The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire rule knowledge is down this year

I have noticed that So-cal ASA umpire rule knowledge has been on a steady decline over the past few years. IMHO this is a direct result of the open book test. In So-cal we receive the test at the mechanics clinic and then have two weeks to complete the test. It is open book and I know some umpires that get together as a group to complete the test.

ASA needs to go back to a closed book test and force the umpires to get in to the book to correct their mistakes. I know So-Cal ASA went to open book to have more umpire qualified for Championship play, but are they really qualified?
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
I have noticed that So-cal ASA umpire rule knowledge has been on a steady decline over the past few years. IMHO this is a direct result of the open book test. In So-cal we receive the test at the mechanics clinic and then have two weeks to complete the test. It is open book and I know some umpires that get together as a group to complete the test.

ASA needs to go back to a closed book test and force the umpires to get in to the book to correct their mistakes. I know So-Cal ASA went to open book to have more umpire qualified for Championship play, but are they really qualified?
The idea of the open book test IS to get umpires into the rule book. Have a closed book test and someone just gets by, what do you think the chances of them opening the rule book are?

However, if they cannot pass an open book test, what good is going back to make the corrections? There needs to be a mini-clinic at this point, but often the problem is by that time, everyone is already on the field. In my area, it is nearly impossible to get people just to show up as association meetings.

Then there are the organizations that do not have meetings. The umpires are handed their test with a "see you in the fall" farewell.

Of course, if they ever get the damn thing on-line, we will all be better off.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

No kidding!

When we give our clinics we have had umpires show up with the test already completed! I have no idea where they are getting it but they do. My personal opinion about the declining rules knowlege is that the new umpires don't care to learn. They want their game fees and then to head to the house.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
When we give our clinics we have had umpires show up with the test already completed! I have no idea where they are getting it but they do. My personal opinion about the declining rules knowlege is that the new umpires don't care to learn. They want their game fees and then to head to the house.
Well, this is my rookie year, and I was thankful for the open book test. However, beyond that, I am re-reading the rule book at least once a week, and anytime there was something that came up during a game that I feel I need clarification.

To me, umpiring is a job, and I take this job just as seriously as my full-time job. In my opinion, umpiring is a reflection of my integrity. I can't put a price tag on my integrity. And it really bothers me to screw up a call. So I do everything I can to ensure I get it right. That has led to many learning situations this year, and I've been thankful for every one of those (except for the lack of sleep following a couple of incidents). But, I learned from those, too.

Now, after 4 months, I don't feel like a rookie any more (they still tell me I am, and I believe it), but my comfort level has grown tremendously. I think we each have a responsibility to continuously improve. If not, then there's no point to being on the field. But this is such an awesome job - you're a spectator and part of the game. How cool is that!?
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's fine by me. More tourneys will come my way!

Actually, in all seriousness, I agree, and it's not really "fine by me." These are my partners on the field, and while I try to be helpful on this board, it does me no good to have a partner that I constantly have to bail out.

I think it's more of this "right of entitlement" crap that's permeating our society. Pride in our work is diminishing, and those who do take the time to do a "good job" are seen as either corporate tight-a$$es or kiss-a$$es - almost as if they didn't get "the memo" that says, "it's uncool to do a good job."

Umpiring is no different. You have some guys who want to do the job right, and you have others who are in it solely for the paycheck and couldn't care less about doing their jobs correctly. They're completely in "survival mode" on the field, leaving those of us who care to do our jobs correctly to mop up the mess they create.

This is not to say that all paycheck umpires are evil. It is still a job, and some paycheck umps are still willing to put forth the good effort to get it done right. The only difference being that they probably couldn't care less about the game as a whole. "It's a sport, this is my game, I'm going to do it right, but it's not my life."

I'm fine with that.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

My biggest problem this year has been working with umpires at the 16A and 18A/Gold level that don't understand higher level rules. That type of rules when you are new you go, "Wow, I didn't know that" or rules that you don't typically see (if you only do ASA) until Championship play such as substitutions and DP/Flex.

