The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

TWP that actually happened

OK, this happened about 2 years ago (and it was in 8U... where all the TWP's happen), but it happened and I've been gone a while. Let some of the newer folks take a shot at this before the big guns come in and answer.

R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st, no outs.

Batter hits a medium-high trouble ball between RF and CF. R1 takes off, R2 holds to see if it's caught. Ball falls to the ground, but 3BCoach thinks it's caught and yells at R1 to get back. R2 sees it drop and easily makes it to 2nd. 1BC is watching the ball and waiving his arm, so BR keeps going. R2 standing on 2nd when R1 and BR both slide into 2nd at about the same time.

Meanwhile, CF retrieves the ball and throws it over F1's head. F2 retrieves and gets it back to pitcher because that's what she always does.

F1 has the ball in the circle and makes absolutely no indication that she's going to ever make a play.

What do you do?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

if my memory serves me, and as i age it does not do a good job, there is a case play like (fed i think) this but they put neither runner moves. ruling. call time and put the one back on first. if wrong someone will point it out. if right someone will probably find the play or the one i am thinking of.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

As long as no runner has passed a preceding runner R1 and BR are not entitled to 2B and if they don't move they (only one) are guilty of LBR. Dead ball and someone is out.

Paul
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.Ump View Post
As long as no runner has passed a preceding runner R1 and BR are not entitled to 2B and if they don't move they (only one) are guilty of LBR. Dead ball and someone is out.

Paul
Where does it mention "entitled to" in the LBR?
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

I would do nothing until SOMEONE realized that there were 3 runners standing on 2nd. Then, if they tag them, I say R1 out ( she is forced ) R2 safe ( is entitled to base) BR out (she is not entitled to 2nd.) Not looking in a rule book, just guessing!
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Where does it mention "entitled to" in the LBR?
Tom it does not. But in “S” right above it does. Just trying to get an out. I guess we should just stand there until something happens.

Paul
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
OK, this happened about 2 years ago (and it was in 8U... where all the TWP's happen), but it happened and I've been gone a while. Let some of the newer folks take a shot at this before the big guns come in and answer.

R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st, no outs.

Batter hits a medium-high trouble ball between RF and CF. R1 takes off, R2 holds to see if it's caught. Ball falls to the ground, but 3BCoach thinks it's caught and yells at R1 to get back. R2 sees it drop and easily makes it to 2nd. 1BC is watching the ball and waiving his arm, so BR keeps going. R2 standing on 2nd when R1 and BR both slide into 2nd at about the same time.

Meanwhile, CF retrieves the ball and throws it over F1's head. F2 retrieves and gets it back to pitcher because that's what she always does.

F1 has the ball in the circle and makes absolutely no indication that she's going to ever make a play.

What do you do?
Speaking ASA

The umpire(s) should give it a couple seconds to see if anyone reacts or makes a move. If none, the ball should be declared dead, R1 is placed on 3B, R2 stays on 2B and the now-R3 is returned to 1B.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
. Let some of the newer folks take a shot at this before the big guns come in and answer.
Oh well.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Mike, of course, nailed it.

Don't forget that if any of these runners realizes they are where they shouldn't be, and pitcher is still doing nothing - if they leave the base, they are out.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Don't forget that if any of these runners realizes they are where they shouldn't be, and pitcher is still doing nothing - if they leave the base, they are out.
wait a minute... where is my credit for remembering it.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
wait a minute... where is my credit for remembering it.
I believe that case play was FED, and only 2 runners. But I guess we'll give partial credit.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Really?

Well, yeah, I guess so. The rule says "a base" not "a base that they're entitled to."
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

well fed has a similar play from the casebook. in section 8.

bases load r3 steals (why, who knows?), r2 does nothing, ball in circle, pitcher does nothing. pu waits a little to see if r3 will do nothing. nope. rules dead ball and calls r3 out.

how you like them apples? add that to the asa vs feds differences.

and you guys are slipping if I find this 5 days later

Last edited by ronald; Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 11:05am. Reason: for humor
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Can you post the actual play... I thought it was also FED that had the opposite case play that mirrors ASA.

Incidentally, what in the world are they calling R3 out for - what rule is cited?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
well fed has a similar play from the casebook. in section 8.

bases load r3 steals (why, who knows?), r2 does nothing, ball in circle, pitcher does nothing. pu waits a little to see if r3 will do nothing. nope. rules dead ball and calls r3 out.

how you like them apples? add that to the asa vs feds differences.

and you guys are slipping if I find this 5 days later
Think it is a different play. Batter ball where they were on the base before the ball reached the pitcher in the circle and are out, by rule, if any of them leave the base. The play above doesn't state when the ball reached the pitcher in the circle.