The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

New Umpire Blues

Okay, what do you do? I was working with a new partner, A 16-year old girl doing only her third game, she had participated in our training earlier in the year (3-hours every Tuesday and Thursday for four weeks). Like most new umpires she is a little timid and very quiet. The play, runners at third and second, two outs. Batter hits a ball to the short stop, R1 heads home, R2 to third, throw to third. Partner makes a very confusing out-safe-out call (all with her hands, there was no vocalization at all). Fans and offence coach go nuts. Play is over head coach is screaming at her, which makes things worse (thanks coach), I give the fans the "look" and they calm down. Everyone, including me, wants to know what is the call.

I go out and talk with my partner, "Okay what did you see?"

"I saw her tagged on the shoulder."

Now I had a very good look at the play and there was no tag on the shoulder, or any where else. "I need you to be sure on this call."

"Yes the ball got there and the third base player tagged her on the shoulder with the ball."

"Okay then that is what you saw that is what we're going to call."

I turn to the coach and make the Out signal, "Runner is out, that is three, run does not score."

Now the coach is really upset, I don't blame him as he is most likely right, his girl was not out. "You got to change that call blue"

Shaking my head, "No sir, I will not change her call."

"Your the head umpire, you can change that call. What did you see?"

"Coach it does not matter what I saw, it is not my call to change. She saw an out and an out is what we have."

"Well my dad has been an umpire for 55 years, and I know that the head umpire can change the call."

"No umpire, not even your dad, will change their partner's call."

He goes on for a few more minutes about how I can change the call ... blagh, blagh, blagh standard boilerplate coach ranting.

"Okay coach, the call is the call, that is it, now lets get back to the game."

He shut up and we finished the game without further incident.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

What can you do? Some umps have what it takes, some don't. This is why most umps don't last more than 3 years.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I think you handled it well. Since this was only her third game ever, you buffered her from the angry coach.

But this brings up a new question for me...at what point do we let the "rookies" fight their own battles with the coaches? Developing this skill is just as important as learning what position to be in for a call and where the strike zone is.

Your thoughts?
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Keep training her. Help her between every inning. That call means nothing, its a moment in time. The main thing is that she learns a lesson about timing and positioning and adjusting to a play as required as it developes and MAKE A CALL.

On the plus side, the fact that she errored on the side of "Out" shows great potential.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I think you handled it well. Since this was only her third game ever, you buffered her from the angry coach.

But this brings up a new question for me...at what point do we let the "rookies" fight their own battles with the coaches? Developing this skill is just as important as learning what position to be in for a call and where the strike zone is.

Your thoughts?
The only part of this that I disagree with is when the veteran announced the call and not the umpire whose call it was. I would have had the conversation go like this:

"Yes the ball got there and the third base player tagged her on the shoulder with the ball."

"Okay then that is what you saw that is what we're going to call... Now I'll step away, and when I do, you face the base, stand up tall and give a good, crisp signal with a solid 'Out!' Ready?"

Having been assigned to a number of rookies over the last number of years... It all depends. Some rookies are naturals and need no covering. Some get the look of a deer in headlights as soon as they see a bang-bang play and the coach wants to talk to them.

The question isn't, "when do I let the rookies handle it?" but rather, "when should I step in?" See if the rookie can handle it first. If the coach gets out of hand, step in.

Look, if you step in right away, you've completely taken away any legitimacy your partner ever had. You're feeding them to the wolves, and you're not doing them any favors. If you step in way late, same thing. You'll know when the time is right to step in.

From the outside looking in, no one should never see you treating your partner as a rookie, and "covering" for them will do exactly that.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 12:40pm. Reason: minor edits
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Imho having 16 yr olds doing games is fine as long as it's a low key in house league type of setting. Once you start assigning them "travel league" ball it can overwhelm a young (even an not so young official ) in too making bad calls due to the pressure that they might be feeling.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Keep training her. Help her between every inning. That call means nothing, its a moment in time. The main thing is that she learns a lesson about timing and positioning and adjusting to a play as required as it developes and MAKE A CALL.