I am on this rant because of what happen to me earlier this season at an 18A qualifier, and was triggered by a post on a different board (Irish will recognize). Runners on first and second ball hit to F6 runner on second runs right in to F6. Partner (BU) kills the play. Calls R1 out and then proceeds to call R2 out. OC comes out and asked doesn't there need to be intent. BU said no. OC asked him to get some help from me BU said no (I was bitting my lip and keeping the other OC coach away). Surprised me that OC did not protest, but they had already qualified and were just finishing out the tournament. After the game I asked my partner if he felt the runner intentionally ran into F6 to break up the double play. He said no, I said then you got it wrong. He told me no, and for me to get in to the book. I just smiled and said, well one of us should. I think I saw the UIC discussing the play with him after the game, but I am not sure because I was on my way to work the bases for the next game.

This is a second job for me, and except for 2 to 3 months out of the year I earn enough to put gas in my car and food on the table. However, just like my 8 to 5 I take pride in my work and want to succeed, and I drives me nuts every year that I work with someone that is umpiring upper level ball because of longevity and not performance.

I know we all have bad games. I know I do, but it is not because of rule knowledge. It is because I can't hold a consistent strike zone or I am not in the best position to make a call, etc.

"Pride compels you to do your best at all times. It pushes you to accomplish more than others expect of you - to accomplish what you expect of yourself.

Taking pride in your work means taking pride in yourself
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
My biggest problem this year has been working with umpires at the 16A and 18A/Gold level that don't understand higher level rules. That type of rules when you are new you go, "Wow, I didn't know that" or rules that you don't typically see (if you only do ASA) until Championship play such as substitutions and DP/Flex.
The DP / Flex rule is the same regardless of level in ASA and I find it a little odd you only see it in championship play.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Up here in airport code SEA, we give the test twice - once to only first and second year umpires, and again to the veterans. Both are open book, open note, open neighbor. If you're able to talk to partners on the field, why not on the test? Testing how someone takes a test isn't the goal here. We are testing how well they know the rules, and how well they can refer to the book and find it.

And yes, even with this method, we managed to have a few people fail the test (less than 70%). When that happens, they know which questions they missed, so we make them go back and write every rule reference to every question (even the ones they got right) and turn it back in for grading.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
The DP / Flex rule is the same regardless of level in ASA and I find it a little odd you only see it in championship play.
Possibly he is talking about that someone actually utilizes the DP/Flex rule. Most coaches do not know how to effectively use it, so they just put in a DP/Flex and use it as a way to get in more players, instead of a strategic part of the game.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Copies of the test are on-line in January. I encourage umpires to download it or print it and get a head start on everyone else.

They have been talking for at least three years of a program which would allow an umpire to take the test on-line, submit it and ASA would have the relatively auto-graded test forwarded to the UIC or someone at the local level. The ease and the $$$ saved on printing, shipping and correcting errors would be worth the money involved in it's development. I have no doubt such a testing program is already developed and would just require some massaging.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Our ASA test was available online this year with immediate grading and the program was very successful with more umpires submitting their tests that ever before and a better ability to manage and review them. It worked great. The results were submitted via email to the UIC and the Local UIC of the umpire taking the exam.

One thing that did shock me was the # of long time umpires that did poorly. I bet next year they study up.

So cal, nevada, Cen Cal, and SF have looked at the system and may be implementing it.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 12:41pm.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Up here in airport code SEA, we give the test twice - once to only first and second year umpires, and again to the veterans. Both are open book, open note, open neighbor. If you're able to talk to partners on the field, why not on the test? Testing how someone takes a test isn't the goal here. We are testing how well they know the rules, and how well they can refer to the book and find it.

And yes, even with this method, we managed to have a few people fail the test (less than 70%). When that happens, they know which questions they missed, so we make them go back and write every rule reference to every question (even the ones they got right) and turn it back in for grading.
So many things wrong with that philosophy.

A test is a way to evaluate an individuals knowledge of the subject matter. An open book, open neighbor.... test would be fine if being able to look at a rule book or phone a knowledgeable ump during the game were permissible.

