The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up ASA Softball

First year umpire with ASA. I have previous experience doing baseball, so I decided to give softball a try.

I feel so overwhelmed with all of the rules that softball has. Anyone have some good advice, learning modules, or any websites that I can go to to help me learn the rules, mechanics, positioning etc.?

Thank You!
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial View Post
First year umpire with ASA. I have previous experience doing baseball, so I decided to give softball a try.

I feel so overwhelmed with all of the rules that softball has. Anyone have some good advice, learning modules, or any websites that I can go to to help me learn the rules, mechanics, positioning etc.?

Thank You!
Go to www.asasoftball.com and visit umpires page. Download the pdf formatted ASA Test.

Take the test with your rule book
Attend every clinic you can find
Attend a school, if available
Read the Rules Supplements in the book
Read the Umpire Manual in the book
Observe experienced umpires

Remember not to take everything literally. Apply the rules when applicable; don't try to out think the book; don't try to justify what you do or do not find in the rules or on the field. Remember 10.3.C is your authorization to rule on situations NOT covered by rule, not to misapply a rule with which you may not agree.

If you find something that seems askew, check with your local rules interpreter/uic/whatever to check out the proper interpretation. When you see another umpire perform a mechanic that is unfamiliar, check it out in the manual and then question your local uic. Understand that being a veteran official does not make everything done on the field the right thing and longevity just means someone has been doing this for a long time. Consistency really only counts when you are consistently right

Did I happen to mention you should attend every clinic you can find?

One last thing, softball is not baseball for girls or beer-bellied men. It is a sport of its own which happens to share a source of origin with baseball.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

find the best association in your area. if you've already joined association, join the best one you can find also. nothing wrong w/ joining more than one assoc. your local players and coaches will be more than willing to tell you where the best umpires work, and where are the best fields, and also the worst. the best assocs will usually do softball, both slowpitch & fastpitch, and/or baseball too sometimes. usually the best association will be heavily stacked with college level fastpitch umps.

stay away from "officiating" associations that do other sports, like volleyball, football, soccer, basketball, wrestling, you name it, and they do it. those are usually officiating sweatshops, and are good for getting assignments to get paid.

you can read as much as you like, take all the exams you can, attend all the clinics you can cram, but that still won't replace good partners and experienced solid mates that want to teach you, and I stress "want". stay away from the "you are on your own" shops.

but, if you want to do a national, you will still need to attend at least one national ASA clinic to qualify.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
but, if you want to do a national, you will still need to attend at least one national ASA clinic to qualify.
I think leaps are illegal.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

not in utrip slowpitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I think leaps are illegal.

Last edited by shagpal; Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 02:41pm.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Unless they're the majority of the guys doing slow pitch in my area.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
Unless they're the majority of the guys doing slow pitch in my area.
Some college coaches tell their players to play SP as opposed to nothing because they get the fielding and throwing reps.

Many of the mechanics in FP & SP are relatively the same, just some starting points are different.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

One of the main reasons I agree to work adult slow pitch is the great practice I get as base umpire. One of the reasons I don't really like it is all the double fist bumping, lazy, "gotta be" yelling, fellows that think they're doing a good job of umpiring. There's a lot of misinformation out there.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Go to www.asasoftball.com and visit umpires page. Download the pdf formatted ASA Test.

Take the test with your rule book
Attend a school, if available
Read the Rules Supplements in the book
Read the Umpire Manual in the book

Remember not to take everything literally. Apply the rules when applicable; don't try to out think the book; don't try to justify what you do or do not find in the rules or on the field. Remember 10.3.C is your authorization to rule on situations NOT covered by rule, not to misapply a rule with which you may not agree.

If you find something that seems askew, check with your local rules interpreter/uic/whatever to check out the proper interpretation. When you see another umpire perform a mechanic that is unfamiliar, check it out in the manual and then question your local uic. Understand that being a veteran official does not make everything done on the field the right thing and longevity just means someone has been doing this for a long time. Consistency really only counts when you are consistently right

Did I happen to mention you should attend every clinic you can find?

One last thing, softball is not baseball for girls or beer-bellied men. It is a sport of its own which happens to share a source of origin with baseball.
Hopefully, the only relevant reply to the OP helped. But I would add, go to lots of clinics ; listen to advice after finding out who really knows the best umpiring including this forum.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial View Post

Go to NFHS Softball page, under Softball Resources select Softball and Baseball Rules Differences. NFHS | Softball

This will help you learn what you need to know that is different from your baseball knowledge.

WMB