The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is taping over the knob legal or illegal?
Legal 21 91.30%
Illegal 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
the rules are the rules. some umpires don't even check bats.

what part of the rule are you suggesting is being changed by "me", as in, if "I" want to change the rules? I mentioned questioning rules is healthy, enforcing rules is required.

have you had your coffee today?
Oh, I don't know... Perhaps this portion:
Quote:
what I missed, was why you said, "I rarely ask myself any such question about any aspect of the game". maybe I'm wrong, but that seems robotic to take rules at face value. I think asking and questioning is healthy for the game. it's a dynamic game that keeps changing.
Seems to imply that you're willing to take a few more liberties than you should. Maybe I'm wrong, but you're new here, so expect a lack of trust from us until we get to know you.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

that seems to be your problem, not mine. this is a forum, not a ball field.
on a ball field, the one to distrust is the partner that would throw another fellow umpire under the bus. that's who I distrust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Oh, I don't know... Perhaps this portion:

Seems to imply that you're willing to take a few more liberties than you should. Maybe I'm wrong, but you're new here, so expect a lack of trust from us until we get to know you.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that seems to be your problem, not mine. this is a forum, not a ball field.
on a ball field, the one to distrust is the partner that would throw another fellow umpire under the bus. that's who I distrust.
This is the internet, not the field. Anyone can come here and say whatever so new posters have to build credibility. If they really know about umpiring it will eventually show.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

correct, this is a forum, and used for discussion. I asked how one thinks taping knobs might affect the game. same line of questioning as the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
This is the internet, not the field. Anyone can come here and say whatever so new posters have to build credibility. If they really know about umpiring it will eventually show.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
correct, this is a forum, and used for discussion. I asked how one thinks taping knobs might affect the game. same line of questioning as the poll.
And from the very first post, I answered that question. But since you missed it, I will repeat.

Bat doctors will gain entry to the insides of a bat via two routes: the end cap or the safety knob. In doing so, they end up causing visible damage to the safety knob, and they cover up the evidence by using safety tape.

For that specific reason, there are those who believe that taping over the safety knob should not be allowed.

Clear enough?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

no, I saw it, and if you read my replies, I agreed. other than doctoring, or a loose knob, there's really no legit reason (other than legality) to worry about tape on the knob that I can think of. that's why I followed with a rhetorical question.

there are many replies to me, all at the same time from all angles, and for reasons having nothing really to do with answering what I posted, so I got distracted and didn't acknowledge your post directly. I was busy dealing with the gang mentality.

but I agreed w/ everything you wrote. unless I can add to the agreeing, I usually don't just post to agree. so I made a comment in another direction and at another angle to move the discussion forward, that is all. I am making no attempt to ignore your initial post or be snide towards it. if you feel that, please reread. I assure you, there is no intention there remarking against your OP on my part whatsoever, and any impression of such unintentional.

have you had coffee yet?

Quote:
And from the very first post, I answered that question. But since you missed it, I will repeat.

Bat doctors will gain entry to the insides of a bat via two routes: the end cap or the safety knob. In doing so, they end up causing visible damage to the safety knob, and they cover up the evidence by using safety tape.

For that specific reason, there are those who believe that taping over the safety knob should not be allowed.

Clear enough?

Last edited by shagpal; Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 07:17pm.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And that specific reason was rejected by ASA, so what is so hard for your guys to accept?
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And that specific reason was rejected by ASA, so what is so hard for your guys to accept?
Uhhh... I do accept it, Mike.

At no point in time have I ever said that covering the safety knob is illegal. All I have said was that the concern was valid, but that's where it ends. Period.

Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Uhhh... I do accept it, Mike.

At no point in time have I ever said that covering the safety knob is illegal. All I have said was that the concern was valid, but that's where it ends. Period.
I didn't say you, I said "your guys"
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't say you, I said "your guys"
No comments about my vision, please...

I really don't know what their deal is. They're looking for something that just isn't there.

Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No comments about my vision, please...

I really don't know what their deal is. They're looking for something that just isn't there.
Or it is there and someone covered it up with tape
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or it is there and someone covered it up with tape
Crap, I've got enough to worry about with bat doctors. Now I've gotta worry about rule book doctors?

Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Dave, check PM
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dave, check PM
No, Mike, I don't want to buy any Girl Scout Cookies...

Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, Mike, I don't want to buy any Girl Scout Cookies...
Damn, what am I going to do with all these Trefoils?