The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

NSA...Please help me find Injury Rule

Daughter is involved in NSA state tournament this week-end. One of our defensive players was hurt while on the field. Situation: 2 runners on base. Ball hit sharply towards the hole between the second base person and the first base person. Right Fielder charging. Ball hit fringe of grass (where infield dirt stop and outfield grass begins) Ball comes up and clocks the right fielder right in-between the eyes. right fielder goes down. After play is over and fielder removed from field the umpires inform the offensive team they cannot use that particular bat again until it has been inspected by the tournament director or the UIC. Because a player was injured. #1. Where is found in the book. #2 it wasn't the bat or the batter fault this happend and the field is really a good and well kept diamond that is a part of a youth complex with about 8 diamonds on it. It was a freak, instantanous accident. But I would like to see where this is a NSA rule?
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Daughter is involved in NSA state tournament this week-end. One of our defensive players was hurt while on the field. Situation: 2 runners on base. Ball hit sharply towards the hole between the second base person and the first base person. Right Fielder charging. Ball hit fringe of grass (where infield dirt stop and outfield grass begins) Ball comes up and clocks the right fielder right in-between the eyes. right fielder goes down. After play is over and fielder removed from field the umpires inform the offensive team they cannot use that particular bat again until it has been inspected by the tournament director or the UIC. Because a player was injured. #1. Where is found in the book. #2 it wasn't the bat or the batter fault this happend and the field is really a good and well kept diamond that is a part of a youth complex with about 8 diamonds on it. It was a freak, instantanous accident. But I would like to see where this is a NSA rule?
Rule 3 EQUIPMENT
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 12:23am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
Rule 3 EQUIPMENT

Michael:

I just read NSA R3, and no where does it give the umpires the authority to do what they did in the game in the OP just because a player was injured.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

#1 - You're not going to find it in the book, unless the umpires suddenly decided that perhaps it was an altered bat, which is covered under Rule 3 as Michael cited.

#2 - It sounds like it was nothing more than an accident as you described.

Any assumptions about why the umpires decided to take the actions that they did would be just that...assumptions. Bandit, you may have noticed that NSA umpires are checking bats before the games this year (at least we are up here in northern Indiana), whereas previously we did not. I heard that there was an incident last year where someone (somewhere, I don't know where) was hurt by a batted ball and there are some legal issues that are still pending. Perhaps this is a product of that situation. Perhaps the UIC instructed the umpires to take that action. I don't know, but if it was me, barring a directive from the UIC, I would have simply noted the injury on the game card and let the game continue.

Are you playing at HSE? I heard that they were starting games at 11:00 a.m. yesterday because they had over 80 entries in the tournament.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

As above, there are no rules to allow the umpire to do what you said they did... however, considering that you're a fan, perhaps you didn't hear or see something else. I've worked tourneys (rare, but it happens) where the TD's make themselves responsible for bats, so this may have been the case. What might have happened here (and I'm speculating) - is the bat made an odd sound when the ball was hit, and/or the hit itself caused a new dent to appear in the bat - either of which might have been enough that they wanted TD's to recheck the bat.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Michael:

I just read NSA R3, and no where does it give the umpires the authority to do what they did in the game in the OP just because a player was injured.

MTD, Sr.
Wrong notation my part.

Here's the answer, read number 6:

BPA / NSA Umpire Policies & Procedures
Instituted 3/8/07; Updated FEBRUARY 25, 2010
Topics Index:
Timeliness
Dress Code
On-Fence Timers
Pay Scale 2010
Payment Policies
Batted Ball Injury Procedure
Balls Out-of-Play Procedure - Liability Issue
Pre-Game Meeting

1. Timeliness -- -- Be at Tournament Site NOT LESS THAN 30 MINUTES before your scheduled game time.
. . You MUST CHECK IN with the Site UIC, Site Supervisor, or Tournament Director upon arrival.

POLICY: If You Arrive Late for Your First Game, or Do Not Check In as Noted,
Your Pay Will Be Docked a ˝ Game Fee.
2. Mandatory Dress Code -- ALL BPA / NSA UNIFORM EQUIPMENT IS ONLY AVAILABLE ...

