The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious

I was just reading the Gerry Davis 2009 Spring Catalog about the McDavid Hex Pad Shirt. It says "...provides minimal padding for fast-pitch umpires who often don't wear a chest protector at all"

I have not played or watched much softball but that seems to be a strange way to die? Is that true? If so, why wouldn't you need protection?

Thanks
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

I know a couple of guys that dont wear chest protectors and claim they have never been hurt, but not something I am ever going to do. I have taken 2 directly on the collar bone that certainly would have broken it if not for the chest protector.

When my daughter played JR high ball, they had an old guy show up to ump that didnt wear any gear at all, including a face mask. When the coach questioned him his response was, "non of these girls can throw hard enough to hurt you."
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

This board has had numerous threads in the past piling on the handful of umpires that still choose not to wear a chest protector.

Personally, I look at it as a matter of personal choice, just like the college player not using a faceguard on the batting helmet, the pitcher not wearing a gameface, and those riding in cars without wearing a seat belt. Certainly there is a probable set of odds that each might be injured by their choice, but it is their choice to make.

As a UIC/assignor/evaluator, I am only concerned with the performance of that umpire. If he stands in, stays still when necessary, and has a solid zone without being ball shy, then it isn't my issue. If he jumps while the ball may still be a strike, then I will address his equipment as necessary. (Yes, while the ball may be a strike; I see no reason to be a backstop for the rec catcher on bounding balls.)
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Oh OK. Thanks. Learn something new everyday.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Of all the hundreds of umpires I've run across in my area, I can recall only one that doesn't wear a chest protector. He "compensates" by working on one knee and getting totally behind the catcher, instead of the slot. As a result of his positioning, his strike zone is really erratic, probably because he literally can't see half of it.

I've seen a couple of men's FP catchers that don't wear a chest protector. And I saw one take a foul straight to the collar bone, snapping it in two.

Last year I worked a few games with an newer umpire that had a flexible ribbed-type protector. The protection was minimal, but might have been adequate- if he had worn it properly! He had it very loose around the neck and it sagged down to where his collar bones were completely exposed. I mentioned it to him and told him he should probably cinch it up and for a better fit. He played me off with some sort of, "Girls can't throw that hard", kind of excuse.

Next game we work together, he's behind the plate. A foul went back and caught him right on the tip of the collar bone, where it connects into the shoulder. It didn't break the bone, but it disclocated it from the shoulder joint! The guy had his arm in a sling for almost a month and wasn't able to work his "real job" for about six weeks.

The vast majority of fastpitch umpires do wear a chest protector- no matter what Gerry Davis might think!
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a UIC/assignor/evaluator, I am only concerned with the performance of that umpire. If he stands in, stays still when necessary, and has a solid zone without being ball shy, then it isn't my issue.
I understand what you are saying, but how fair is it to your umpires when your plate guy goes down with a rib or collarbone injury and you have to fill in for him the rest of the day with one less umpire or down to 2 umpires trying to cover NCAA D-1 simply because he/she chooses not to wear protection?
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
The vast majority of fastpitch umpires do wear a chest protector- no matter what Gerry Davis might think!
Well, Gerry Davis is a good MLB umpire and I listen to what he says about umpiring baseball, but when it comes to softball...

A chest protector is required for Fed umpires in Oregon, not that anyone had to tell me to wear mine.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I know a couple of guys that dont wear chest protectors and claim they have never been hurt, but not something I am ever going to do. I have taken 2 directly on the collar bone that certainly would have broken it if not for the chest protector.

When my daughter played JR high ball, they had an old guy show up to ump that didnt wear any gear at all, including a face mask. When the coach questioned him his response was, "non of these girls can throw hard enough to hurt you."
How long ago was this?? One thing I keep saying about the difference in working high school ball for the almost 20 years I have been working it, is that, due to the growing prominence of travel ball, kids come into school ball knowing how to pitch! And pitching hard too! One criticism I have had with our local new officials clinic, is that the clinicians, who are very good NCAA level officials, still tend to denigrate the playing/pitching ability of the 7th/8th grade girls a touch.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

This was about 7 years ago. I think he got a bit of surprise because the pitcher for my daughters team was a club ball player and throwing mid 50's. Never saw the guy again the rest of the season.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
How long ago was this?? One thing I keep saying about the difference in working high school ball for the almost 20 years I have been working it, is that, due to the growing prominence of travel ball, kids come into school ball knowing how to pitch! And pitching hard too! One criticism I have had with our local new officials clinic, is that the clinicians, who are very good NCAA level officials, still tend to denigrate the playing/pitching ability of the 7th/8th grade girls a touch.
I don't know about how hard they throw, but it's hard enough. What I have seen is that often when the pitchers are not yet very good, neither are the catchers. We're far more likely to get hit in a lower level game than a higher level game. I wear all the gear in jr hi games and in every other game. Those that don't are taking a chance that I'm not willing to take.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Like others, know a couple who dont. Knew another that got zapped and now wears the K2. It's not their potential or injury that is my concern, its how their hiding affects the zone.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Dang, I even wear mine doing 10U and 8U ball. Even though they're not throwing that hard, a foul ball can almost double the velocity and if hit in the right place, it can hurt.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I don't know about how hard they throw, but it's hard enough. What I have seen is that often when the pitchers are not yet very good, neither are the catchers. We're far more likely to get hit in a lower level game than a higher level game. I wear all the gear in jr hi games and in every other game. Those that don't are taking a chance that I'm not willing to take.
Actually the problem you will encounter is that the while the pitcher may be good, sometimes the catcher WON'T be. We get that in a youth league we work that uses ASA rules instead of being LL -the pitchers are WAY ahead of the catchers...and boy, does that hurt!
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

The lower the level the bigger the protector.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
The lower the level the bigger the protector.
Bring out the balloon.