The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

College Umps....

I'm getting ready to start the process for doing college ball. This will be a Juco, D2 & D3 level stuff.

Anybody feel like giving me some advice in umping the college game.....like should I have a tighter strike zone, any obvious rule differences I need to learn....

things along those lines.....
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

You going to Newark in October?
If so, I'll see you there.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
You going to Newark in October?
If so, I'll see you there.
That sounds like a T.C. deal. I'm not working for Terry but the local guy up here in Sacramento.....
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Yeah its terry. Well GL with it.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
I'm getting ready to start the process for doing college ball. This will be a Juco, D2 & D3 level stuff.

Anybody feel like giving me some advice in umping the college game.....like should I have a tighter strike zone, any obvious rule differences I need to learn....

I think this varies greatly depending on where you umpire. Here in the Florida Panhandle we get a whole lot of those teams (JUCO, NAIA, DII and DIII) in the month of March.

Most of these teams (especially those from northern states who are on the dirt for the first time all year) are about the quality of a good HS or 16U team. I don't adjust my zone at all. In our area, the college game is a bit faster (compared to HS). IMHO, If you are comfortable at ASA 16U tournaments, you'll be comfortable at lower levels of NCAA ball.

There are a number of rule differences, especially in the penalties. That requires a good bit of study. For example, subs do not reenter. Defensive conferences are more numerous. Lineup errors are punished much more severely. And the list goes on ...
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you do not have one already, go online and in addition to the NCAA Softball Rule book, order yourself a copy of the Collegiate Commisoners Association (CCA) Softball Umpires Manual. It covers absolutely everything you need to know in the way of mechanics for umpiring NCAA softball for both 2 man and 3 man crews.
More importantly however (IMHO) it goes into the the philosophy, spirit, and rational for how the NCAA wants the college game called.
As an example; you asked in your post..."should I have a tighter strike zone?"
This is a direct quote from the book by Kathy Strahm, the NCAA National Coordinator for Softball Umpires...."I continue to hear complaints about the strike zone. There are two aspects to calling a good zone: accuracy and consistency. Calling an accurate zone means calling balls and strikes by the zone a defined in the rule book. Period. Balls six inches off the plate are not strikes, no matter what the umpire "thinks" the coaches, pitchers, or batters want. Calling a consistent zone means establishing the zone with the frst batter and continuing that zone through the last pitch of the game."
Pretty good stuff (IMHO)...if you don't have it, get it. It's worth the money.
Good luck with college ball.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

For me, the biggest adjustment I had to make between HS/JO ball and College ball was "handling" the coaches.

In my experience, College coaches seem to think that they are in charge of everything on the field. They like to come out of the dugout and question calls or rule interpretations..not necessarily because they think the umpire is wrong, but trying to "work" the umpire for the next call. Some coaches just like to play head games and/or try to intimidate umpires, especially new ones at the college level. Chess Ref, if I remember correctly, you are a fairly accomplished basketball official, so you know how BB coaches are always trying to "work" the officials. Lots of the same type of stuff in college softball.

Make sure you study and learn the differences in the rules. Some of the NCAA rules are obscure, to say the least. The CCA manual is also a must read for college officials.

But most of all...it's still softball.....
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

I agree with what's already been said - definitely get a copy of the CCA manual and study it. I'd also suggest Bennett's softball rules differences booklet. Some of the coaches will try to work you - OK. As for the strike zone - precision - or, as already quoted accuracy and consistency.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 05:01am
Official Forum Member

depending on the d2 or d3 you may want to tighten up and give them the NCAA zone ( nothing off the plate and exactly at the prescribed height). however if the quality is down then call a zone you might call at a high quality travel ball tournement. But GET the manual and study it the mechanics are different and IMHO better than what else is out there.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
For me, the biggest adjustment I had to make between HS/JO ball and College ball was "handling" the coaches.

In my experience, College coaches seem to think that they are in charge of everything on the field......
Andy,

Haven't you been listening? They ARE in charge, just ask any one of them, they'll set you straight.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Andy is right about some of the coaches at the college level. I try to keep in mind that, unlike JO ball, these people’s jobs may depend on making the conference tournament, having a winning season, or even winning their next game. While this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with you, it can raise their stress level and affect how they approach things.

Also, there are players whose scholarships may be at stake based on their performance, kids who wouldn't be in school (or at least the one they're attending) were it not for softball money, and parents who wouldn't have been able to afford college without their kid’s scholarship. I know, I'm one of them.

These factors shouldn't affect the way we call a game per se, but keeping them in mind should encourage us to prepare for these games better than we might a JO/HS game.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Andy is right about some of the coaches at the college level. I try to keep in mind that, unlike JO ball, these people’s jobs may depend on making the conference tournament, having a winning season, or even winning their next game.
Or the next call can also get the umpire red lined, black balled or whatever exclusionary term is used in your area. Of course, that should have nothing to do with your call
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Or the next call can also get the umpire red lined, black balled or whatever exclusionary term is used in your area. Of course, that should have nothing to do with your call
That's where working for a good coordinator comes in. But if a coach doesn't want me working his/her games, so be it. There are plenty other games to be worked. If enough coaches feel that way, maybe college ball isn't a good fit for me. It's not for everyone.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That sounds like a T.C. deal. I'm not working for Terry but the local guy up here in Sacramento.....
I would suggest still going to the camp as it is an excellent camp to get an evaluation and experience. I have been there the last several years and the exposure and evaluations from D1 officials and assigners is worth the weekend.

Get the CCA manual as what you will find is that the coaches (because coaching is their full time job) study the rules and mechanics and there questions will be around your positioning and what position you were in when the calls made.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post
...the coaches (because coaching is their full time job) study the rules and mechanics...

This definitely does NOT happen in my world.....