The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Arriving early at a game (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54730-arriving-early-game.html)

bkbjones Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:26pm

Arriving early at a game

So I always arrive early, maybe sometimes too early, but if it's an hour before game time and I am not there something is wrong.

So, today, fall ball junior high game...and I am not only an hour early, I am 169 hours early.

New personal record, thank you very much.

NCASAUmp Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:31pm

John, we've gotta talk about your medication, bro. :)

outathm Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:08pm

Did you find a Starbucks and hang out or did you go home?

IRISHMAFIA Wed Sep 23, 2009 07:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 626722)
Did you find a Starbucks and hang out or did you go home?

Now, that is a stupid question? ;) You don't need to "find" a Starbucks in that part of the country, Starbucks finds you!

As notorious as the Seattle area is for their coffee, I don't think they compare to Missoula, Montana. When I was there, not only was there a coffee shop or two on every block, but more vendors selling coffee out of a cart than soft pretzel vendors in Philly.:eek:

That is a lot of caffeine! Then again, if you lived in Missoula,.............:rolleyes:

NCASAUmp Wed Sep 23, 2009 07:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 626746)
Now, that is a stupid question? ;) You don't need to "find" a Starbucks in that part of the country, Starbucks finds you!

As notorious as the Seattle area is for their coffee, I don't think they compare to Missoula, Montana. When I was there, not only was there a coffee shop or two on every block, but more vendors selling coffee out of a cart than soft pretzel vendors in Philly.:eek:

That is a lot of caffeine! Then again, if you lived in Missoula,.............:rolleyes:

Wisconsin has the same problem, except with bars.

Okay, it's not really a "problem," per se. We have the highest bar per capita rate in the nation. :D

bkbjones Wed Sep 23, 2009 03:17pm

Didn't go to Starbucks...we ended up trading games, so the umpire (Mr. Petkovitz) who was supposed to do the game will do the game I was supposed to do next game.

And...Starbucks coffee is horrible IMHO. Tully's and Seattle's Best are far better, and there are some indies that are better than they.

And...Missoula is a GOOD place. It is home to the Cracker Barrel nearest Seattle. Now before you go putting down Cracker Barrel, know there are also no Waffle House up here. And, look at a picture of a geoduck. Look it up. Not only do they eat those things, they can't even pronounce it.

Dakota Wed Sep 23, 2009 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 626859)
....And...Starbucks coffee is horrible IMHO. Tully's and Seattle's Best are far better, and there are some indies that are better than they....

Seattle's Best is a subsidiary of Starbucks

IRISHMAFIA Wed Sep 23, 2009 04:00pm

Quote:

And...Starbucks coffee is horrible IMHO. Tully's and Seattle's Best are far better, and there are some indies that are better than they.

Have to agree with you there. I do Starbucks if they are the only option. Of course, when you just order a "large house blend" you get some seriously strange looks from some people :rolleyes:

Quote:

And...Missoula is a GOOD place. It is home to the Cracker Barrel nearest Seattle. Now before you go putting down Cracker Barrel, know there are also no Waffle House up here. And, look at a picture of a geoduck. Look it up. Not only do they eat those things, they can't even pronounce it.
Yeah, Missoula is a cool little town. Reminds me of Mayberry, except they now have some buildling over two stories. Barely remember seeing Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen at a bar with a load of taps.

Welpe Wed Sep 23, 2009 04:04pm

If you want both Cracker Barrel and Waffle House in the same town, I highly recommend Texas. They even have Whataburgers and Chik-Fil-A out the ying yang. No Peet's Coffee or In-N-Out though. :D

I will now sit back and wait for Mike to have his fit of angina over the word "Texas". ;)

bkbjones Wed Sep 23, 2009 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 626872)
Seattle's Best is a subsidiary of Starbucks

Yes, Starbuck's bought them a few years ago. However they still do things independently. For instance, SBC doesn't burn their beans when they roast them...

bkbjones Wed Sep 23, 2009 05:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 626874)
If you want both Cracker Barrel and Waffle House in the same town, I highly recommend Texas. They even have Whataburgers and Chik-Fil-A out the ying yang. No Peet's Coffee or In-N-Out though. :D

I will now sit back and wait for Mike to have his fit of angina over the word "Texas". ;)

Don't tempt me...if I had my druthers, I would be back in TX tomorrow. What's good is when you have a Waffle house and Whataburger kitty-corner from each other, across from the mall where the Chik-Fil-A is sitiated.

SethPDX Wed Sep 23, 2009 07:41pm

Quote:

+1 to both paragraphs. There are more than enough Starbucks up here, but Portland is full of independent places that make good coffee.

(Did I mention we have a lot of good beer here too? :D)

And Missoula is a great little town. I had a lot of fun when I was there.

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Wed Sep 23, 2009 09:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 626717)
So I always arrive early, maybe sometimes too early, but if it's an hour before game time and I am not there something is wrong.

So, today, fall ball junior high game...and I am not only an hour early, I am 169 hours early.

New personal record, thank you very much.

psst - change your calendar to 2009 ;)

I'm actually the same....

If i am not there a half hour before game time I'm LATE! Sunday morning men's FP, game time is 845 for a DH, I am there by 8 - time to sip my coffee....get rid of my coffee:p ....and start getting my gear on, so that when my partner shows up at 830, i'm already half dressed, and then I can do the 2nd game on the bases, and jump in my vehicle and run home when we are done!

Welpe Thu Sep 24, 2009 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 626886)
Don't tempt me...if I had my druthers, I would be back in TX tomorrow. What's good is when you have a Waffle house and Whataburger kitty-corner from each other, across from the mall where the Chik-Fil-A is sitiated.

Sounds about right. Don't forget the 3 or 4 wing places, too. :D

I've discovered another treat since being here, and that is the brewed goodness that is Shiner Bock. I'm a bit of a beer snob but I think Shiner is one of my new favorites.

Skahtboi Thu Sep 24, 2009 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 626971)
Sounds about right. Don't forget the 3 or 4 wing places, too. :D

I've discovered another treat since being here, and that is the brewed goodness that is Shiner Bock. I'm a bit of a beer snob but I think Shiner is one of my new favorites.

Not begrudging you your beer or anything, but there are many, many better brews than Shiner Bock. Some made right here in Texas. Ever had anything from Rahr's out of Ft. Worth. The Ugly Pug is a good one. Also, St. Arnold's has a bunch of good beer. (Their Winter Stout probably being my favorite.)

If you are ever up around Dallas, try a Humperdinks or a Two Rows. Both brew their own beer, and do a mighty fine job of it.