The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up Article in our Area about Trash Talking

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-...ck=1&cset=true

Go to the above link and read the article about trash talking among players. Our commissioner was misquote about being "liberal" on that rule. Also watch the video. How many have called "t's" this year for trash talking??
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Trash talking were my only three Ts this year.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Our R in my JUCO game Saturday addressed it in his pregame (with the players). He said we will be talking this way (pointed to players on the same teams) but not this way (and pointed to players on opposing teams). I've only had trash talking once on a HS floor, but I thought this was a good way to address it in pregame.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:11am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Our R in my JUCO game Saturday addressed it in his pregame (with the players). He said we will be talking this way (pointed to players on the same teams) but not this way (and pointed to players on opposing teams). I've only had trash talking once on a HS floor, but I thought this was a good way to address it in pregame.
How long do you think the players remember and/or abide by what is said in pregame?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
How long do you think the players remember and/or abide by what is said in pregame?
Serious answer? If you're lucky, and they're listening in the first place, right up until the pregame is over.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:22am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Serious answer? If you're lucky, and they're listening in the first place, right up until the pregame is over.
I agree. So what is the point of worrying about a cute/snappy way to address trash talking in pregame? However, they (and many other players) will remember a T during the game.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. So what is the point of worrying about a cute/snappy way to address trash talking in pregame? However, they (and many other players) will remember a T during the game.
And that is what I had to do just four minutes into a game last week after asking both captains to have their conduct represent their team and school well tonight. One of the players involved in my double T was the captain!

I even told him, you didn't do what I asked in our chat before the game.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:55am
Huck Finn

Did he remember for the rest of the game?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

both of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-...ck=1&cset=true

Go to the above link and read the article about trash talking among players. Our commissioner was misquote about being "liberal" on that rule. Also watch the video. How many have called "t's" this year for trash talking??
Only had 2 T's this year and both were for trash/taunting.

This will be more prevalent starting this week as we have playoffs etc., and the heat is on.

Thanks
DAvid
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did he remember for the rest of the game?
Yep.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

It seemed they remembered. We didn't have any problems with talking. Of course, maybe they just weren't going to talk trash anyway. I've never used this in my pregame, in fact I haven't heard it in anyone else's, I just thought it was relevant to the thread.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 04:51pm
Huck Finn

Junker, I guess I'm a little hard core about some things like this. IMO, don't worry about what witty comment you can add to your game. It just isn't going to matter to the players if your comments are cute, rhyme or whatever. We have players, coaches, rogue administrators, parents and now the courts to worry about. IMO, I keep things like this simple and worry about every call I make being a good call. If one of those calls happens to be a technical foul for trash talking, it ain't my fault.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 04:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If one of those calls happens to be a technical foul for trash talking, it ain't my fault.
Gasp....

What an amazing new concept. You can can actually call a technical foul even if it's a game interrupter and it doesn't make the game better? Just because...well...somebody actually committed an unsporting act and you're not gonna let them get away with it?

Lah me, what will they come up with next?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

I think the NBA has done a good job with this aspect of the game with it's new "respect for the game" points of emphasis. I have noticed in some of the college games I've watched that there hasn't been much of a trickle down, and the same in HS (though less of a problem at the HS level) featuring the top players. The NBA will T players for acting out, like screaming at opponents, gesturing to the crowd and popping their collars up and down the court, and I'm not seeing a lot of the same stuff being called at lower levels. I think it would be a good thing, particularly the way the game is going, for that to be tightened up in HS and college.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:44am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
I think the NBA has done a good job with this aspect of the game with it's new "respect for the game" points of emphasis. I have noticed in some of the college games I've watched that there hasn't been much of a trickle down, and the same in HS (though less of a problem at the HS level) featuring the top players. The NBA will T players for acting out, like screaming at opponents, gesturing to the crowd and popping their collars up and down the court, and I'm not seeing a lot of the same stuff being called at lower levels. I think it would be a good thing, particularly the way the game is going, for that to be tightened up in HS and college.
We had 4 technicals last night in a 79-78 OT upset for unsportsmanlike conduct. All in the first quarter!

SMEngmann, every official must make sure they are doin their part to make sure bad sportsmanship is penalized.