The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Ive never been a part of the voting process, but I am interested in their complaints. They argue that they have been making these demands for years, but essentially the slow pitch guys /people not involved in FP essentially shut them down with their voting block.

Can that be true?

Have the desires of the people playing this game been ignored?

Its their game... who is a slow pitch person (not you Mike, just in general) to tell them them college players are accepted in JO play when they dont want them there?

I'm sure ASA wants to use their nice stadium, but that is some pretty crappy conditions they are explaining.

And who the hell can't think up a better way to run a 64 team double elim w/ 2 pooll plays in less than 9 days?

Or is this just new whining they are making up off the cuff. We are talking real money and issues and if these are their gripes, as heads of gold teams, should they have some standing in the process?

Be sure, I'm not arguing for or against - but just a few years ago we sent people around to ask beer league dudes how they wanted their game.

Is FP not worth the same courtesy?

There is a lot of anger at ASA right now, and it shouldnt be that way. We all care a great deal for this sport and IMO, there are some losses being taken and some mitigation needs to take place.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Their perception is out of whack with the truth on their primary complaint. The issue of college players playing in A and Gold has never made it out of the JO Committee with a recommendation to approve; that committee is made up exclusively of those charged with running the JO fastpitch program. They just don't get that the 18 Gold National isn't simply a recruiting venue; anyone age eligible is eligible!!

The issue of OKC's climate is true; it is also true of more than 80% of the USA the first week in August. The issue of the length of tournament is true; and will remain true until more fields are built. You simply can't run a double elim plus two pool games tournament efficiently on 4 fields, even when you use outside fields for pool games. It takes 8 fields to do it efficiently, and the HOF Complex only has 4.

Every year, the JO Committee charges the ASA National Office Reps with finding out what the teams want; every year they tell them. That doesn't mean what they want is what is best for the game, or what is best for ASA. Their own JO people understand that ASA isn't running an exclusionary National Championship. Or should there be no high school players at the 14A, if they are in high school, they must play 16A or up?
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Go ahead. I wouldn't walk across the street to spit on a Walmart regardless of the price. Oh, and BTW, they don't give a **** about you or anyone else.
Obviously...the Gold Coaches feel differently than you do!!

They are a different breed...their "business" is getting kids recruited...(and the college coaches "business" is recruiting the best recruitable players...not watching the "supposed best teams" play for a National Championship) regardless of whether you or I or anyone else agree with their philosophy...it is the monster it is!!

Oh, and BTW, I don't expect anyone to give a **** about me or anyone else.
Some do...some don't for various reasons... that's OK!!
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification, Steve, I kinda thought that something like that went on. The whole thing rang of whiney so cal coach sniveling, which everyone knows can be quite boistrous. Its still concerning a little.

It will be interesting to watch this latest So Cal drama unfold. I'm sure the meeting will have a different flavor and tone this year lol!

Maybe they need to move the tourney until they have the correct facilities.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go ahead. I wouldn't walk across the street to spit on a Walmart regardless of the price. Oh, and BTW, they don't give a **** about you or anyone else.
I think he was making an analogy...
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I think he was making an analogy...
....So was I !!!!
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Steve, I kinda thought that something like that went on. The whole thing rang of whiney so cal coach sniveling, which everyone knows can be quite boistrous. Its still concerning a little.

It will be interesting to watch this latest So Cal drama unfold. I'm sure the meeting will have a different flavor and tone this year lol!

Maybe they need to move the tourney until they have the correct facilities.
IIRC, the Gold division came out of similar whining about the 18U A division.

BTW, Steve's comments point out that there are two things that are a problem with the OKC facility for running a large national tournament: climate and size of the facility. ASA may not be able to do much about the climate (maybe hold the tournament in San Diego and see how they like THAT climate in August...), but if the facility is too small, they should not continue to try to force fit it. Work a deal with some other fields in the area (upgrading them to ASA Championship standards if need be), or build more fields. But, it would appear those complaining do have a point if they are trying to hold a 64 team DE tournament with pool play on 4 fields.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthegame View Post
Obviously...the Gold Coaches feel differently than you do!!

They are a different breed...their "business" is getting kids recruited...(and the college coaches "business" is recruiting the best recruitable players...not watching the "supposed best teams" play for a National Championship) regardless of whether you or I or anyone else agree with their philosophy...it is the monster it is!!

Oh, and BTW, I don't expect anyone to give a **** about me or anyone else.
Some do...some don't for various reasons... that's OK!!
I understand they have an agenda. It IS exploited and nearly mythical at times. There are not enough scholarships available to accommodate all the promises or claims made.

My point is that ASA is not a clearing house for college recruits. However, they go out of their way to accommodate the teams, players and coaches in providing schedules, exclusive access to some data and constant flow of up to the game status.

But in the long run, their mission is to promote and advance the sport of softball for all, not just those vying for a scholarship.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand they have an agenda. It IS exploited and nearly mythical at times. There are not enough scholarships available to accommodate all the promises or claims made.

My point is that ASA is not a clearing house for college recruits. However, they go out of their way to accommodate the teams, players and coaches in providing schedules, exclusive access to some data and constant flow of up to the game status.

But in the long run, their mission is to promote and advance the sport of softball for all, not just those vying for a scholarship.

I agree with you....and so do the Gold coaches!
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

So uhh... How 'bout them Olympics?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
So uhh... How 'bout them Olympics?
The olympics are lame.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The olympics are lame.
wade, do you need a hug?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

You know, it might not be so bad to have so cal have their own "I dont wanna travel or go in the heat wah wah" league.

Sure will be a lot less sniveling at nats.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You know, it might not be so bad to have so cal have their own "I dont wanna travel or go in the heat wah wah" league.

Sure will be a lot less sniveling at nats.
I don't think Phil or any of the other Nor Cal Gold coaches committed to this tournament (or the others throughout the nation for that matter) would appreciate you lumping them in that catagory?
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure he makes you quiver in your pants.. but thats not me. I respect him as a coach and when Stings pitcher joined Sorcerers I knew and posted they were the team to beat. I also have a lot of respect for Kim and the way she coaches and calls the defensive game.

But they have a chosen path. We'll just have to see how it goes. Obviously, ASA goes on... ASA wont curl up in a ball because a few teams left. There are plenty of teams.

This is not the end of the world. Hopefully ASA takes the opportunity to improve some things, and HOPEFULLy bring some back - but for the rest, nothing can be done about them and no crying over spilt milk. At this point, they are spilled milk.

The representation was a bunch of SP /non JO guys was forcing college players on JO ball.. when apparently, it never even left their own committee.

I'm afraid this is on them, in the end.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 10:17pm.