The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Can't Find This Rule!

A-1 lets fly a three point attempt which I signal....while the ball is in the air, B-1 pushes A-2 underneath trying to position for the rebound....The 3-point attempt is good which I signal...The Lead Official called B-1 for the push, and we're in the bonus, so he signals two foul shots, and reports to the table....B Coach adamantly tells him we only shoot one foul if the 3-point attempt is good.....I know he is wrong, but in the heat of the moment, doubt sets in....He asked me as Ref for the correct rule, and I told him "No team control on the attempted shot....we shoot two for the foul in the bonus." Did we get it right?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

It's very simple. The only time you shoot one shot is a foul on a shooter when the try is successful.

So, was this foul on a shooter? If not, what is the penalty for a common foul?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 09:08pm
Official Fiveum Member

Question

Were they in single bonus or double bonus? It makes a difference as to how many shots they would get, 1 and 1, or 2.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
A-1 lets fly a three point attempt which I signal....while the ball is in the air, B-1 pushes A-2 underneath trying to position for the rebound....The 3-point attempt is good which I signal...The Lead Official called B-1 for the push, and we're in the bonus, so he signals two foul shots, and reports to the table....B Coach adamantly tells him we only shoot one foul if the 3-point attempt is good.....I know he is wrong, but in the heat of the moment, doubt sets in....He asked me as Ref for the correct rule, and I told him "No team control on the attempted shot....we shoot two for the foul in the bonus." Did we get it right?
You got it right.

A follow up... Say the foul by B1 was before the ball left A1's hand. Do we count the basket and shoot the bonus? Or does the foul by B1 end the play so we shoot bonus only? I believe Continuous Motion applies here so we count the basket and shoot. Can anyone confirm for me?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 09:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Confirmed. A foul by B does not cause the ball to become dead if A has already started his shooting motion.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Just to explain what the coach was thinking, the rule he was referencing is an NBA rule. I see it once a game when I watch the Trailblazers, most recently Steve Blake making a three and During the shot Rudy Fernandez gets pushed, Rudy shoots 1 FT.

Jasper
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratref View Post
Just to explain what the coach was thinking, the rule he was referencing is an NBA rule. I see it once a game when I watch the Trailblazers, most recently Steve Blake making a three and During the shot Rudy Fernandez gets pushed, Rudy shoots 1 FT.

Jasper
Thanks...that must be his thought...thanks for all the responses......
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 10:58am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratref View Post

Jasper
stratref - are you in the Portland area? BTW - it looks like Greg Oden is out for the year - AGAIN! Too bad for Blazer fans.