The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 04:38pm
Eschew obfuscation.

First Year Umpire

So, I've been reffing basketball and football for about six years now, and my mother (who is a HS softball head coach) persuaded me to get into baseball and softball umpiring. I have read up on a lot of threads about purchasing equipment for this year (big thanks by the way), so I think that I have most of that covered. However, I wanted to ask a lot of you that have been doing this for several years, what else can I do to prepare for my first season on the diamond? I have contacted a local association to get involved with, so that was step one in my book. Anyone got anything for me? What should I expect from this year? What are good ways of getting games this season? Any other tips from the pros? I just want to try and be as prepared as possible this year.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

The most important person you can impress , is yourself. Work hard at being the best you can.

Listen, read all that you can about officiating and baseball officiating. Work hard.

Be arrogant, yet approachable. Cocky, but confident. Dress as if you know it all and work hard to make up what you haven't quite learned yet. work hard.

Be as professional as you can and as personable as the situtaion dictates.

Remember, the first game you officiate, you are expected to be perfect and get better each time from then on.

Good Luck and welcome.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Unless you are planning to only work youth ball, maybe summer ball, you should be a state licensed official(which may include classes and a test). Your assoc will have that info (in Ohio the classes are starting now).
Your officiating experience in the other sports is an advantage over other new umpires. Read the rules. Do as many scrimmages as you can. Attend others and watch the umpires.
Good Luck
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Work as many games as you can. Don't overdo it and burn out, but if you have an opportunity, get on the field.

At meetings, find out who the veterans or training instructors are and listen to them. They are there to help you improve. Do the same with your partner before and after games. You'll get lots of good advice and some that's not so good, but this will help you learn something new every day.

And if you've read the equipment threads, you know you should get the "good" gear and uniforms as soon as you can.

You get back what you put into this. Good luck, and most importantly, have fun.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Great stuff, guys.

The part about listening to your partners is vital. No matter what is said or by whom, be receptive. Even if it's advice from a guy with an adjustable cap, Leather Lustered shoes and purple slacks, listen. It's the fastest way to learn and it's the best way to get a good reputation. You'll develop a filter real soon, and like Seth said, you'll learn who the main guys are and gain a lot from them. In one of my first H.S. games, I was paired with a kid barely more than half my age. In the post-game, he asked me if I wanted to hear what he had, and I said yes with genuine enthusiasm. He went on for almost an hour and I soaked it all up. The more criticism I took, the more help he offered. But I had to swallow it, because I was the rookie, and he was the veteran, despite his being a kid. (22-year-old who had been at it since he was 11, and was doing high school at 18, and had been to pro school.)

The kid really helped me and he gave a great report because I was so receptive. I got through that growth period a lot more quickly and easily based on my being open to criticism from my partners.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Tue Feb 10, 2009 at 03:20pm.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

And to add to what you just said, guys probably won't give you unsolicited advice. The partners I've gotten the best tips from ask if you'd like some suggestions. The correct answer is always yes.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Precisely!