The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious...

Anyone calling this a FPSR violation in FED?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMYej...eature=related
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

I've got interference and BR out in all codes. Even in pro you can't grab at the fielder. That to me is a willful and deliberate attempt to interfere.

D
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:27pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I'm pretty sure this would be interference in FED...however it's funny you ask that's on my list to read in the rule book because there were no references to FPSR on the FED test this year. Great post...great for discussion
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:35pm
In Time Out

I have no idea if working a deep C in the norm in CCA mechanics, but they sure seem to miss a lot or get in way in that position.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have no doubt the runner tried to interfere with the fielder, but was it strong enough to call INT here? He barely got him on the ace.

*Side note*: Most of us will agree that the sliding through the bag is a moot point (even though the announcers emphasized it) since he didn't make contact with the fielder.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
I have no doubt the runner tried to interfere with the fielder, but was it strong enough to call INT here? He barely got him on the ace.

*Side note*: Most of us will agree that the sliding through the bag is a moot point (even though the announcers emphasized it) since he didn't make contact with the fielder.
Typical announcers...they paid attention to half of what Yeast told them.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:16am
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72

For 2008 it's a moot point even if he does make contact with the fielder.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

8-4-2 a&b

Yes it is. Runner can't attempt to alter play of the fielder. Ya get 2 outs.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

I've got R1 out as in the video. There was a touch by R1 to F6 but it did not affect the throw as it was quality enough to be a whacker at 1st. Personally I thought B1 was also out for the DP but the video doesn't put me in U1's perspective.

In FED, however, I have interference just for R1's touch of F6 and I'll get both R1 & B1 out for the action. Remember, the video is "big boy" ball (NCAA) but in kiddie ball (FED), it doesn't matter whether the throw was a quality one or not.

"Sorry, coach! Your man intentionally reached out and made contact with F6. I got 2 out here!"
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
8-4-2 a&b

Yes it is. Runner can't attempt to alter play of the fielder. Ya get 2 outs.
If you're talking about FED rules, 8-4-2(a) concerns a runner moving more than 3 feet out of his base path. It doesn't apply.

Show me a rule in any code that says "attempting" to interfere is sufficient to call interference on a runner. 8-4-2(b) does not say that, nor does 2-21-1, which defines interference.

I think it was not called because no umpire saw it, and I think no umpire saw it partly because the contact had so little effect. If so, then you'd be hard pressed to say that the contact was illegal or interference.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:19am
Stop staring at me swan.

Not in FED...on a force play he has to slide directly to the base...

Page 2-32-2(f)

A slide is illegal if...the runner, on a force play, does not slide on the ground and in a direct line between the two bases.

Has FED now said that you can slide through the base as long as you don't make contact or interfere with the play??
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08

Not in FED...on a force play he has to slide directly to the base...

Page 2-32-2(f)

A slide is illegal if...the runner, on a force play, does not slide on the ground and in a direct line between the two bases.

Has FED now said that you can slide through the base as long as you don't make contact or interfere with the play??
1) The play was in an NCAA game, so the NCAA rule was cited (and it was in effect in 2007 as well).

2) It's always been the rule in FED that a slide past the bag was "nothing" unless contact (or altering) is also made and the contact occurs past the bag
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I've got R1 out as in the video. There was a touch by R1 to F6 but it did not affect the throw as it was quality enough to be a whacker at 1st. Personally I thought B1 was also out for the DP but the video doesn't put me in U1's perspective.

In FED, however, I have interference just for R1's touch of F6 and I'll get both R1 & B1 out for the action. Remember, the video is "big boy" ball (NCAA) but in kiddie ball (FED), it doesn't matter whether the throw was a quality one or not.

"Sorry, coach! Your man intentionally reached out and made contact with F6. I got 2 out here!"
I think it's a FPSR violation in NCAA (even without the contact), but maybe not in FED? Huh???

NCAA FPSR: The slide must be "directly into a base" unless it is away from the fielder. "Directly into a base" requires the runners feet legs, trunk AND ARMS to stay in a straight line between the bases. The runner slid illegally (with or without the contact).

8.4.c. Actions by a runner are illegal and interference shall be called if:
(5) The runner slides illegally toward or contacts the fielder...

FED says the slide is illegal if (among other things not applicable here) the runner does not slide on the ground and in a direct line between the two bases. Our interpreter said that means both legs must be toward the base, but nothing about arms.

If the slide is legal, contact and altering the play are also legal, unless the contact is malicious.

A runner is also out if he intentionally interferes (not attempts to interfere) with a throw, and here's where you might be able to get him, but I don't think the runner's actions had any affect on the throw.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 10:44am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
1) The play was in an NCAA game, so the NCAA rule was cited (and it was in effect in 2007 as well).

2) It's always been the rule in FED that a slide past the bag was "nothing" unless contact (or altering) is also made and the contact occurs past the bag
I know the clip was college, but the OP stated for a FED opinion.

As for FED...when was there a "must slide to the base" rule? Or was that never in there?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 10:47am
Stop staring at me swan.

The play in question is a tough one because the infielder does a great job of clearing himself from the base...he not affected by the slide at all...