The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

What is the correct procedure for disqualifying a player?

Situation: A1 is dribbling the ball, B2 reaches in and steals the ball, no foul called. A1, thinking he was fouled and emotional, pushes B1 in the back knocking B1 to the ground. Official calls an intentional/fragrant foul, awarding B 2 free throws and the ball OOB at division line.

The stitch is, the game officials never notified the HC of the disqualification. Player goes back in and plays. 4 days later, the AD of team A is notified of the disqualification of A1 from that game, and by rule, the next game.

Can this disqualification be disputed or should it be upheld?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Just for information...on an intentional foul, the ball is taken OOB at the spot of the foul. Maybe the foul was near the division line and that is why the officials took the ball there.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
What is the correct procedure for disqualifying a player?
Notify the coach, notify the player, notify the scorer.

Quote:
Situation: A1 is dribbling the ball, B2 reaches in and steals the ball, no foul called. A1, thinking he was fouled and emotional, pushes B1 in the back knocking B1 to the ground. Official calls an intentional/fragrant foul, awarding B 2 free throws and the ball OOB at division line.
If it was IP, no DQ. If it was FP, DQ.

Quote:
The stitch is, the game officials never notified the HC of the disqualification. Player goes back in and plays. 4 days later, the AD of team A is notified of the disqualification of A1 from that game, and by rule, the next game.

Can this disqualification be disputed or should it be upheld?
I'd say that not notifying the coach is a reason not to impose any penalty on the game where the kid played, but the player should still be suspended from the next game (assuming that's the "correct" penalty for a DQ in your area).

Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
on an intentional foul, the ball is taken OOB at the spot of the foul.
This is true for an intentional personal foul. . .

My point is just that if it had been an intentional technical, you'd inbound at midcourt. However, in the original play, the ball was live and so I think RookieDude's assumption is probably correct. In the play above, the ball should've been taken out at the closest spot to the foul.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Would you all agree or disagree that the situation constituted a Flagrant Foul?

My thoughts were Intentional Personal, Not Flagrant!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Would you all agree or disagree that the situation constituted a Flagrant Foul?

My thoughts were Intentional Personal, Not Flagrant!
Hard to say without seeing it. If it was a retaliation foul then it could very well be flagrant. Just because the kid who got pushed in the back didn't get hurt doesn't mean the act wasn't flagrant. If he fell on his face and broke his nose, would you change your mind? It all depends on the act and what led up to the act. Who can say what it was if they weren't there to see it?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Official's judgement...I would say that should be an easy "sell" if a player shoves another player in the back hard enough for them to go to the ground...especially since the shove is in retailiation.(sp)
Richland, WA
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 04:12pm
Never Stop Learning

I had one simular the other day. B stole pass at the division line and was taking it for an uncontested lay in. A came from behind and with great force pushed B player from behind and sent him to the floor. I called intentional foul and on the way to report I thought if I am supposed to DQ someone for taking a swing at someone without even making contact then this type of foul is certainly as serious as that. I DQ'd him and when I told the coach, he said your sub is already at the table. My wife keeps score and told me after the game that the coach was all over the kid for a while after he got to the bench. We also miss the next game here if DQ'd. Valuable lesson learned on his part.