The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'm confused. Is anybody actually contending that in ASA a nicked pitch, not perceptibly deflected, that bounces off the catcher's mask and then falls into his glove is an out?
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
I'm confused. Is anybody actually contending that in ASA a nicked pitch, not perceptibly deflected, that bounces off the catcher's mask and then falls into his glove is an out?
Not necessarily, but can you cite a rule which prevents such a ruling? Let's go a little further. How about a batted ball that goes directly to the catcher's shoulder, rises 10-15 feet into the air and the catcher grabs and holds the ball prior to it touching the ground or anything else?
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm, Mike. This conversation sounds familiar...
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
Yes, Dave is; post #7. And I thought I read Mike as telling me he was right.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:20pm.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 09:29pm
Archaic Power Monger

I found this in the 2008 book...sorry for not posting from a current version but this is the latest I have.

RS 22 Foul Ball / Foul Tip:

"...The defintion of a foul ball has not changed. However, a foul tip is now defined as a batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's glove / mitt or hand and is legally caught by the catcher. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball remains live in Fast Pitch and Slow Pitch with stealing.

It is not a catch if the ball rebounds off the catcher, unless the ball has first touched the catcher's glove / mitt or hand. Again only a foul tip can be caught by the catcher."

Looking at the bolded sentence above, it seems to me that a ball hit sharply and directly back that does not first hit a catcher's glove or hand is a foul ball.
Old Sat May 08, 2010, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I found this in the 2008 book...sorry for not posting from a current version but this is the latest I have.

RS 22 Foul Ball / Foul Tip:

"...The defintion of a foul ball has not changed. However, a foul tip is now defined as a batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's glove / mitt or hand and is legally caught by the catcher. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball remains live in Fast Pitch and Slow Pitch with stealing.

It is not a catch if the ball rebounds off the catcher, unless the ball has first touched the catcher's glove / mitt or hand. Again only a foul tip can be caught by the catcher."

Looking at the bolded sentence above, it seems to me that a ball hit sharply and directly back that does not first hit a catcher's glove or hand is a foul ball.
This is in reference to the difference between a foul ball and a foul tip. The highlighted sentence is stressing the point that the ball. And again, the rule does NOT require the foul ball to be sharply, just directly.

Everyone on this thread are going to pick apart the rules and RS to justify the call that is made. There is no way around it that there is no rule as presently written that supports a simple foul ball call.

I understand it is called a foul ball, but as Bretman will tell you , I'm just reading the rules.