The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Trash Talking Goes Too Far

This has been one of the most talked about news stories in Rochester, NY since Sunday.

I've been playing in a slowpitch league for 9 years now in the Henrietta league that is mentioned in the article. I've never seen anything like this.

A softball player died Monday after taking a blow to the head from a player on an opposing team over the weekend.

Quote:
Daniel Andrews, 37, of Hilton played in his usual Sunday softball league at Forks Park off Manitou Road in Parma with his Pallet Express team. According to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, when the game was over about 2:30 p.m., Andrews was punched below the ear by a player from the opposing team, who then took off running.
Quote:
Andrews was taken to Unity Hospital in Greece after Sunday's game and then was transferred to Strong Memorial Hospital because of the severity of his injury. He remained on life support Monday, but Strong spokesman Mark Michaud confirmed Monday evening that Andrews had died. He added that Andrews' family was too distraught to comment or release further details on Andrews' death.

Quote:
According to reports from the Sheriff's Office, there had been trash talk among some players throughout Sunday's game. When the teams went to line up to shake hands, Helfer said, Andrews was punched with a closed fist in the back of the head.

Sanders fled and a search ensued, with State Police using a helicopter. Sheriff's deputies found Sanders about 8 p.m. after they received a phone call from residents of Frisbee Hill Road who had seen him in the area.
Click link to read entire article.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

This is just another incident in a long string of escalating tempers on "the ol' ball field." It's truly pathetic that some thug like Sanders would sucker punch a guy in the back of the head over a game.

A game.

I forget if I mentioned this, but a couple of weeks ago, we had a similar incident between teammates in the men's MP league. Except in this case, one player jabbed the knob of a bat against his teammate's head. The recipient of the jab ended up just fine, and decided not to press charges. Both players involved were known for being hot-heads, and the coach of the team told the league director, "kick 'em both out."

What is with these people? What the hell goes through their heads that makes them say, "I'm pissed, so I'm going to whack this guy in the head?"

I commend Yazwinski for backing the umps in this story, and I commend the quote from Sweetheimer.

My deepest condolences to all those who mourn the victim.

I hope the assailant rots.

If we should take anything from this story, it should be that we should do what we can to nip it in the bud. There is a fine line between "cutting up" with the other team and "cutting down" on the other team. If the line is crossed, don't do anyone any favors by not warning/ejecting a player who crosses the line. I'm not saying the umpires didn't do their jobs by any means, because you never know when someone decides to flip out. I'm only speaking in a forward-looking sense.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 10:28pm.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

That is really unfortunate.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Had this happen to me just tonight, I do one man SP, had teams starting to go at each other with words and remarks. I tried to nip it in the bud as soon as I saw it happening. I was lucky because the game only lasted 3 innings. If the game had gone much further I'm not sure if I could have controlled things much longer. Luckily things ended without any further trouble.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 12:33am
Administrator

It is getting bad all over. Three times this year in USSSA sanctioned boys' 12U baseball games I had to lecture the coaches of both teams about setting a good example of sportsmanship because they, the coaches, not the players were jawing at each. I don't know whether I should laugh or cry.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
It is getting bad all over. Three times this year in USSSA sanctioned boys' 12U baseball games I had to lecture the coaches of both teams about setting a good example of sportsmanship because they, the coaches, not the players were jawing at each. I don't know whether I should laugh or cry.

MTD, Sr.
My first year of umpiring, I was only 15 years old. The age group was 4th graders through 8th graders. I had two coaches who had to be separated by their own players, because they literally were about to fight.

It's sad to put your own kids in that position.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
If we should take anything from this story, it should be that we should do what we can to nip it in the bud. There is a fine line between "cutting up" with the other team and "cutting down" on the other team. If the line is crossed, don't do anyone any favors by not warning/ejecting a player who crosses the line. I'm not saying the umpires didn't do their jobs by any means, because you never know when someone decides to flip out. I'm only speaking in a forward-looking sense.
And "decided not to press charges" just adds to the problem, making it "allowable" to attack people if it's on a field.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
This is the text of an email I recently sent to a State Attorney General' office.
USSF and NISOA are soccer sanctions, league and college.
.................................................. .................................................

