View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

My biggest problem this year has been working with umpires at the 16A and 18A/Gold level that don't understand higher level rules. That type of rules when you are new you go, "Wow, I didn't know that" or rules that you don't typically see (if you only do ASA) until Championship play such as substitutions and DP/Flex.

I am on this rant because of what happen to me earlier this season at an 18A qualifier, and was triggered by a post on a different board (Irish will recognize). Runners on first and second ball hit to F6 runner on second runs right in to F6. Partner (BU) kills the play. Calls R1 out and then proceeds to call R2 out. OC comes out and asked doesn't there need to be intent. BU said no. OC asked him to get some help from me BU said no (I was bitting my lip and keeping the other OC coach away). Surprised me that OC did not protest, but they had already qualified and were just finishing out the tournament. After the game I asked my partner if he felt the runner intentionally ran into F6 to break up the double play. He said no, I said then you got it wrong. He told me no, and for me to get in to the book. I just smiled and said, well one of us should. I think I saw the UIC discussing the play with him after the game, but I am not sure because I was on my way to work the bases for the next game.

This is a second job for me, and except for 2 to 3 months out of the year I earn enough to put gas in my car and food on the table. However, just like my 8 to 5 I take pride in my work and want to succeed, and I drives me nuts every year that I work with someone that is umpiring upper level ball because of longevity and not performance.

I know we all have bad games. I know I do, but it is not because of rule knowledge. It is because I can't hold a consistent strike zone or I am not in the best position to make a call, etc.

"Pride compels you to do your best at all times. It pushes you to accomplish more than others expect of you - to accomplish what you expect of yourself.

Taking pride in your work means taking pride in yourself