So what happens if 5 umpires meet to take the test, and 4 dont know the answer to a few questions but the 5th does, he says the answer is ....... so the other 4 umps just right down ........Now 2 of the 4 that didnt know the answer are umping a game, the same situation occurs, only this time the 5th ump who knows the rule isnt there to instruct them.

"Testing how someone takes a test isn't the goal here" might be the biggest pet peeve of mine whether talking about umpire or schooling or whatever. Dont use the excuse, "im not a good test taker" either you know the subject matter, or you dont. Its not like theyre asking you to take the test while you are fighting off raging lions. Im assuming one would be given a quite test taking environment where there are minimal distractions.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
So many things wrong with that philosophy.

A test is a way to evaluate an individuals knowledge of the subject matter. An open book, open neighbor.... test would be fine if being able to look at a rule book or phone a knowledgeable ump during the game were permissible.

So what happens if 5 umpires meet to take the test, and 4 dont know the answer to a few questions but the 5th does, he says the answer is ....... so the other 4 umps just right down ........Now 2 of the 4 that didnt know the answer are umping a game, the same situation occurs, only this time the 5th ump who knows the rule isnt there to instruct them.

"Testing how someone takes a test isn't the goal here" might be the biggest pet peeve of mine whether talking about umpire or schooling or whatever. Dont use the excuse, "im not a good test taker" either you know the subject matter, or you dont. Its not like theyre asking you to take the test while you are fighting off raging lions. Im assuming one would be given a quite test taking environment where there are minimal distractions.
Steve, I have not met you or worked with you. But I have worked with some who are of your same mindset.

You see, when you are on the field you should be working as a team. Same with the way we do the test. Sure, sometimes they eff it up, same as we sometimes do on the field. You know what happens when they eff it up? They all miss it, and then they all talk about it, how they missed it, etc. But they work together to do it.

We have a lot of umpires who think they are on an island. Guess what? You're not -- unless you are working one-umpire mechanics. The concept of teamwork is a good one, whether it is taking the test or umpiring a game.

Oh...it's not just the five umpires meeting to take the test. We have dozens meeting to take the test on veterans test night. If someone(s) can't find the answer, and they ask, we will guide them in the right direction, but it is still up to them to find the right answer...or to find the wrong answer and be gently led to the right answer later on.

As for taking the test, you need to get out from under the rock and realize that people have different learning styles, and perform differently when taking a test. Your last paragraph reminds me of the teachers my youngest daughter had during her first nine years of school. They had her pigeonholed in so many ways. Today, just three weeks after her 25th birthday, she called us to let us know her bonus for 2Q 2009 was $9,000. Sometimes learning the subject matter requires a different method. All we are doing by proscribing other learning methods is excluding those who could be umpiring with us...and could be good or even great umpires.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Steve, I have not met you or worked with you. But I have worked with some who are of your same mindset.

You see, when you are on the field you should be working as a team. Same with the way we do the test. Sure, sometimes they eff it up, same as we sometimes do on the field. You know what happens when they eff it up? They all miss it, and then they all talk about it, how they missed it, etc. But they work together to do it.

We have a lot of umpires who think they are on an island. Guess what? You're not -- unless you are working one-umpire mechanics. The concept of teamwork is a good one, whether it is taking the test or umpiring a game.

Oh...it's not just the five umpires meeting to take the test. We have dozens meeting to take the test on veterans test night. If someone(s) can't find the answer, and they ask, we will guide them in the right direction, but it is still up to them to find the right answer...or to find the wrong answer and be gently led to the right answer later on.

As for taking the test, you need to get out from under the rock and realize that people have different learning styles, and perform differently when taking a test. Your last paragraph reminds me of the teachers my youngest daughter had during her first nine years of school. They had her pigeonholed in so many ways. Today, just three weeks after her 25th birthday, she called us to let us know her bonus for 2Q 2009 was $9,000. Sometimes learning the subject matter requires a different method. All we are doing by proscribing other learning methods is excluding those who could be umpiring with us...and could be good or even great umpires.

Oh yeah?!?! Well, I bet you they don't do it that way in baseba.............and, and, and......er......they get more money, too!

Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post

Well said, John. Well said.

Is your daughter buying you lunch, by the way? I think she owes her good pops some lunch...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.