The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, new to softball, need help...

Hey I played baseball for 8 years, always a good pull hitter. I am now playing in a fast pitch softball league but the pitching is alot slower then i used to face. I am too far ahead of the ball and i am hitting about 10 fouls per plate appearance and i am getting walked most of the time because of this. My question is...Is there any heavey bats out there, like a 34-36 ounce bats for fast pitch softball? Thanks.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Yes & welcome to softball!

Since youre new to softball, I'll let you in on a secret.

They sell them at the store.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Nope i cant find 34-36 ounce bats anywhere and i live in Ny. I have been to Sports Authority, 2 Modells, Legends...cant find em.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

I dont know about 36, but I know there are 34.

Maybe you should work on your timing rather than look for a heavy bat.

I also suspect you are playing low level ball. Top B or A pitchers can smoke that ball. If youre so awesome, maybe move up.

Or just take the walks off of foul balls, as good as a base hit... at least until your timing gets better.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

or move up in the box, unlike baseball, you have over a yard in front of the plate. Softball IS NOT baseball, you will need to adjust and learn the game.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Ok thanks for the advice man
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I have an old 34 oz., Easton Black Magic, but it's basically only usable for SP or bunting.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

You are going to find it difficult to located a fastpitch bat heavier tha 26 oz. Manufacturers make fastpitch bats with lighter weights to help younger female batters increase bat speed. For years it was unthinkable that any female player should swing a bat more than 23 oz, even at the upper levels (18 and older). What we are seeing now is the use of the heavier bats 26 oz in the college game.

Speaking ASA there is no requirement to use a fastpitch bat in a fastpitch game. The only requirement is that it must be a softball bat that is not on the banned list. So, you can find numerous softball bats that have the weight range that you want.

Try www.softballsales.com or other web outlets as they have the best prices and complete selelction.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
You are going to find it difficult to located a fastpitch bat heavier tha 26 oz. Manufacturers make fastpitch bats with lighter weights to help younger female batters increase bat speed. For years it was unthinkable that any female player should swing a bat more than 23 oz, even at the upper levels (18 and older). What we are seeing now is the use of the heavier bats 26 oz in the college game.

Speaking ASA there is no requirement to use a fastpitch bat in a fastpitch game. The only requirement is that it must be a softball bat that is not on the banned list. So, you can find numerous softball bats that have the weight range that you want.

Try www.softballsales.com or other web outlets as they have the best prices and complete selelction.
"Fastpitch or Slowpitch?

There is no technical difference between Fast Pitch and Slow Pitch softball bats. They are all softball bats legal in either game you play. Fast pitch bats are marketed more for young girls and some have bottle barrels for inside pitches. Ninety nine percent of slow pitch bats are 34" and between 26 and 30 ounces. Fast pitch bats are made shorter and lighter. As long as the bat is certified for your league and does not exceed 1.20 BPF, you can use it for slow or fast pitch, men or women. Most college women and almost all adult male fastpitch players use slow pitch bats."

Source: The Batter's Box www.aluminumbats.com

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.