On the plus side, the fact that she errored on the side of "Out" shows great potential.
I'll add to this and say that if you meet between half innings, make sure you meet between EVERY half inning. You don't want to suddenly start meeting between half innings after a call like this.

I prefer to talk with my rookie partners after the game. I don't want to overwhelm them with "work on this" or "look out for that" during a game.

Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I'll add to this and say that if you meet between half innings, make sure you meet between EVERY half inning. You don't want to suddenly start meeting between half innings after a call like this.

I prefer to talk with my rookie partners after the game. I don't want to overwhelm them with "work on this" or "look out for that" during a game.
I like to talk to them just about every inning or I will forget whatever it is they are goofing up.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I like to talk to them just about every inning or I will forget whatever it is they are goofing up.
And that's fine, so long as you do it consistently. I'd hate to have everyone look at my partner and say, "oh, he's just a rookie," you know?

I don't do it every inning, simply because I'd hate to overwhelm them too quickly with feedback. I'd prefer to pick out a few things for them to work on and talk with them after the game.

Just my style, for better or worse.

Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My experience is that they don't remember the situation you want to talk about after the game; strike while the memory is fresh.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:29pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Whenever I've worked with a rookie, I'll get with them each half-inning and ask "any questions?" only if I don't have something for them. Some of the rookies I've worked with will actually high-tail towards me during a half-inning break for feedback, only because they know they need some feedback on something that occurred and want immediate feedback.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN View Post
Imho having 16 yr olds doing games is fine as long as it's a low key in house league type of setting. Once you start assigning them "travel league" ball it can overwhelm a young (even an not so young official ) in too making bad calls due to the pressure that they might be feeling.
On the contrary, our experience in Seattle has been quite the opposite. We do not allow them to umpire their peers. A 16 year old would do 10s, 12s, maybe 14s. We assign them with a trusted veteran. For girls who play ball, we do not interfere with their high school or travel ball seasons -- hence mostly fall ball.

As for pressure: I have been doing this stuff since 1970. I have to take a leak before EVERY game. I can also assure you a crappy umpire will make bad calls whether or not there is "pressure." The best way to get the pressure off them is to get them out there on the freakin diamond and umpire. Get the safe/out/ball/strike thing going and relax. Coach em up. Mentor them. Don't allow people who aren't authorized trainers to do any "training" -- that way you know they are getting the info and feedback they need.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
My experience is that they don't remember the situation you want to talk about after the game; strike while the memory is fresh.
Absolutely! Meet every half inning even if there was nothing wrong. Do not hold back, but do not expect instant adjustments. Prioritize the issues and let them know if something needs to be changed immediately. Otherwise, just throw stuff at them, do not talk down to them, relate stories that make umpires seem human, not supermen making every call correctly.

I will often start the pregame with, "I'm going to throw a lot of stuff at you on the run. Just think about it store that info away in the back of your brain. If you have a question, make that the first thing out of your mouth when we get together."

I will take an extra minute to address something this must be handled immediately. I'd rather tick off a team rather than place an umpire in a position where doing the wrong thing has some idiot in his/her face and I never see them again.

And don't ever, EVER makes excuses to the players or coach. BB, that 16 yo rookie probably got more out of you standing with and for her with that coach than she would have if you tried to talk her out of the call. Good job.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with the above 100%. The only time I dont meet with them or talk with them are when duties like subs take me away or those few mutual "I'll be standing over hear drinking water" between innings breaks.

Other than that, i like to talk with my partners. I dont during nationals or whatever so i dont get dinged but for my own opinion, I have no use for hanging around in the outfield counting clouds between innings. umps should talk, especially with the noobs for training. You only got one friend out there.. talk with em... when allowed.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
And that's fine, so long as you do it consistently. I'd hate to have everyone look at my partner and say, "oh, he's just a rookie," you know?
Thats no worry; any coach worth his/her salt can smell a rookie. I dont worry about such things; its not relevent... just as in Bob's OP, it is what it is. End of story.