The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics - 9-3 out

2-man mechanics. An old partner and I are having, um, "healthy debate" about the following.

R1, BU in B. Sharp "single" directly at F9. PU trails play up 1st base a bit, BU comes inside to watch runner at 2nd base - PU has touch at 1st base.

F9 comes up firing to first and it's bang-bang.

PU yells "OUT!" as BU makes the safe signal.

Whose call is this, and do you cover this as a normal part of your pregame?
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

This is the BU's call.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
BU's call. If R1 should continue to 3rd, PU will take the call at 3rd with BU staying behind R1 to box in the play for a possible run down. BU can take both calls, but it looks better to split them up.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

BU's call unless otherwise covered by the umpiring crew in a pre-game.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

What they said. If the BU is not going out, s/he will always have the call at 1st & 2nd.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I am sure I will get raked over the coals after everyone reads what I do. On a sharply hit ball like you described, I stay out and make the call from outside the diamond. I have seen it before where the BU is hustling inside only to not get there in time to see the play. If the throw goes to first or second I can make the call from outside. The PU can take a possible call at third. Dave
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

We will get cooked together

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
I am sure I will get raked over the coals after everyone reads what I do. On a sharply hit ball like you described, I stay out and make the call from outside the diamond. I have seen it before where the BU is hustling inside only to not get there in time to see the play. If the throw goes to first or second I can make the call from outside. The PU can take a possible call at third. Dave
I have used the same mechanic as well. Especially on a sharp hit ball. Definately something to cover at the pregame so the PU isn't 2/3 to first and then trying to cover 3rd as R1 doesn't even break stride around 2nd. I am just not that fast.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

I go along with the BU's call.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Staying out

Sometimes you have to stay out to keep the play in front of you. Particularly if F9 is playing in close on a sharply hit ball. There just isn't time to get inside. On these I treat it the same as if F4 had fielded the ball.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, a 2 man crew has its limitations and weaknessess. This is the BU's call with the PU as a backup. In this situation, the PU shouldn't stray away from home due to the potential play at third. You were in the right position for both the call at first, any call at second, and if needed the play at home.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Thank you all. I can now print this page and show him that he is alone in his assessment that this is "univerally PU's call" in his words. I appreciate the input!
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
Sometimes you have to stay out to keep the play in front of you. Particularly if F9 is playing in close on a sharply hit ball. There just isn't time to get inside. On these I treat it the same as if F4 had fielded the ball.
That's fine, but in that case, you should handle the status of the ball and let the PU take the runner.

Remember, in the OP, the BU was able to get inside for the play.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
That's fine, but in that case, you should handle the status of the ball and let the PU take the runner.

Remember, in the OP, the BU was able to get inside for the play.
I disagree. Why should the PU take the call at first? I am still 15-18 ft. behind first base in the A position, the same as I would be on a ball hit to F4.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

15-18 ft behind first base would be right in the path of the ball - you'd be dodging, or if you're watching the ball entirely, having to turn too much during the throw to be in good position.

My friend and I actually agreed that if BU was stuck outside on this, that PU has the call. It was the inside sitch we disagreed on.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
I disagree. Why should the PU take the call at first? I am still 15-18 ft. behind first base in the A position, the same as I would be on a ball hit to F4.
Because if you are handling the status of the ball, you are going out on the play, that's why.