The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 24, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Variation of ball Contacting Runner

Here's the Sitch. ASA Rec League Coed SP. Bases loaded, female catcher. Batter hits a popup about 5 ft in front of plate. Ball obviously has alot of back spin. Catcher runs up to try and catch the ball. Ball hits of her glove hits ground and because of the spin heads toward foul territory along third base line hitting R1 coming towards home. No other fielders had a chance to make a play on the ball. What's the Ruling?

Last edited by Chewy; Mon Aug 24, 2009 at 12:57pm.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2009, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Here's the Sitch. ASA Rec League Coed SP. Bases loaded, female catcher. Batter hits a popup about 5 ft in front of plate. Ball obviously has alot of back spin. Catcher runs up to try and catch the ball. Ball hits of her glove hits ground and because of the spin heads toward foul territory along first base line hitting R1 coming towards home. No other fielders had a chance to make a play on the ball. What's the Ruling?
The ball was deflected by a fielder. Unless the runner goes out of his way to make contact with the ball, I've got nothing as per 8-8-F.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.