(A) DIRECTLY THROUGH THE BPA / NSA APPAREL WEBSITE; or
(B) POSSIBLY FROM UIC OR TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR, IF AND ONLY IF THEY HAVE ON-HAND INVENTORY.
You MUST Sanction NSA and/or BPA (or BOTH) in order to obtain your Sanction Number which then allows you to order uniform apparel directly from NSA / BPA headquarters.
UNDERSTAND that it is YOUR Responsibility to have the proper uniform -- NOT the UIC, Tournament Director or Site Supervisor.
A. BPA or NSA Uniform: Official BPA / NSA cap, White BPA / NSA Shirt with Embroidered Logo, Embroidered Logo Ball Bag, Heather Gray Pants, Black Shoes / Black Socks / Black Belt; Also Official NSA / BPA Jacket when weather dictates.

B. POLICY: Fine of One Full Game’s Pay for EACH DAY that You Officiate Not in Proper Tournament Uniform.

3. On-Fence Digital Timers -- UMPIRES MUST HAVE AND USE VISIBLE FENCE-MOUNTED DIGITAL COUNT-DOWN TIMERS (NOT wrist watches, cellphone timers, or umpire indicator timers; these can be used as back-ups only!) for the game time limits. For All NSA Tournament Games, Clock will Start At The Conclusion of
the Pre-Game Meeting.

POLICY: If You Do Not Use an On-fence Digital Count-down Timer, Your Pay Will Be Docked
a ˝ Game Fee.
4.1 -- 2010 NSA Girls Fast-Pitch Softball; Base Pay Scale -- $28.00 per Game (all age levels)
4.2 -- 2010 BPA Baseball: Base Pay Scale/Gm. -- $33.00 (9u-12u); $36.00 (13u-14u); $38.00 (15u- and up)

When you attend a State Level NSA / BPA Clinic / Rules Interpretation Meeting
(MANDATORY, EACH YEAR, starting in 2007), your NSA-BPA Tournament Pay Rate
will INCREASE $3.00 PER GAME throughout the entire season.
When You Attended the Zone or National Clinic at Least Once Every Three Years,
your NSA-BPA Tournament Pay will Again INCREASE an ADDITIONAL $3.00 PER GAME,
over that Entire 3-year Period.
In order to maintain those pay grades, you MUST attend the Zone or National Clinic not less than Once Every Three (3) Years, and the Annual Clinic / Rules Interp. Meeting Yearly.
5. Tournament Payment Policies -- Whenever possible, Payments to Officials for Tournament Games Worked shall be made at Conclusion of the Tournament.

6. NSA / BPA Batted Ball-Injury Procedure – PLEASE PAY SPECIAL HEED!

Home Plate Umpire shall secure the Bat and Ball; Label and Mark Team Name on the bat and give to the tournament director or tournament staff representative, or onsite UIC.
Base Umpire observes player(s), motions coaches/managers to come out, at the conclusion of the play.
7. Balls Out-of-Play -- All Balls Going Out-of-Play and out of the Umpires’ field
of vision MUST RETURN TO PLAY ONLY THROUGH THE PLATE UMPIRE. This relates
specifically to a Liability Issue that may come into play if and when a non-NSA-approved ball may be involved in a player injury.

8. Pre-Game Meeting -- In all Tournament Play, a Pre-Game Meeting will be held at home plate, between the Home Plate Umpire and the Manager/Head Coach of each team. Specific points to be covered are contained in the information handed out in the Clinics.

9. State Tournament and World Series Tournament Selection – Will be on the basis of merit, AND with Strong Emphasis and First Consideration given to those willing to invest in themselves and their continuing self-improvement by attending the Clinics. FYI, I’ve had the good fortune to send anywhere from two to 24 officials to recent World Series Contests. The Harder You Work at Being Good, Competent and Professional in your Officiating Duties, the better your chances of earning a World Series Invitation.

A. NOTE: WORLD SERIES EVENTS ARE MULTI-DAY OFFICIATING COMMITMENTS (which for NSA requires generally as much as a Full Week Commitment; for BPA, it’s typically Thursday through Sunday, if you get to work the finals).
1. THIS YEAR’S NSA CONTESTS are Slated for July 25-31.
2. THE BPA WORLD SERIES EVENTS Run from July 21-25.
B. In order to qualify to work any of these events, you are expected to work a significant number of NSA and/or BPA tournaments throughout the season. These W.S. Events are Invitation Only Opportunities. Selection is made my merit, and as defined above.
C. It’s only February; yet I HAVE ALREADY BEEN REQUESTED TO START COMPILING “INTEREST / AVAILABILITY” FOR THESE CONTESTS.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

at this years ASA meeting with the ASA State reps we talked about this situation and we were told to do the same thing. It is strictly to rule out umpire fault in the event of a lawsuit. Our country has become so lawsuit happy and not wanting to accept responsibility for there own actions or that it was just an accident that we as umpires have to protect ourselves more than we ever have.
Old Sun Jul 04, 2010, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Michael, your list must be Virginia specific. Some items are similar to what we use here in Indiana, but some things, such as items 6, 7, and 8, are not anything I've ever seen before.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Couple of follow-up questions, please

MichaelVA2000...where did this come from?

mbcrowder...who are you referring to being "a fan".

