The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/57853-asa-softball.html)

blindofficial Mon Apr 12, 2010 02:45am

ASA Softball

First year umpire with ASA. I have previous experience doing baseball, so I decided to give softball a try.

I feel so overwhelmed with all of the rules that softball has. Anyone have some good advice, learning modules, or any websites that I can go to to help me learn the rules, mechanics, positioning etc.?

Thank You!

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 12, 2010 06:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindofficial (Post 673412)
First year umpire with ASA. I have previous experience doing baseball, so I decided to give softball a try.

I feel so overwhelmed with all of the rules that softball has. Anyone have some good advice, learning modules, or any websites that I can go to to help me learn the rules, mechanics, positioning etc.?

Thank You!

Go to www.asasoftball.com and visit umpires page. Download the pdf formatted ASA Test.

Take the test with your rule book
Attend every clinic you can find
Attend a school, if available
Read the Rules Supplements in the book
Read the Umpire Manual in the book
Observe experienced umpires

Remember not to take everything literally. Apply the rules when applicable; don't try to out think the book; don't try to justify what you do or do not find in the rules or on the field. Remember 10.3.C is your authorization to rule on situations NOT covered by rule, not to misapply a rule with which you may not agree.

If you find something that seems askew, check with your local rules interpreter/uic/whatever to check out the proper interpretation. When you see another umpire perform a mechanic that is unfamiliar, check it out in the manual and then question your local uic. Understand that being a veteran official does not make everything done on the field the right thing and longevity just means someone has been doing this for a long time. Consistency really only counts when you are consistently right ;)

Did I happen to mention you should attend every clinic you can find?

One last thing, softball is not baseball for girls or beer-bellied men. It is a sport of its own which happens to share a source of origin with baseball.

shagpal Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:58pm

find the best association in your area. if you've already joined association, join the best one you can find also. nothing wrong w/ joining more than one assoc. your local players and coaches will be more than willing to tell you where the best umpires work, and where are the best fields, and also the worst. the best assocs will usually do softball, both slowpitch & fastpitch, and/or baseball too sometimes. usually the best association will be heavily stacked with college level fastpitch umps.

stay away from "officiating" associations that do other sports, like volleyball, football, soccer, basketball, wrestling, you name it, and they do it. those are usually officiating sweatshops, and are good for getting assignments to get paid.

you can read as much as you like, take all the exams you can, attend all the clinics you can cram, but that still won't replace good partners and experienced solid mates that want to teach you, and I stress "want". stay away from the "you are on your own" shops.

but, if you want to do a national, you will still need to attend at least one national ASA clinic to qualify.

CecilOne Mon Apr 12, 2010 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 673454)
but, if you want to do a national, you will still need to attend at least one national ASA clinic to qualify.

I think leaps are illegal. :p

shagpal Mon Apr 12, 2010 02:39pm

not in utrip slowpitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 673460)
I think leaps are illegal. :p

Stu Clary Mon Apr 12, 2010 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 673413)

Unless they're the majority of the guys doing slow pitch in my area.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 12, 2010 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Clary (Post 673491)
Unless they're the majority of the guys doing slow pitch in my area.

Some college coaches tell their players to play SP as opposed to nothing because they get the fielding and throwing reps.

Many of the mechanics in FP & SP are relatively the same, just some starting points are different.

Stu Clary Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:33pm

One of the main reasons I agree to work adult slow pitch is the great practice I get as base umpire. One of the reasons I don't really like it is all the double fist bumping, lazy, "gotta be" yelling, fellows that think they're doing a good job of umpiring. There's a lot of misinformation out there.

CecilOne Tue Apr 13, 2010 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 673413)
Go to www.asasoftball.com and visit umpires page. Download the pdf formatted ASA Test.

Take the test with your rule book
Attend a school, if available
Read the Rules Supplements in the book
Read the Umpire Manual in the book

Remember not to take everything literally. Apply the rules when applicable; don't try to out think the book; don't try to justify what you do or do not find in the rules or on the field. Remember 10.3.C is your authorization to rule on situations NOT covered by rule, not to misapply a rule with which you may not agree.

If you find something that seems askew, check with your local rules interpreter/uic/whatever to check out the proper interpretation. When you see another umpire perform a mechanic that is unfamiliar, check it out in the manual and then question your local uic. Understand that being a veteran official does not make everything done on the field the right thing and longevity just means someone has been doing this for a long time. Consistency really only counts when you are consistently right ;)

Did I happen to mention you should attend every clinic you can find?

One last thing, softball is not baseball for girls or beer-bellied men. It is a sport of its own which happens to share a source of origin with baseball.

Hopefully, the only relevant reply to the OP helped. But I would add, go to lots of clinics ;); listen to advice after finding out who really knows the best umpiring including this forum.

WestMichiganBlue Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindofficial (Post 673412)

Go to NFHS Softball page, under Softball Resources select Softball and Baseball Rules Differences. NFHS | Softball

This will help you learn what you need to know that is different from your baseball knowledge.

WMB