The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Changes

NFHS Softball Rules Changes 2010

1-1-2b
Changed the female fast-pitch pitching distance to 43 feet effective with the 2010-11 academic year. NOTE: Individual state associations are permitted to adopt the 43-feet distance in 2009-10, if desired.

1-5
Identified and specified guidelines for each part of the bat, including: knob, handle/grip, taper, barrel and end cap. In addition, the rule clarifies that the taper must be a solid surface.

3-2-12
Added an exception to permit hard, unadorned devices, such as bobby pins, barrettes and hair clips, no longer than 2 inches, to be worn to control a player’s hair.

9-6-6
Changed the required number of innings pitched to half of the total number of innings played in the game for a starting pitcher to be credited with a win.

2010 MAJOR EDITORIAL Changes

1-3-3
An eighth of an inch was added to the maximum circumference of both 11- and 12-inch softballs, to 11¼ and 12¼, respectively.

2-20-1f
Clarified that a batted ball is fair if it first falls or is first touched on or over fair territory beyond first, second, or third base.

3-1-3
Clarified that a team’s lineup card shall include the first initial and last name of each player.

8-2-9

Note
Added a note to clarify that the batter-runner is called out when she hits an infield fly even when the infield fly is not initially called, if brought to the umpire’s attention before the next pitch.

2010 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. Illegal Pitch Enforcement

2. Three-Foot Running Lane

3. Non-Traditional Game Equipment

4. DP/FLEX Rule

2010 and 2011 MAJOR MANUAL REVISIONS

1. Navy blue slacks were added as a uniform option.

2. Positioning for a field umpire was changed back to being no closer than 18 feet from the base for force plays.

3. Between innings, the plate umpire will now take a position facing the field at the first baseline extended when the team in the first-base dugout is coming to bat and the third baseline extended when the team in the third base dugout is coming to bat.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Thread: http://forum.officiating.com/softball/53888-2010-nfhs-rule-changes.html
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, Tom, they may drive fast in Texas, but sometimes they are a little on the slow side.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

2-20-1f
Clarified that a batted ball is fair if it first falls or is first touched on or over fair territory beyond first, second, or third base.

So it's finally in black and white. Fed baseball specifies an imaginary line between 1B and 3B as the fair-foul boundary, and even though the softball book didn't include that wording, some people insisted that the 1B-3B line also applied in Fed softball. (Part of the reason was that when Fed baseball inserted its wording, they mentioned that they were simply clarifying a universal understanding. But this is actually not true, since OBR and ASA/NCAA softball do not observe the 1B-3B line.)

In fact, I don't know of a code other than Fed baseball that observes the 1B-3B line (but there are a lot of codes out there).
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yeah, Tom, they may drive fast in Texas, but sometimes they are a little on the slow side.
Yeah...and when I click on the link you provided, this is what I get:

Quote:
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /core/contentmanager/uploads/2010_NFHS_SOFTBALL_RULES_CHANGES.pdf
I just thought I would provide "readable" information!

Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post

That's because the fed web site is being re-structured, and several pages of it are down. I assume temporarily. In your estimation, I guess, it was urgent for us to have access to the several months old information TODAY!

Last edited by Dakota; Wed Sep 02, 2009 at 02:54pm.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You mean the link I provided nearly three months ago? How long do you expect them to wait around for the Slowskys?

Thanks.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
That's because the fed web site is being re-structured, and several pages of it are down. I assume temporarily. In your estimation, I guess, it was urgent for us to have access to the several months old information TODAY!
NFHS Forum: Softball
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Thanks. If you go in at the Top (main NFHS home page), you'll see that the look is different and the internal pages have been restructured. I couldn't initially find where the forum went, but many of the internal page links, such as the one to 2010 softball rules changes, have changed. Here are the softball rules changes listing and here are the commentaries on the rules changes.
Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You mean the link I provided nearly three months ago? How long do you expect them to wait around for the Slowskys?

Thanks.

I admit it, I don't check in much in the summer. Don't bother much to go back and read what I have missed. However, three months???? At least down here we know that from the first of July to the first of September only constitute two months!

Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I admit it, I don't check in much in the summer. Don't bother much to go back and read what I have missed. However, three months???? At least down here we know that from the first of July to the first of September only constitute two months!
You need to remember where I am. Texas may think it is big, but in the Northeast, everything from dollars to scents is exaggerated and always rounded up. What you would spend in NYC for one hour parking and one drink would get you a ticket to a Cowgirl....er, Cowboys game.

In Philadelphia, parking is so expensive, if you sit at an intersection for more than two minutes, they try to charge you $10. The homeless who run out and wash your windshields take credit cards!

Trust me, you only THINK you are big. Up here, people ACT big.

So, July, August & September....3 months, right?