The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal pitch with no runner advancing

I think we made the "fair" call in the following but maybe not the "correct" call. Can anyone think of a way to justify what we did?

NFHS, tournament play. R1 on first and IP pitch. Batter flies to right and R1 is doubled off. We call time as couch yells, "We'll don't want the play; we'll take the illegal pitch." (He was kind of joking as if saying, "Um, well of course.")

Batter returns to plate with a ball awarded and R1 is happy to not be out and returns to first. I call "play", the pitcher pitches and the batter gets a base hit advancing R1 to second.

At this point, I realize R1 should have advanced to 2nd on the IP. I call time to discuss with my partner. My opinion was that the offensive coach should have caught our mistake before the pitch and that it is now too late to correct. My partner suggested the fair thing to do was to go ahead and advance R1 to 3rd base, the base we felt she would be at if we had properly administered the IP penalty. I am trying to a kinder and gentler this year, so agreed to go with my partner's suggestion. When i delivered the news to the defense coach, I also let him know that we'd be happy to get the tourament direct if he felt we needed to get a "higher" ruling. He decided to just live with it.

So, that's the scenario, where I know we messed up the initial IP award and I think we messed up by correcting it outside of our authority. What say y'all?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
...I think we messed up...
That's right... you cannot correct an error in a base award after a pitch has been thrown. NFHS 8-4-3 EXCEPTIONS 4.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
I think we made the "fair" call in the following but maybe not the "correct" call. Can anyone think of a way to justify what we did?

NFHS, tournament play. R1 on first and IP pitch. Batter flies to right and R1 is doubled off. We call time as couch yells, "We'll don't want the play; we'll take the illegal pitch." (He was kind of joking as if saying, "Um, well of course.")

Batter returns to plate with a ball awarded and R1 is happy to not be out and returns to first. I call "play", the pitcher pitches and the batter gets a base hit advancing R1 to second.

At this point, I realize R1 should have advanced to 2nd on the IP. I call time to discuss with my partner. My opinion was that the offensive coach should have caught our mistake before the pitch and that it is now too late to correct. My partner suggested the fair thing to do was to go ahead and advance R1 to 3rd base, the base we felt she would be at if we had properly administered the IP penalty. I am trying to a kinder and gentler this year, so agreed to go with my partner's suggestion. When i delivered the news to the defense coach, I also let him know that we'd be happy to get the tourament direct if he felt we needed to get a "higher" ruling. He decided to just live with it.

So, that's the scenario, where I know we messed up the initial IP award and I think we messed up by correcting it outside of our authority. What say y'all?

I would say you are right....you made the "correction" outside of your authority.