The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

I'm trying to understand the rationale as to why the rule is NOT invoked when there is only a runner on first base. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!
Chuck Lewis
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

There is little chance of the defense deliberately dropping the fly ball to get a double play. By the time the defense would let a routine fly ball drop,the batter runner would be past first base. But with multiple runners on and the runners even a third of the way to the next base, they could be doubled up.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Right on, Collin.

The infield fly rule is to protect the offense from an easy double play or even a triple play. On a fly ball to the infield, runners must stay on or close to their bases until the ball is touched or hits the ground. With runners on 1st and 2nd or bases loaded, it would be very easy for the defense to let the ball fall to the ground, then throw out two of the tagging runners and perhaps all three. By automatically calling the batter out, the force on the runners is removed.

In those cases when the likelihood of a double play is unlikely or unnecessary, e.g. with a runner on 1st only or two outs, the infield fly rule is not invoked.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I would like your thoughts:

Basic IF rule fielder under the ball and routine play.

My question is on games like I had last night when we had winds of 40mph and gust of 60mph I called the IF rule twice and both times gust of wind got the ball the fielder dropped it and the runners took off getting tagged out. Under these kind of weather conditions are you more likely just to say nothing is routine and not call the IF at all or stay with the basics and if the offensive players dont know better so be it??

Thanks

Don

[Edited by oppool on Apr 7th, 2001 at 10:48 AM]
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Don,

Wind is certainly a factor wrt the IFR, but the intent of the rule remains the same. If you think that the defense can get an easy double play if you don't call the IF, then call it.

The runners in your cases were just dumb, IMO. Since you called the IF, they were not forced to advance and took the chance on their own since the ball was dropped. The fact that they got out is their own fault. Now if you had not called the IF in this situation would the defense have had an easy play for 2 outs? If so, then the IF call was justified.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I live in the High Desert area of Southern California, and it's a rare day when we DON'T have high winds during a game. You just have to go with the circumstances. I was PU in softball game a few years ago when the batter hit a pop-up near the first base dugout. I drifted over with the first baseman toward the ball when a gust of wind came up, and the second baseman made a diving catch ten feet fair. If the wind is moving the ball around every time it goes in the air, consider the level of play and use common sense.

Bob