The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

BU mechanics

I was traveling out of state this w/e and dropped in on a HS game in the 5th inning. It was a post season varsity game involving large public schools; good quality of play. Of course I watch the umpires more than the players. On the several occasions when BU was on the line and came into the infield he never looked toward first base to observe a touch or possible obstruction by F3. The PU may have been looking for these things, but I'm not aware of any system that gives those duties to PU. Does any system teach that mechanic, i.e., that BU does not watch the touch and OBS at 1B? I do know that if there was OBS or no touch BU would not have seen it.
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

You observed a base umpire with poor mechanics; it is the BU responsibility to see these actions, no matter WHAT system he thinks they are working.

Maybe they (in that area) try to use lesser rated umpires in an early round, thinking no big game, reward those that showed commitment when possible. Regardless, poor.
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
You observed a base umpire with poor mechanics; it is the BU responsibility to see these actions, no matter WHAT system he thinks they are working.

Maybe they (in that area) try to use lesser rated umpires in an early round, thinking no big game, reward those that showed commitment when possible. Regardless, poor.

What he said.

Thread over.
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Both correct, but just an add-on. As PU, I would watch that runner as well, as if the BU is in A, there are no other runners.

Hijack - Is "rimming" accepted in your area and if so, what technique do you use as BU to observe the above?
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
....Hijack - Is "rimming" accepted in your area and if so, what technique do you use as BU to observe the above?
In AZ HS ball, we have allowed "rimming" for the last two seasons. The technique I use is to look at first base and see the runner touch and/or potential obstruction. Personally, I prefer to use the rim when appropriate.

We do not teach rimming to our new umpires and instruct them to buttonhook inside on every ball hit to the outfield. For the experienced umpires, using the rim is an option, but not mandatory.
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Makes me wonder where some umpires around here get their information. I was working a NCAA game the other day. The BU used rimming for everything, and I mean everything that was hit to the outfield. Any field and even with runners on he stayed out. I hadn't worked with him much so I e-mailed my assignor and asked her to watch him and correct him. It was a royal pain working with him. Dave
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Can you guys help me understand exactly what you are calling rimming. I originally read about it in a Pony Manual which said to use it on balls hit to the right of F8 and if BR is going to 3B, take her to 2B on the outside and then cut back into the infield to take her to 3B.

However, in a game I recently did as BU, my partner said that if he saw me start on the rim and the runner was going to 3B, that he would come up the line and cover 3B, implying that I couldn't take her all the way to 3B if I started the play on the rim.

Time was getting short in the pregame, so I just went with that.

So do some rim systems teach BU to not take BR beyond 2B?
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

What you described is proper 'rimming' technique. I would pay attention to my partner as PU and only take 3b if he couldn't get there. I am not going to pregame the 'I will take 3b'.
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Outathm,

I described a technique from the Pony manual and a different one that my partner wanted me to work. Which are you referring to as proper? Thnx.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 04:56am
Official Forum Member

Rimming really shouldn't be used on a hit that you believe will be more than a double. The reason is that the B-R is your's to 3B and you will cut inside after the B-R passes 2B - this puts you behind the play going into 3B. That's not a good place to make a call from. I use rimming whenever I can on balls that are straight at or to the right of F8 and appear to be a single or double.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Okay, now that you have gotten this deep into the mechanic, you are going to have to pay me to keep my mouth shut (like there is that much money out there ).
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
(like there is that much money out there ).
Can you somehow work in a diatribe about the LBR?
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Rimming really shouldn't be used on a hit that you believe will be more than a double. The reason is that the B-R is your's to 3B and you will cut inside after the B-R passes 2B - this puts you behind the play going into 3B. That's not a good place to make a call from. I use rimming whenever I can on balls that are straight at or to the right of F8 and appear to be a single or double.
When I do it, if anything but a single I cut in as soon as the runner passes, shortening the distance to a good position for any play at 2nd or 3rd.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Please describe rimming

I've heard the term but never had it thoroughly explained. I'm picking up bits and pieces from this thread, however, I would like more details.

Thanks!
Randall
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Randall,

It's diagramed out on page 25 of the Pony Manual: 2010 Girls Fastpitch Softball Umpires Manual

Page 26 shows the button hook we all know and love.

Pony teaches to do one or the other depending upon where the ball is hit with respect to F8.

I'm sure some of the guys here can really bring it to life.