The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Ok nationals are coming up, so it got me thinking (there I go working without tools again ) what do you all do to get ready for Nationals? Both mentally as well as getting gear / 'stuff' ready??
All the advice given is on target. Do not overlook getting your body healthy. As you're well aware, it's long days and nights on the field..and depending on where you're going....probably very hot. You need to be feeling your best physically. It will stand you in good stead in the long run.
> Someone already mentioned about getting yourself hydrated in the days before your first game...excellent advice.
>If you're travelling a long distance to your site (either by air or car) eat and drink properly while travelling.
>Eat sensibly in the week leading up to your tourney...and while you're there.
>Take care now of any little bumps, bruises, and nicks you've picked up during the season...heal up!
>Make sure that you're getting the proper rest prior to departing for your assignment and while you're at the tournament.
>Pack whatever over the counter meds etc. we all use to keep the body going during a long season... Advil, vitamins, Icy Hot, Aspercreme, etc. etc.
>Don't over work yourself with games back home in the 2 weeks leading up to the tournament. You already know what you need to know and know how to do on the field what you need to do....that's why you're going to a National. Don't burn yourself out trying to amke sure you're "ready".
>Focus on taking care of the physical and the mental...the rest wil take care of itself.
Good luck...have a great tournament.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

I make sure I have my stuff way in advanced. mentally I review the rules and case and manual ... try to pick up some games to make sure Im in tip top shape.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
try to pick up some games to make sure Im in tip top shape.
This tends to aggrevate some of the local teams when umpires do this.

Little things (sp i.e.-a false start by the pitcher, sliding back off PP prior to the release, etc.) which is often let go in the local one-umpire games all of a sudden get called IPs

Unfortunately, to prepare to go away, umpires have to shake off the local air and be prepared to make the calls in accordance to the mechanics and rules in the book. I've seen umpires not aware that a local rule was just that, a local rule and the first thing they see in the locker room is their UIC at the national in their face asking them, "what the hell was that?"

Always a good idea to work the weeks approaching a national, but you need to work it just as you would at the national, not the local league.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

If you work every game the same way the transition is a lot easier.

I know it is hard to do that, and you will not be as 'user friendly' on the local circuit, but I think it is better for the game and you in the long run.

I know I am not the popular umpire in some of the local leagues, but I also know that I am giving the locals (even 10U rec), the best game I can give them.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

I dont agree. I dont work every game like its a national. Every game is not a national, there are many variations. From Rec to mens ball to friendlies to showcases with open lineups. From fall ball where I will be working on some NCAA stuff to early spring. Late May to June, its all nats prep though.

Working a game like you are working a national DOES NOT mean that teams should automatically dislike you. It means you should be working on your something for yourself.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I've seen umpires not aware that a local rule was just that, a local rule and the first thing they see in the locker room is their UIC at the national in their face asking them, "what the hell was that?"
Locker room? Locker room????? Youse guys have a locker room?????????
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Locker room? Locker room????? Youse guys have a locker room?????????
Well, at four of them, yes, two had trailers and one had a picnic pavillion.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
What do I need a plate brush for? That's why we got shoes isn't it?? Who actually bends over to brush the plate I mean really.
What is the matter with you guys,
I specifically remember having a fancy pair of shoes that had a brush built right into them, on the bottom.
What, are you a bunch of rookies or what?
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61 View Post
What is the matter with you guys,
I specifically remember having a fancy pair of shoes that had a brush built right into them, on the bottom.
What, are you a bunch of rookies or what?
Scott,
They only make those shoes in patent leather now & some don't like patent leather.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 08:24pm
#thereferee99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
reDying the N's on my Plate shoes
Possible bumper sticker.
You can get custom stickers for $4.95 delivered. Consider it!