The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

What do you do to prepare for Nationals?

Ok nationals are coming up, so it got me thinking (there I go working without tools again ) what do you all do to get ready for Nationals? Both mentally as well as getting gear / 'stuff' ready??
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Ok nationals are coming up, so it got me thinking (there I go working without tools again ) what do you all do to get ready for Nationals? Both mentally as well as getting gear / 'stuff' ready??
Well, as often as you claim to be cleaning the plate on this board, I would think you have a load of plate brushes.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Well, for one, I make sure I have the right uniform as early as possible. Last year, the Nat I was at used the heather greys. This year, I'm at a different tourney, and it's the navy blue pants (Ronald, if you didn't know that already, well... consider it official: we're wearing navy blue pants as per direct communication with the UIC).

I check all of my shirts and make sure they all look sharp, along with buying a new cap and sometimes a new pair of shoes. I break them in by wearing them around the house before ever wearing them outside.

I introduce myself to the UIC and/or umpire coordinator whenever possible/appropriate, especially if they've never met me.

I give the rules and rules supplement one more cover-to-cover reading, along with the umpire manual.

Most importantly, I try to treat every game I do as though it's a National. That way, when I arrive, I've already done my "rehearsals."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
This year, I'm at a different tourney, and it's the navy blue pants (Ronald, if you didn't know that already, well... consider it official: we're wearing navy blue pants as per direct communication with the UIC).
Not good as I have one pair of Navy blue and I bought them 3 moons ago. Bull shoot!
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Do what dave says and

read case book

read every rules and clarification play from asa website

have master knowledge of definitions - and hope you have sound judgment to go along with it. they are not mutually inclusive.

visualize the tough calls

practice your mechanics in front of a mirror or a sliding door for 10 minutes per day for 1 year whatever time frame you need to be picture perfect.

Last edited by ronald; Tue Jul 21, 2009 at 02:03pm.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Not good as I have one pair of Navy blue and I bought them 3 moons ago. Bull shoot!
Who is the UIC? Charlie Moss asked me so I assume he is the E UIC but that is an assumption. He could be assistant UIC or in charge of getting the last minute umps from VA area.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I've been working on my game all year to get ready, plus I tolerate you guys year-round to try to learn the rules as much as possible The last two tournies, I've been working a lot of 3 man since my Nat is all 3 man. Me and some other umps going to nats have been splitting the 2 man game fee 3 ways and working 3 man ASA in addition to some of the qualifiers I've worked. We figured that was bettter than someone just working for free on their game off and our UIC let us do it.

But as to just this week, I'm reviewing mechanics, cleaning all my stuff real good, and generally just getting my stuff ready. reDying the N's on my Plate shoes, coloring the W on my mask, stuff like that.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

The check equipment light should have turned on some time ago so your should have already taken care of that. The rule klaxon also should have already been silenced. But double check both again.

One thing I did was about a week before; I started to drink only water. Sounds silly, but I was going to an environment that was in the 100's, I am only used to low 80's.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
The check equipment light should have turned on some time ago so your should have already taken care of that. The rule klaxon also should have already been silenced. But double check both again.

One thing I did was about a week before; I started to drink only water. Sounds silly, but I was going to an environment that was in the 100's, I am only used to low 80's.
I'm used to 100-110 and even + and always drink 80 oz per day +/-. Hydrate all the time.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who is the UIC? Charlie Moss asked me so I assume he is the E UIC but that is an assumption. He could be assistant UIC or in charge of getting the last minute umps from VA area.
Charles has his own National going that weekend. I'll PM you the details...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, as often as you claim to be cleaning the plate on this board, I would think you have a load of plate brushes.
What do I need a plate brush for? That's why we got shoes isn't it?? Who actually bends over to brush the plate I mean really.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Charles has his own National going that weekend. I'll PM you the details...
I'm going to charles', not yours but at the same city.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm going to charles', not yours but at the same city.
Ahhh... Okay. Tell Charles I say hey.

Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ahhh... Okay. Tell Charles I say hey.
read pm. i'm going to salem.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
read pm. i'm going to salem.
Labor Day weekend? Or another day? I'll be there Labor Day weekend, which is the same day as the Senior Men's National.