The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So you are changing the play as offered in the OP? Nowhere was it stated that any runner entered the dugout without advancing other than the BR. That means the 8.7.U does not apply to the play offered.
Yes, he made up another play to try to illustrate his point. After re-reading, I'm thinking he's actually trying to invent a scenario where bases are loaded with no outs, R1 scores, BR dawdles a LONG time, so long that R2 and R3 advance to their bases and then head to and enter their dugouts AHEAD of BR.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

This thread made me think...

Hypothetically...
Bases loaded, 2 outs.
DK3 AND passed ball.
BR is a new player and doesn't run to 1st until coaches and parents yell "RUN!"
R1 is an experienced player and advances home.
R1 crosses the plate before F2 can retrieve the ball and get back to the plate.
HOWEVER, BR, after a slow start, hasn't reached 1st yet. F2 throws to F3, F3 touches 1st.

If I'm understanding the posts here, R1 run still doesn't count. Is that correct?
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
This thread made me think...

Hypothetically...
Bases loaded, 2 outs.
DK3 AND passed ball.
BR is a new player and doesn't run to 1st until coaches and parents yell "RUN!"
R1 is an experienced player and advances home.
R1 crosses the plate before F2 can retrieve the ball and get back to the plate.
HOWEVER, BR, after a slow start, hasn't reached 1st yet. F2 throws to F3, F3 touches 1st.

If I'm understanding the posts here, R1 run still doesn't count. Is that correct?
Not sure what you are thinking about to be honest ... of course it doesn't. Just like a ground ball where R1 crosses the plate before BR is out at first. No run... NO RUN can score on a play where the BR is put out before reaching 1st base for the third out.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Not sure what you are thinking about to be honest ... of course it doesn't. Just like a ground ball where R1 crosses the plate before BR is out at first. No run... NO RUN can score on a play where the BR is put out before reaching 1st base for the third out.
Here's where my brain went (probably incorrectly, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask)... is there a VALID argument to saying there are TWO plays here? Play 1: passed ball, runner scores. Play 2: DK3.

Yes, I'm probably stretching, but my mind doesn't seem to be working right.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's where my brain went (probably incorrectly, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask)... is there a VALID argument to saying there are TWO plays here? Play 1: passed ball, runner scores. Play 2: DK3.

Think of it this way. Until BR has touched first safely, there is no score. That should pretty much answer your question.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This "play" means from the moment the ball is pitched to the moment the next ball is ready to be pitched.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, he made up another play to try to illustrate his point. After re-reading, I'm thinking he's actually trying to invent a scenario where bases are loaded with no outs, R1 scores, BR dawdles a LONG time, so long that R2 and R3 advance to their bases and then head to and enter their dugouts AHEAD of BR.
Yeah, definitely changing the OP to bring in 8-7-U. The one above is only one of the variants I had mentioned. There are lots of variations on the theme. In all of them, we fix the specification of the league rule in some way to make it right. I don't see why we can't do the same in the OP.
To be consistent you'd have to be willing to make this call or explain some way in which it's different.
________
Avandia settlement

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:35pm.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Consider this one: R1 on 3B and R2 on 1B with 1 out, BR grounds into a 6-4-3 double play. Two distinct 'plays' were made, but the run does NOT score even if R1 touches home before out #2 (i.e. during the first play).
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
To be consistent you'd have to be willing to make this call or explain some way in which it's different.
I disagree; to be consistent, we apply the official rules unless we're explicitly told otherwise by the house rules. There may well be some cases where there is no clear-cut way to handle situations that were not clarified by the house rules, but those rare, convoluted situations should not be taken as the norm for applying official rules.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

League rules supercede the rulebook - they do not invalidate it except where it must.

I will admit that in your scenario that I summarized, I would have no run. Crucify me if you want. Maybe it's partially because that just doesn't happen here. Coaches don't yell out "5 runs!" and then everyone leaves the field. Once the play is over, the UMPIRE tells everyone there have been 5 runs. If a coach told his players to leave the field before the play is over, and somehow R2 andR3 exited the field after reaching their bases but BEFORE BR, and BR ends up being the 3rd out - no run. By rule.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Unbelievable

I was always taught...and have always taught...that no run can score if the 3rd out of an inning is the result of a force out. Did something change?
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This "play" means from the moment the ball is pitched to the moment the next ball is ready to be pitched.
This is what I was having the brain fart moment on.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Coaches don't yell out "5 runs!" and then everyone leaves the field. Once the play is over, the UMPIRE tells everyone there have been 5 runs.
Where ????
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
League rules supercede the rulebook - they do not invalidate it except where it must.

I will admit that in your scenario that I summarized, I would have no run. Crucify me if you want. Maybe it's partially because that just doesn't happen here. Coaches don't yell out "5 runs!" and then everyone leaves the field. Once the play is over, the UMPIRE tells everyone there have been 5 runs. If a coach told his players to leave the field before the play is over, and somehow R2 andR3 exited the field after reaching their bases but BEFORE BR, and BR ends up being the 3rd out - no run. By rule.
Nah, no crucifixion from me. It's consistent which is all that can be asked for.
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:35pm.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Where ????
At the plate ... where else?

West Houston Mike