BlitzkriegBob...Yes we were playing at HSE. And yes some games did start extremely early on Friday.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=MichaelVA2000;684435]Wrong notation my part.

Home Plate Umpire shall secure the Bat and Ball; Label and Mark Team Name on the bat and give to the tournament director or tournament staff representative, or onsite UIC.
Base Umpire observes player(s), motions coaches/managers to come out, at the conclusion of the play.

Please comment on the portion abouve mentioning that coaches/managers may come out at the conclusion of the play......Our player had and was hit in the head and dropped IMMEDIATELY. Please tell me that they expect the umpires to STOP the play in this instance IMMEDIATELY !!!
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Please comment on the portion abouve mentioning that coaches/managers may come out at the conclusion of the play......Our player had and was hit in the head and dropped IMMEDIATELY. Please tell me that they expect the umpires to STOP the play in this instance IMMEDIATELY !!!
Well, if the umpires stop this play immediately, then the play has concluded, no? Personally, yes, in the situation you described, I would stop it immediately.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MichaelVA2000...where did this come from?

mbcrowder...who are you referring to being "a fan".

BlitzkriegBob...Yes we were playing at HSE. And yes some games did start extremely early on Friday.
This information came from:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If questions or concerns, contact Barry Parks, BPA Illinois State UIC, and
NSA Illinois / Chicagoland South Girls Fast-pitch Area UIC – 708.946.1439, or [email protected]

My point was to show that during MSA sanctioned games umpires can confiscate the bat or ball during a game due to injury. #6 was covered at our VA state NSA clinic.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Injury protocol

Although there is nothing specifically in writing in our rule book or casebook, in this day and age we follow the guidance given by our National UIC.

We all know there are people out there circumventing rules and people are getting hurt.

We absolutely teach to stop play immediately if there is an injury whether it is youth or adult. You can sort thins out later but the health of the player is paramount.

The following is an email from Mr. Cantrell from 2006. Things have not changed much. actually getting worse.

Hope this helps clear this up.

Bill

Hey folks,

This is a friendly reminder to our umpires about injuries in NSA sanctioned play. We have gotten a few this year and for the most part we have done a pretty good job of doing what we are supposed to do concerning injuries. But, some of us have either forgot the protocol or haven't been to a clinic or convention when this was discussed. So in brief I'll go over the procedure of what we are to do when we have an injury on the field concerning the equipment.

1st - someone secure the bat and the ball and never lose sight of it, lock them both in a room, car or somewhere secure.

2nd - Issue the owner of the bat and ball a receipt for the bat and ball

I know that this may sound a little non-feeling towards the injured player but we have directors, fellow teammates, park directors, uic's or our partner on the field to tend to the injured player while waiting on medical personnel to arrive.

3rd - Ship the bat to me here at the NSA National Office @ 101 NSA Way, Nicholasville, Ky 40356.

What will happen to the bat and ball then is this. I will compression check the bat. If the bat compression is lower than what would be normal break in level for that model we will either send the bat to NY university for bpf testing or sent to the mfg if the bat looks to be tampered with.

We have one bat at a mfg now from an injury that looked altered to me when it arrived and I immediately sent it off to the mfg to see what their findings were.

If the player refuses to give the bat or ball up, then we refer to the altered bat and ball rule in the Official NSA Rule Book in Rule 3; Equipment.

Lastly, we HAVE TO HAVE a injury report on file. Even if the injury looks minor, it could escalate to something more serious and we have to have the report on file. This is to protect you as an umpire if the case goes to court, and it gives NSA, and our insurance company firm ground to stand on; that we have done everything in our power to protect our players well being. If we cover all the bases, we are all protected; but it starts with you the umpire, the uic, the director, the zone VP.

Make sure that this is sent to all of your uic's, umpires, directors, state directors, parks, leagues, etc.

Have a "BLESSED DAY"! John 3:16
Eddie Ray Cantrell
NSA/BPA Executive VP & National Director of Umpires