The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I've only done 2 games solo and that was last year due to the fact that my partner and I were the only 2 umpires at a two field park. So we both had to do some games solo. I've read the mechanics in the ASA manual regarding one umpire system. However, what I would like from you experienced umpires (this is my 2nd year), is some practical advice. Anything I should be especially aware of? What have you learned over the years that works best?

Thanks for the input!

Randall
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked 24 games this year - 14-15 of them solo.

My advice is HUSTLE. Move out from behind the plate to get the best view on the calls. Anticipate steals so you can move to position. I move to around the pitchers circle as much as possible and then favor towards where ever the call will be - 1,2,3. If the ball is hit to the out field - I can be right by 3rd or even 2nd. Follow the play with anticipation of where it will be.. which is not always easy at the younger levels. Be ready to be exhausted unless you are some marathon type person... and then maybe still.

Good luck! I like working alone in theory but think the best called games are with a BU...

Also.. there is no one else to blame or appeal to but you so that can be interesting
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Many (most?) rec games for me are solo. Almost all JV games tend to be solo also.

Hustle and confidence are indeed keys. The more you are sure of yourself and your knowledge of the rules the easier it will be to be "everywhere at the same time". I also bring up the fact at the pregame and tell the coaches that I'll get in position as quick as I can for steals, out of play situations, etc. Sometimes the coach is sympathetic. Sometimes not.

Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Hustle is nice, but it is also important to stay out of the way of any possible play. It is better you make a call at 1B from foul territory on the 3B side when there is a runner scoring, than it is if you step inside and miss a possible play at home altogether or, even worse, get hit by a throw in an attempted play at home.

Some umpires think getting down to 1B is important, but if the play doesn't go there, you've screwed up twice on one play.

Read the One-umpire system in the back of the book. It does offer some very good direction.

Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Hustle, but don't over hustle (that can be worse).

Getting the angle is more important than getting the distance.

The most difficult play will be the throw down to 2nd on a steal. Try to get the angle down the first base line so see the swipe tag. If you go into the infield before you get the angle, you'll be blocked on the swipe.

Swing more into the infield when trailing the BR than you would with a BU, so you can have the angle on the play. But be aware of where the play is coming from. Hits / bunts down the 3rd base line - stay back.

With runners on 2nd and 3rd, stay in 3rd base foul territory and get the best angle you can for first, being prepared to go to 3rd or home for a play.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

The one area that I have been burned on a couple times occures when I move out on the field to take the 3rd out on a tag play at one of the bases. Then the coach comes up and says, "Did that run count, Blue?"

Duhh!

It is mostly mental; force yourself to recognize the 3rd, call it and quickly pivot and find the runner going home.

I lose the count a lot and it's tough not having a partner to back you up. I love it when I find a competant scorekeeper and I ask them to support me with the count.

WMB
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Ive had the same thing happen as well.. and I also sometimes lose the count... i habitually click my clicker, which is usually correct - but sometimes i forget if I clicked it or not because its so habitual. One time I checked with the score keeper who responded "sorry i dont track balls and strikes" .. not fun.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Cannot over emphasis that you need to hustle! I have worked a little over 100 games this Spring all in Men's A Rec, all as a solo.

At this level, the game is fast, the players are skilled, and respect has to be earned every game. All of the above advice is invaluable, I would like to add that as a solo it is imperative that you concentrate at all times since you have no support to fall back on in the event of a brain fart. A student of the rules is also to be emphasized in addition to your ability to sell ALL calls. Don't be a showboat but be sure to show confidence in your calls. If you hustle to be in position at every opportunity you will do just fine and the respect the players will afford you could come in handy in the event that you do blow a call.

One more thing, don't be "chatty" with the players as it can be distracting. Pay attention to details even in between innings in an effort to remain focused on your job. You need to be a good game administrator but ...
Never let 'em see you sweat!
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Hustle is good, but Dakota said it best, "Getting the angle is more important than getting the distance."

If the batter is the only baserunner, I'll usually get out to the circle, and shade toward whichever base is likely to get the throw. This also lets me see her touch all bases.

If there are multiple runners, however, I will ALWAYS stay in foul ground. Also - while I've seen a lot of solo-umpires hustle down the line toward first (in foul ground) with runners on, I believe that often gives you a horrible angle on the play as it's very hard to see the runner touch from behind her. You get a better view (albeit a long one) from down the 3B line (and you're in better position for potential other plays.

One thing to keep in the back of your head is to try to see as many runners actually touch their bases as possible, without giving up positioning. Savvy coaches will appeal more often on solo-umpires, thinking that maybe if we didn't see it, we might call an out. (Wrong thinking for most of us, but possible).

And the hardest call - when there are 2 outs, try to be in position to see both a play at 2nd or 3rd, and the runner touching home to know whether the run scores. This, to me, is the absolute hardest thing to get right 100% of the time when working alone. Sometimes you have to be in a weird position to see both.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
One "mechanic" that I have found to be useful is to imagine line from the lead runner to home. You always want to stay 5-10 feet to the LEFT of that line, except for the play at 3rd when you come 2-3 steps into the infield to get an angle on the play. As the lead runner scores shift your line to the next runner and move accordingly,