The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmielke View Post
If the team that is supposed to bat stays on defense and the team that is supposed to be on defense stays in the dug out waiting for you to allow them to bat again who forfeits?
I'll throw it back to you...what would you do?

I've already stated my position pretty clearly...the team that refused to bat when it was their turn to bat loses the game by forfeit.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

"The coed league no longer exists."

I lived in central Jersey for more than 50 years. As enormously popular as softball was for decades, "that league no longer exists" applies to most of the leagues in that area today. Some leagues that had flourished for my entire life declined and folded over very short spans of time, such as from 12 competitive teams in 2005 to oblivion by 2007.

But I remember when there were softball fields seemingly everywhere, when township and business leagues had two or even three divisions of play, and when you could put your team in a competitive tournament every weekend from April through October.

Regarding Freaks and Mayhems: in 1978, my team finished third in the strongest SP county league in the state. Many of the players in that league also played on Trenton's professional team. We went 21-9 averaging under 6 runs a game. Our pitcher threw six shutouts that season.

This is not to imply that SP is dying everywhere. Clearly, it's not. But it may be that New Jersey has become so expensive that SP's natural base of blue-collar ballplayers has simply shrunk too much.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post

I've already stated my position pretty clearly...the team that refused to bat when it was their turn to bat loses the game by forfeit.
I don't have much of answer other than telling them they can't do that, refusing to participate in their sham, and reporting it to the state association; and let the administrators decide how to treat the score, game and schools.

I challenge how you could declare a forfeit for failing to bat when there is no team on the field preparing to play defense. Here is a case where you must have an egg to make an egg sandwich (there has to be a pitch to bat, and there has to be a pitcher to make a pitch, as well as the rules requiring 9 defensive players, 8 of whom must be present in fair territory to have a legal pitch).
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

In a 24-0 JV game there is "no game". JV for much of the country are an instructional tool used by coaches and schools to prepare players for the varsity level.I'd be the first one to agree in an varsity game there are no "rule
adjustments" but when officiating an 24-0 game commonsense should prevail.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

if you don't have much either, then what you have is a wish sandwich, and you wish you had some meat, baow baow baow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I don't have much of answer other than telling them they can't do that, refusing to participate in their sham, and reporting it to the state association; and let the administrators decide how to treat the score, game and schools.

I challenge how you could declare a forfeit for failing to bat when there is no team on the field preparing to play defense. Here is a case where you must have an egg to make an egg sandwich (there has to be a pitch to bat, and there has to be a pitcher to make a pitch, as well as the rules requiring 9 defensive players, 8 of whom must be present in fair territory to have a legal pitch).
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

if there is "no game", there needs to be no more need for an official. it's called practice if that's what both teams wish to continue, and the official has already done his job to get paid for both teams. time for a forfeit, there's nothing else left to play out. that's your common sense, go home, and have dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN View Post
In a 24-0 JV game there is "no game". JV for much of the country are an instructional tool used by coaches and schools to prepare players for the varsity level.I'd be the first one to agree in an varsity game there are no "rule
adjustments" but when officiating an 24-0 game commonsense should prevail.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

Great line Steve!
OK...I think we're all in agreement with what you said in your first paragraph if this sitch occurred in a HS (V/JV/Fr) game. We're not going to let the team do that, game is over at that point, higher authorities make the decision as to the official result of the game. They can call it whatever they want, we really don't care....not our worry.

So let's say we're working a non HS, or a non tournament game like a house league or rec league game. Same sitch as the OP. Team A is on defense, they're getting crushed by Team B. Team A records the 3rd out to end the half inning, and HC of A tells his team to stay out in their defensive positions as the HC tells you "we want to forgo our time at bat, and let Team B bat again, and we'll continue to play defense."

PU: "Coach you can't do that."
HC/A: But we want to...and the HC of B is OK with us doing it."

At this point what do we have? Many good arguments have been made as to why you cannot declare the game a forfeit. and I can see where the points made are certainly valid...but then what is this bizzaro sitch considered by rule?

