Kill the pitch? 20 55.56%
Give the player a "heads up"? 4 11.11%
Let the play continue hoping the batter hits the ball elsewhere? 10 27.78%
Laugh and hope the batter hits the ball by this player? 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't kill the play. At what point do you decide NOT to kill the play? Do you do it for infielders only? Outfielders? Runners? Coaches? Okay, screw the coaches...

If the fielder is walking back to their position and the pitcher is starting their delivery, I see nothing wrong with telling the fielder, "heads up," and pointing towards the plate. I do it all the time in SP, and the fielders thank me for it.

Is it coaching? Maybe. If the OC has a problem with it, they can get a life, because I left my CPR mask in the car.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

My convictions, and I truly believe all rule books would support killing this play. (Even if you find one that does not, in this matter, I do not care.)
It is a matter of safety. I have seen what damage a batted ball can do to a player that is ready let alone one who has no idea what may be coming.
I would take it one step further and be willing to tell you if a coach came out to give me grief or complain over it, I would not "play" with him any longer. I would do the same for his players.
This is a game for Pete's sake and absolutely no argument given to me can make it potentially a situation of life and death if I have any input into it.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I totally disagree with the idea of killing the play because the infielder is not paying attention. That is clearly not our job. What about slow players, or players playing a position for which they do not have the required skills? Are we next going to evaluate players for a minimum performance standard for positions? How many times has an umpire been chastised on this forum for making up a rule? This is one of those times, there is nothing in any of the rules I have read in any sport that grants or requires the official to kill live play because of inattention of one of the players.

The poll should have had one more choice – Game on.

Bugg
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

The question posed says nothing about being slow, out of position, or unskilled. It is very specific. The infielder has their back to the plate and the pitch is beginning. The infielder has no chance at self-protection, regardless of skill level, on a line shot directly at him.