The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

getting inside

U1 goes inside and pivots and has batter/runner to second or no in 3 person mechanics? Also what do college assignors/observers look for? Can you have a baseball like called third strike mechanic or is it just the basic one?

Last edited by Indianajones; Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 11:14pm.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

What association are you calling for? May make a difference...

Let's assume no one goes out to call the catch or fair/foul, and let's assume we're talking ASA.

If there are no runners on, 3BU goes inside to cover the batter-runner going to 2B. If there's a lone runner on 1B, 3BU covers 2B, including the BR. If there's a single runner on 3B, 3BU releases to cover the BR going to 2B only if the runner on 3rd is absolutely committed to heading home.

So in a nutshell, as long as 1BU is NOT counter-rotated, 3BU will usually have calls at 2B.

In all other cases, 1BU has the BR going to 2B.

If I screwed that up, someone will let me know.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA mechanics? Someone else will have to provide an answer. I believe they're largely similar to ASA's, but I believe there are differences.

Anyone else want to take this one? The OP prior to the edit did not specify any association, and I only do ASA.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

multiple runners on

with multiple runners on U1 is already @ 2nd correct
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

As NC has already stated it depends on the situation (if ball is hit in air to outfield and someone is going out) and where the umpires are who has the BR into 2nd.

Your second question, yes with multiple runners on U1 is near 2nd, off the shoulder of the 2nd baseperson. But again if there is a fly ball from left fielder to right fielder going toward the middle part of the field U1 should be chasing that fly ball for catch no catch, and U3 would have BR into 2nd base. So it depends on a number of variables who would take the BR into 2nd.

To your last original question, ASA and FED mechanics are the same. NCAA has it's own mechanics. They "work the rim" and have a different person cover 1st base calls when U1 goes out with nobody on. There are other small differences I am sure (I don't call NCAA so someone else will have to chime in) these are just 2 that I do know of.

I am not sure what a 'baseball like' called 3rd strike is, but in all softball that I have seen having a baseball like call is not a good thing. By that I mean pointing instead of the hammer. Also looking away from the ball when making a called 3rd is frowned very heavily upon by any ruleset.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

NCAA 3 umpire mechanics.

U1 on a single can stay outside on a single with no one on. They watch the touch and then move to a position 10' from the bag at 90º from the front of the bag. If there is a throw back that is the best position to see the play. U3 is coming over to a point 10' from 2nd at 90º from the front of the bag. U1 will come into a holding zone when the single runner goes to 2nd. If the runner goes to 3rd they (U1) will rotate home to the point of the plate. This is different than ASA.

Turning your head away from the ball and pointing on a 3rd strike is a big "NO NO" in NCAA mechanics. Not that it is too much like baseball it's just not seeing the ball is a bad thing. You would not be too convincing on a D3K call.

Why am I awake at 3 am on a school night?
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

NCAA mechanics

so on a single U1 lets the U3 take the runner into second and does not go to the inside they stay on "the rim" is that correct? and as far as called 3rd i'm not talking about pointing the finger and looking to your right or left, i'm talking about the various ways that you can ring them up per say you know with the different kinds of arm contortions and such.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

The NCAA allows the umpires to make a judgement as to if it is better to stay out or come inside. The term used is "working outside".

As far as a 3rd strike call it is suppose to be bigger than the other two but the umpire is allowed to be somewhat creative. Major league the movie would not work.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Rachel

as far as whackers at first lets say, or any base for that matter, in ncaa do they want just the arm extended above the head to visualize a out or can you give it the good old banger move?
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones View Post
as far as whackers at first lets say, or any base for that matter, in ncaa do they want just the arm extended above the head to visualize a out or can you give it the good old banger move?
If you are asking on close plays will the NCAA allow a sell call, the answer is yes, of course. In fact, the selling of close plays, as in ASA, is encouraged.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

tips

yes close plays give it the hammer punch or what have you. I have an incredible opportunity this weekend to get into D1 college softball and I have worked 3 person baseball a lot in college but I know it is a little different. I also have watched the girls games on espn and i only see the basic fist above the head type out call. anyone with any tips or advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

The thing with D1 is there are a lot of close plays at first. Save the sell for the banger. If you sell a call where the runner is out by more than a foot then you look nervous. The key is to get your head still for the call. I try to get my body stopped as the fielder is gathering the ball watch the release and then get my head still at the base. i will actually practice this between innings during warm ups so that It is habit. That will save you when they fake the throw and then go to another base.

Evaluators are intuned to body language.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
The thing with D1 is there are a lot of close plays at first. Save the sell for the banger. If you sell a call where the runner is out by more than a foot then you look nervous. The key is to get your head still for the call. I try to get my body stopped as the fielder is gathering the ball watch the release and then get my head still at the base. i will actually practice this between innings during warm ups so that It is habit. That will save you when they fake the throw and then go to another base.
Evaluators are intuned to body language.
Rachel,

I have never heard this before. I've been told to not be moving when a play that I'm judging is in the process of happening, but I have never been specifically instructed to do what you are saying.

GREAT TIP!

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Rachel-

Is there any way I could converse with you on the phone for a few minutes I would love to pick your brain?
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

between innings

what is the ideal spot between innings for U1 and U3?