The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I video tape the members of pools that I belong to.. While many are informative, some are classics, and others are pretty scary!!!
I know that I have opened myself up on this one, but for Mark Padgett's benefit and any possible "Warnings" he could possibly come up with, I'll be specific and state that all videos have been done while these members have been working high school basketball games in an official and professional manner...And no officials were harmed or injured during these filmings... Only the names, of the players, coaches, and fans, were changed to protect the innocent
Has anyone else done this and what sort of floor situations do you try to focus on and capture on the tape... TIA

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

The only videos I've been a part of have been at camp. I think there are a few directions you could go with a video (highlight reel, educational components, bloopers, etc.). No matter which way you decide to go, I think it would be in your best interest to get permission from each of the officials you use in the final product. Some officials may react negatively to showing up in a blooper reel.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
I video tape the members of the pool that I belong to.. While many are informative, some are classics, and others are pretty scary!!!
Just a follow-up.. For the first time, someone asked if they could video tape me.... What an eye opener... I was simply amazed at how I looked on the court... There was the good, the bad, AND the very UGLY...
I have long heard that they do this for you at camps and thought what a great idea! That's why I started doing it for the members of my pool...
If any of you have ever wondered... Or even if you haven't wondered... I would suggest that you try it!
Have someone video tape you while you're working a game. Even if you know that you're being taped, the tape won't lie...

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Having yourself taped in an actual game is the best thing you can do to improve quickly. If you subscribe to the paid side of this website, there are a couple of good articles from last summer that I wrote about taping and looking at tape. It's amazing how helpful it is to SEE yourself. It's also very instructive to go through the tape with a mentor or helpful veteran that wants to see you get better. I strongly recommend this practice to everyone.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Taping is a DEFINITE eye-opener!!!! And ABSOLUTELY one of the very best improvement tools you can use!!!!

I try to get someone to tape me at the start of each season so I can correct things early in the year and then make notes, goals, etc. after watching these tapes. Helps for later reference. Then tape a few games later in the year and hopefully see some improvement. The first tape is the most difficult because I know what it will show and it's usually not what I want to see but it is a very effective pill to take for improvement.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I've been thinking for a while that there is a business opportunity here. I don't own a camera and have had a lot of trouble trying to get videoed. If some intrepid entrepreneur wanted to make a few bucks, I could see a business where you tape officials during games, maybe even give an audio commentary (if you're qualified and the person wants it), burn the result to DVD and charge them a game fee for it.