The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to mrcaroll
I was doing a major girls ( 12-14)softball game last night. Runners on 1st and 2nd 1 out. Fly ball to second baseman. I called infield fly when the ball reached its pinnacle. Runner continued to first and told the runner on first to go. The second baseman never caught the ball and the runner from second went to third. I made the mistake of calling a dead ball when i seen the girl who hit the ball round first going to second. I then called her out and sent the runners back to there original bases. The coached questioned my call about the infield fly rule. He said the girl was not able to catch the ball. I said it is not my position to determine the skill level of a player, just the position of the ball in the infield and if it was a catchable. He then said his runners should be allowed to advance on this rule. I agreed but said i had called the play dead, so they must return. I know i made the mistake on the dead ball. What should i have done with the girl who continued to run? and where should the runners on first and second be placed.
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

[i]Originally posted by mrcaroll

I said it is not my position to determine the skill level of a player, just the position of the ball in the infield and if it was a catchable.

Not quite right. The optimal term is ordinary effort and ordinary effort does vary depending upon the skill level of the player.

For example to exaggerate a bit to get my point across. In the PRO's as soon as ball is popped up the umpire will signal IF, becasue players like Derek Jeter get just about everything in sight.

However, you said girls ages 12-14, so in those divisions, the girl better be right under the ball before I call IF.

He then said his runners should be allowed to advance on this rule. I agreed but said i had called the play dead, so they must return. I know i made the mistake on the dead ball. What should i have done with the girl who continued to run? and where should the runners on first and second be placed.

When you signal and call IF, and B1 keeps running say in a loud and demonstrative voice BATTER IS OUT! BATTER IS OUT!
As far as you calling Dead Ball - that one you have to live with. Once you call Dead ball - all action stops and runners return.

It's almost impossible to fix, because with the ball in the infield somewhere, chances are that the girl(s) would be a dead duck anyhow if they did choose to run.

Remember on an IF, the only thing for certain is that the batter is out, everything else is the same as a normal fly ball situation.

Hope this helps

Pete Booth
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Gosh,

and I THOUGHT there was a softball board further down the page.