I heard about this case:
"A few weeks ago a referee in [State] was assaulted by a player in a adult game. This assault was on the internet and eventually made its way to the national news. the assault was the referee was seriously bitten in the face by the adult player.
This referee is [ref name]. He is a member in good standing in USSF, NISOA and NFHS. He also is a member of [two local assoc.]."

I absolutely support your effort to prosecute this offender. No official, [ref name] or anyone else, should have to consider being assaulted during or after a game, let alone a player being close enough to bite him. No official in any sport should have assault as a concern. I used to officiate "adult" soccer in [local league] and dropped it because of players like this.

Sports official or not, assault is assault and if the Felony Assault Law protecting sports official is less severe than another law or requires a second offense, then please follow the more severe penalty. I frequently recommend police involvement in officiating threats and attacks and fully believe it is needed.

Thank you for your effort in this case.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
And "decided not to press charges" just adds to the problem, making it "allowable" to attack people if it's on a field.
Well, one of his teammates talked him down from doing so. It was clear that he was certainly not innocent in this whole thing, and a defense attorney could easily argue that the recipient (notice how I never say, "victim?") of the jab had instigated the attack. Granted, nothing can justify taking the knob of a bat to the back of someone's head over a softball game, but it was clear that both sides were guilty of something.

Furthermore, the wife of the attacker was present at the game, and she certainly gave him a good piece of her mind.

Both players were kicked out of the league.

Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know which states have made separate laws regarding assaulting a sports official? I wonder if there's a chart somewhere...

Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

I personally oppose specialty laws like this as a matter of political principle. Can anyone name an assault on a sports official that would NOT meet the definition of assault on an ordinary citizen? Use the normal assault laws to prosecute these idiots and justice will be served. We don't need the political feel-good solution.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I personally oppose specialty laws like this as a matter of political principle. Can anyone name an assault on a sports official that would NOT meet the definition of assault on an ordinary citizen? Use the normal assault laws to prosecute these idiots and justice will be served. We don't need the political feel-good solution.
I agree.

However, though I don't care for such laws, how many cases would be be cast aside by moronic judges who buy into the "heat of the game" bull$hit argument if a separate charge was not literally placed in front of them?

That type of attitude by the courts is what caused the separate laws to be enacted.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:12am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I agree.

However, though I don't care for such laws, how many cases would be be cast aside by moronic judges who buy into the "heat of the game" bull$hit argument if a separate charge was not literally placed in front of them?

That type of attitude by the courts is what caused the separate laws to be enacted.
Not to mention DA's that decline to prosecute "in the interest of justice."
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Correct. Assault is Assault.

These stupid Hate Crime Laws are insane. Somehow, a guy is a worse criminal if he slashes a guy's throat because he is gay than if he slashes a woman's throat to steal her purse?

Joe In Missouri
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
This is the text of an email I recently sent to a State Attorney General' office.
USSF and NISOA are soccer sanctions, league and college.
.................................................. .................................................

I heard about this case:
"A few weeks ago a referee in [State] was assaulted by a player in a adult game. This assault was on the internet and eventually made its way to the national news. the assault was the referee was seriously bitten in the face by the adult player.
This referee is [ref name]. He is a member in good standing in USSF, NISOA and NFHS. He also is a member of [two local assoc.]."

I absolutely support your effort to prosecute this offender. No official, [ref name] or anyone else, should have to consider being assaulted during or after a game, let alone a player being close enough to bite him. No official in any sport should have assault as a concern. I used to officiate "adult" soccer in [local league] and dropped it because of players like this.

Sports official or not, assault is assault and if the Felony Assault Law protecting sports official is less severe than another law or requires a second offense, then please follow the more severe penalty. I frequently recommend police involvement in officiating threats and attacks and fully believe it is needed.

Thank you for your effort in this case.
And just to demonstrate how well the courts work in this case, the same moron, Rannord Jones, was arrested again last night for stabbing a man in a fight at a Jamaican establishment.

Maybe this time they will up his bail a couple of bucks!