The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
The older I get, the less I like pain. I wear every bit of protection I can. With some games I've worked, I wish I could have had a full suit of armor.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
The older I get, the less I like pain.
Maybe that's me, too. I went the first 10 years or so without a protector. About 80% of our organization near Tampa did not wear them.

At the beginning I don't think I was flinching. When I noticed I was doing it often, I first started wear my BB one. Now I have the K2 and I done even know it there.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Wow. 80%? I guess that just goes to show you how much things can vary from one region to the next. I'd put the number in my area at less than 1%. Just going by what others have posted in similar threads, it seems like things are closer to the 1% than 80% in most places.

This past summer, I did have the opportunity to work with an ASA umpire who used a combination I'd never seen before. This was an older gentleman- someone told be he was in his mid-70's, but he seemed younger than that and was a very good umpire. He's the only umpire I've ever seen that wore a hockey-style helmet and an outside balloon chest protector!

Now that's an "old school/new school" combination for you!
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I wear all the gear, all the time.

A buddy of mine who is a very good umpire, works the slot and doesn't flinch, but still refuses to wear a chest protector.

We were working the Men's B FP last summer and he took a foul ball right in the gut and two more in the sternum area, two of those in the same inning!

At that level, the catchers are pretty good and will generally work really hard to protect you, but there is nothing they can do about those foul balls that are hit straight back.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I have a K2 that I only wear when I do 10U (which isn't very often) because for me it doesn't give enough coverage in the ribs and stomach when I do 12U and up. I use the Pronine protector with the older kids. The only drawback to the Pronine is that it can get pretty hot under it in the Socal heat. This hexpad shirt might be a good thing to wear under a K2. I may just get one and see how it works with the K2 for working the older kids.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I wear the hexpad tights - they provide protection to the thighs and do that very well. However, they do not breathe well at all - so I don't think I'd want the shirt.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Chest Protector

Umpiring is a hobby for me and I wear all the protective equipment all the time. I have already been hit many times (all over) and I try to keep in mind that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

Not exact always...

... I wear full protedction: The only times I don't wear legguards, nor chest protection are at the IndoorCup in january. On the fields outside I'm in full gear. Period!

As TXTROOPER says, it doesn't however protect you getting hit! So I've learned in the past.
The best comment after a hit was this year at the 2nd final game (a best off 5-series) in the highest dutch male-competition: I took a foul ball on my right arm. From the first base came the question:" Hey Blue, I do hope your Strike-arm is still working?"

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I wear all the gear, all the time.

A buddy of mine who is a very good umpire, works the slot and doesn't flinch, but still refuses to wear a chest protector.

We were working the Men's B FP last summer and he took a foul ball right in the gut and two more in the sternum area, two of those in the same inning!

At that level, the catchers are pretty good and will generally work really hard to protect you, but there is nothing they can do about those foul balls that are hit straight back.
So, has he changed his philosophy about wearing equipment?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
So, has he changed his philosophy about wearing equipment?
Nope...he is quite stubborn about it!
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Nope...he is quite stubborn about it!
Maybe he is masochistic. Y'all just don't know it, but he is actually getting his jollies back there when he gets hit!

Oh well, you know what Forrest Gump says, "Stupid is as stupid does."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I think I've seen about everything behind the plate. Guy wearing no mask or chest protector for 14-year-olds. Guy who called balls and strikes from the backstop, with mask, gym shorts, and penny loafers but no hat or CP. Guy who announced how many inches off the plate each called "ball" was.

In my experience the most dangerous level is 12u rec, where the pitchers can be fast and the catchers made of air. Hamilton, New Jersey's 12-year-olds won the Babe Ruth Nationals last year (2008), and they had two big, strong pitchers who could throw very hard. Naturally, the team's catcher was good, but those pitchers also played in the 12u rec league, and I took several beatings behind catchers I thought might be ghosts—the balls seemed to travel directly through their bodies and into me. Actually, it was good practice in remaining still no matter what.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I work hard on, and take pride in, remaining still no matter what- up to a point. That point being when the game participants demonstrate to me that their lack of skills might be putting my personal safety in jeopardy.

I'll hang in there and take my licks, but if I start to become "Bret, The Human Backstop" on every other pitch, I'm moving!

Considering that this is usually an issue in younger age groups, and that for younger ages the pitchers aren't going to throw that fast or have that much movement, you can still call a pretty good zone from behind the catcher (they're smaller and easy to see over), from further back or even while ducking out of the way of a pitch heading right for your noggin.

If the coach doesn't like it, he can find another catcher.