The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Back in TX, formerly Seattle area
Posts: 1,279
Arriving early at a game

So I always arrive early, maybe sometimes too early, but if it's an hour before game time and I am not there something is wrong.

So, today, fall ball junior high game...and I am not only an hour early, I am 169 hours early.

New personal record, thank you very much.
__________________
John
An ucking fidiot
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
John, we've gotta talk about your medication, bro.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 440
Did you find a Starbucks and hang out or did you go home?
__________________
Bill Hohn is the MAN!!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 07:16am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Did you find a Starbucks and hang out or did you go home?
Now, that is a stupid question? You don't need to "find" a Starbucks in that part of the country, Starbucks finds you!

As notorious as the Seattle area is for their coffee, I don't think they compare to Missoula, Montana. When I was there, not only was there a coffee shop or two on every block, but more vendors selling coffee out of a cart than soft pretzel vendors in Philly.

That is a lot of caffeine! Then again, if you lived in Missoula,.............
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 07:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Now, that is a stupid question? You don't need to "find" a Starbucks in that part of the country, Starbucks finds you!

As notorious as the Seattle area is for their coffee, I don't think they compare to Missoula, Montana. When I was there, not only was there a coffee shop or two on every block, but more vendors selling coffee out of a cart than soft pretzel vendors in Philly.

That is a lot of caffeine! Then again, if you lived in Missoula,.............
Wisconsin has the same problem, except with bars.

Okay, it's not really a "problem," per se. We have the highest bar per capita rate in the nation.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Back in TX, formerly Seattle area
Posts: 1,279
Didn't go to Starbucks...we ended up trading games, so the umpire (Mr. Petkovitz) who was supposed to do the game will do the game I was supposed to do next game.

And...Starbucks coffee is horrible IMHO. Tully's and Seattle's Best are far better, and there are some indies that are better than they.

And...Missoula is a GOOD place. It is home to the Cracker Barrel nearest Seattle. Now before you go putting down Cracker Barrel, know there are also no Waffle House up here. And, look at a picture of a geoduck. Look it up. Not only do they eat those things, they can't even pronounce it.
__________________
John
An ucking fidiot
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
....And...Starbucks coffee is horrible IMHO. Tully's and Seattle's Best are far better, and there are some indies that are better than they....
Seattle's Best is a subsidiary of Starbucks
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
And...Starbucks coffee is horrible IMHO. Tully's and Seattle's Best are far better, and there are some indies that are better than they.
Have to agree with you there. I do Starbucks if they are the only option. Of course, when you just order a "large house blend" you get some seriously strange looks from some people

Quote:
And...Missoula is a GOOD place. It is home to the Cracker Barrel nearest Seattle. Now before you go putting down Cracker Barrel, know there are also no Waffle House up here. And, look at a picture of a geoduck. Look it up. Not only do they eat those things, they can't even pronounce it.
Yeah, Missoula is a cool little town. Reminds me of Mayberry, except they now have some buildling over two stories. Barely remember seeing Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen at a bar with a load of taps.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 04:04pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,985
If you want both Cracker Barrel and Waffle House in the same town, I highly recommend Texas. They even have Whataburgers and Chik-Fil-A out the ying yang. No Peet's Coffee or In-N-Out though.

I will now sit back and wait for Mike to have his fit of angina over the word "Texas".
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Sep 23, 2009 at 04:06pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Back in TX, formerly Seattle area
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Seattle's Best is a subsidiary of Starbucks
Yes, Starbuck's bought them a few years ago. However they still do things independently. For instance, SBC doesn't burn their beans when they roast them...
__________________
John
An ucking fidiot
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Back in TX, formerly Seattle area
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
If you want both Cracker Barrel and Waffle House in the same town, I highly recommend Texas. They even have Whataburgers and Chik-Fil-A out the ying yang. No Peet's Coffee or In-N-Out though.

I will now sit back and wait for Mike to have his fit of angina over the word "Texas".
Don't tempt me...if I had my druthers, I would be back in TX tomorrow. What's good is when you have a Waffle house and Whataburger kitty-corner from each other, across from the mall where the Chik-Fil-A is sitiated.
__________________
John
An ucking fidiot
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 503
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
And...Starbucks coffee is horrible IMHO. Tully's and Seattle's Best are far better, and there are some indies that are better than they.

And...Missoula is a GOOD place. It is home to the Cracker Barrel nearest Seattle. Now before you go putting down Cracker Barrel, know there are also no Waffle House up here. And, look at a picture of a geoduck. Look it up. Not only do they eat those things, they can't even pronounce it.
+1 to both paragraphs. There are more than enough Starbucks up here, but Portland is full of independent places that make good coffee.

(Did I mention we have a lot of good beer here too? )

And Missoula is a great little town. I had a lot of fun when I was there.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orange County NY
Posts: 698
Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
So I always arrive early, maybe sometimes too early, but if it's an hour before game time and I am not there something is wrong.

So, today, fall ball junior high game...and I am not only an hour early, I am 169 hours early.

New personal record, thank you very much.

psst - change your calendar to 2009

I'm actually the same....

If i am not there a half hour before game time I'm LATE! Sunday morning men's FP, game time is 845 for a DH, I am there by 8 - time to sip my coffee....get rid of my coffee ....and start getting my gear on, so that when my partner shows up at 830, i'm already half dressed, and then I can do the 2nd game on the bases, and jump in my vehicle and run home when we are done!
__________________
www.chvbgsoinc.org
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:32am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Don't tempt me...if I had my druthers, I would be back in TX tomorrow. What's good is when you have a Waffle house and Whataburger kitty-corner from each other, across from the mall where the Chik-Fil-A is sitiated.
Sounds about right. Don't forget the 3 or 4 wing places, too.

I've discovered another treat since being here, and that is the brewed goodness that is Shiner Bock. I'm a bit of a beer snob but I think Shiner is one of my new favorites.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 4,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Sounds about right. Don't forget the 3 or 4 wing places, too.

I've discovered another treat since being here, and that is the brewed goodness that is Shiner Bock. I'm a bit of a beer snob but I think Shiner is one of my new favorites.
Not begrudging you your beer or anything, but there are many, many better brews than Shiner Bock. Some made right here in Texas. Ever had anything from Rahr's out of Ft. Worth. The Ugly Pug is a good one. Also, St. Arnold's has a bunch of good beer. (Their Winter Stout probably being my favorite.)

If you are ever up around Dallas, try a Humperdinks or a Two Rows. Both brew their own beer, and do a mighty fine job of it.
__________________
Scott


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backcourt Violation EARLY in the Game? CMHCoachNRef Basketball 26 Sat Jan 10, 2009 01:23am
You can tell it's still early refnrev Basketball 1 Thu Nov 02, 2006 02:31am
A Bit Early brandan89 Basketball 0 Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:01pm
Get'em early! BktBallRef Basketball 12 Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:03pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1