The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Trash Talking From Dugout

Earlier this week, I was working (solo) an ASA co-ed slow pitch game when multiple players from one dugout shouted insulting comments toward a player in the field after an unusual play. The dugout was crowded with about eight or nine players, and I was not sure who was shouting and who wasn't.

I immediately went to the dugout and told them that the comments had to stop, and fortunately that was the end of it. Had it continued, I would have summoned the captain and asked him to address his team.

My question, though, is how best to handle a situation like that if the trash-talking had continued (or if the original comment was so bad that it warranted an ejection) and I could not determine which player, or players, actually made the comment.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Trash Talking???

I had a similar sit, I walked over to the dugout, pointed out the best player on the team, told him quietly he was gone for the TT comment, and he quickly gave up the original offender, who was EJed. Worked for me?

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

I think you handled it the right way. You essentially issued a team warning for USC (unsportsmanlike conduct). If it had continued, pull the coach/manager/captain aside and have him tell you whoever it was and eject that person. If the whoever's in charge of the team is not cooperative, toss them instead (warn 'em before you do so, of course).

The coach is responsible for his/her team's behavior. If the coach doesn't put a stop to it, they're just as guilty.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

If the talk had continued I would have gone to the dugout and thrown whomever was standing at the fence, hoping there were enough to get to the magic number for that league.

Trash talk in CO-ed? Really? Its bad enough that they are playing T ball for adults, then they want to talk trash too? Not gonna happen!
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64 View Post
...pointed out the best player on the team, told him quietly he was gone for the TT comment, and he quickly gave up the original offender, who was EJed.
I had an uncle who was inducted into ASA's Indicator faternity back in late 80's or early 90's, who told me that he would tell the coach to put whoever he wanted ejected on the end of the bench because that was who he was going to toss if he heard more. But, I kind of like your solution better.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 07:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
I had an uncle who was inducted into ASA's Indicator faternity back in late 80's or early 90's, who told me that he would tell the coach to put whoever he wanted ejected on the end of the bench because that was who he was going to toss if he heard more. But, I kind of like your solution better.
You know, this might actually lead the coach/manager to putting the trash talker there, so your job would be easier. Remember, it's COED ball, and usually the trash talker on those teams get looked down on with that sneer you see high society folks give to the average joe sometimes.