I'm ready to be swayed to the other side of the debate.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
A team refusing to play is a forfeit.
Ok, but if no one actually tracks wins and losses of JV games and JV games don't lead to championship play, as stated, the game is still over. Who are you reporting the forfeit to if no one tracks wins and losses??
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocatzdad View Post
Ok, but if no one actually tracks wins and losses of JV games and JV games don't lead to championship play, as stated, the game is still over. Who are you reporting the forfeit to if no one tracks wins and losses??
In Florida, the FHSAA would take this seriously and would probably fine the school. Our reports go to FHSAA on any game that doesn't finish "normally," including JV games.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Great line Steve!
OK...I think we're all in agreement with what you said in your first paragraph if this sitch occurred in a HS (V/JV/Fr) game. We're not going to let the team do that, game is over at that point, higher authorities make the decision as to the official result of the game. They can call it whatever they want, we really don't care....not our worry.

So let's say we're working a non HS, or a non tournament game like a house league or rec league game. Same sitch as the OP. Team A is on defense, they're getting crushed by Team B. Team A records the 3rd out to end the half inning, and HC of A tells his team to stay out in their defensive positions as the HC tells you "we want to forgo our time at bat, and let Team B bat again, and we'll continue to play defense."

PU: "Coach you can't do that."
HC/A: But we want to...and the HC of B is OK with us doing it."

At this point what do we have? Many good arguments have been made as to why you cannot declare the game a forfeit. and I can see where the points made are certainly valid...but then what is this bizzaro sitch considered by rule?

I'm ready to be swayed to the other side of the debate.
Even a house league or rec league has some type of authority structure. If team A refuses to bat, stop the game, file a report with the league and let them deal with it. Unless, of course, the league has put in guidelines or rules addressing this situation....
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Even a house league or rec league has some type of authority structure. If team A refuses to bat, stop the game, file a report with the league and let them deal with it. Unless, of course, the league has put in guidelines or rules addressing this situation....
We've covered that aspect of the sitch already...no disagreement that these would be the appropriate steps to follow.

The question posed is what specific book rule applies here. I've stated that I felt that any rule code's forfeit rule would apply here. Many posters have been of the opinion that the rules covering forfeits cannot be applied here. The reasons they have stated have made me rethink my position to the point of my thinking to myself..."OK, I think you're right. It probably does meet the rule book criteria for a forfeit. So, if it's not a forfeit, what is it considered by rule?"
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We've covered that aspect of the sitch already...no disagreement that these would be the appropriate steps to follow.

The question posed is what specific book rule applies here. I've stated that I felt that any rule code's forfeit rule would apply here. Many posters have been of the opinion that the rules covering forfeits cannot be applied here. The reasons they have stated have made me rethink my position to the point of my thinking to myself..."OK, I think you're right. It probably does meet the rule book criteria for a forfeit. So, if it's not a forfeit, what is it considered by rule?"
KJ, you're right on the verge, man. I challenged your decision that the team refusing to bat was the team that forfeits; but I agree its IS a forfeit.

I'm not the administrative body, but, absent a local rule allowing (what we used to call a) "flip-flop", if it were my call, I would declare a double forfeit if neither team was willing to take the next position required by rule.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What I'm saying is that as the umpire....you don't declare anything.

Neither team wants to play...leave the field...file the report...let the league authorities decide the status of the game....
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Question

Does anyone know of any rule set that allows the team ahead to skip a turn at bat so that the slaughter rule inning will be reached in less time?
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well, think it all the way through. How are they refusing to bat? The pitcher is never "ready" - so no pitch ever started. Seems to me the other team is just as "guilty" of not playing as the leading team.

That said, there's nothing worse than the 14-0 in the 2nd inning game where the leading team gets on base and steps off on purpose to get out. To me, that shows up the other team WAY more than simply saying, "We don't need to bat this inning."

West Houston Mike