The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

rule sets and field dimensions

I am a regular reader on the Basketball forum, but this is my first post here. Sorry for the newbie question.

I find myself responsible for a church owned softball field. It currently has bases that are 60 feet apart, as per NFHS 1.1.2 for a 12 inch ball. Some coaches in our league want to move them to 65 feet, as per USSSA rules. I don't have an ASA rule book.

What field configuration and rule set is best for a low key rec league? The field is used mostly for men's slow pitch, with some youth games (also slow pitch) thrown in.

I am leaning toward the NFHS rules, since the field is small. The plate is only about 20 feet from the backstop (instead of the required 25), and the infield extends only 52 feet from the pitching rubber (instead of 60 or 65).

Do you guys have any recommendations for a newbie?

Thanks!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

it's not that hard to have both. home plate will be where it is and i guess the infield dirt will have to be extended to accommodate the longer bases. many rec fields have the ability to move the bases certain distances to accommodate different dimensions for different leagues...
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

As you are talking slowpitch, 65' would be correct for everything 14U up; the 60' rule is for fastpitch in NFHS.

I don't think the infield cut or backstop depth is as much as factor to game equity as the base distance or pitching distance (50').
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys, that helps a lot!

I'll probably go to 65, depending on the work involved with the infield cut.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

There are several ways of setting up for movable bases. If you are using the same field for multiple divisions of softball, you need the ability to set up the field properly for each division (base distances, pitching distance).
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
As you are talking slowpitch, 65' would be correct for everything 14U up; the 60' rule is for fastpitch in NFHS.

I don't think the infield cut or backstop depth is as much as factor to game equity as the base distance or pitching distance (50').
Correct. 12-Under slow pitch (both boys and girls) does use the 60' base paths with a 46' foot pitcher's plate.

As Dakota said, there are many ways to set up different base lengths to keep in line with the different ruling bodies. The cost, in my opinion, is not that much extra, and the amount of effort required to set extra "plugs" for bases is really not all that bad once you have everything else done.

Heck, if I lived in the area, I'd be happy to lend a hand. I've been considering doing some volunteer softball work anyway, either as an umpire or as some other form of guidance. You aren't in NC, are you?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.