The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Partner blues...

Friday, I had a big, cross town rivalry game. I was partnered with one of those 20 year rookie types. During the JV game he was calling strikes or balls before they even crossed the plate. At one point a pitch appeared to have gone right down the middle of the plate about belt high, but he was already standing and had called it a ball before the catcher had caught it.

I am always leery of these types of partners, as they seem to get me off of my game, or more specifically my rythym, because I am always concerned of what might happen. So...needless to say, I wasn't the most comfortable in working the varsity game, but I still feel like I did a decent job on the plate. Yet, I need to find a way to be as comfortable when I am working with these types of partners as I do when I am working with partners I know I can trust to be in position...etc. This is the guy who is always out of position, never hustling, doesn't command a great rules knowledge, would rather fraternize with coaches and fans than focus on the game, and feels the need to be an entertainer when on the field. At one point he was so busy visiting with a first base coach that I had to ask him three times on a potential check swing (see other post I made) before I could get an answer, and that answer was rather ambiguous. There were several other incidents, including the game ending call, that I have issues with, but that is not my question.

My question is, what steps do you take when you are on the field with one of these types to keep your game from joining his in the handbasket? What coping strategies or focusing mechanisms do you use?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

lay down the law ...

wonder why this caliber official was on a big, cross town rivalry game?
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The idea of "find a way to be as comfortable when I am working with these types of partners as I do when I am working with partners I know I can trust " seems unlikely by definition. They will make you (us) uneasy regardless of what we do, because that's what causes us to look for something to change. Best thing is to not change what we do, because then both of us will be off. I generally try to ignore their mistakes and add effort to covering their weaknesses.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post

My question is, what steps do you take when you are on the field with one of these types to keep your game from joining his in the handbasket? What coping strategies or focusing mechanisms do you use?
Put on the big red nose, orange wig, spread a ****load of grease paint on your face, don the size 32 floppy shoes and join the circus and hope no one recognizes you.

Actually, there isn't much you can do with these folks other than block them.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
...other than block them.
That assumes you have that ability.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
lay down the law ...

wonder why this caliber official was on a big, cross town rivalry game?
I wondered the same thing. It was a last minute change (like a few days before). He may have been the only available one left at that point.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 06:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Get in.
Get done.
Get out.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
That assumes you have that ability.
That's right...we can't block out games or partners up here, so SRW has to carry my sorry lazy @$$ for a pretty big game next week.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
That's right...we can't block out games or partners up here, so SRW has to carry my sorry lazy @$$ for a pretty big game next week.
And vice versa!
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wondered the same thing. It was a last minute change (like a few days before). He may have been the only available one left at that point.
The only guy without a game that day, and he does the things you described. Coincidence?

Quote:
This is the guy who is always out of position, never hustling, doesn't command a great rules knowledge, would rather fraternize with coaches and fans than focus on the game, and feels the need to be an entertainer when on the field.
Seriously, one of the things I always work hard on is not just being a good umpire, but a good partner. I would at least like to think that I am. I honestly don't think I'm guilty of any of these, but if I were I hope an umpire I trust and respect would let me know so I could fix it.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Had mine today working NFHS Freshman game. Home team pitchers were pretty bad. We only finally got out of the top of the first inning because the defense managed to record 2 outs at HP on wild pitches.

My partner showed up wearing ASA cap, shirt, and jacket, which is supposed to be a no-no for NFHS games. He didn't like that the teams hadn't taken infield yet [about 20 minutes prior to game time], wasn't pleased with how the coaches were managing the girls, or the talent level of the players, or that the catchers kept trying to trap runners off third base.

At one point, DC asks for time to discuss possible batting out of order. We approach the OC and check their book. This is the first batter of the inning. We're checking to see who the last batter was from previous inning. My pudna swoops in claiming that everything is OK because a pitch has already been thrown. It took me a couple of trys to get through to him that that didn't matter because it was the first batter of the inning. Turned out to be the correct batter, but if it wasn't, the correct batter could have simply come to bat and assumed the count.

With a runner on 3B, a WP plated the run. No other baserunners and I look up and he's still out at "C". I called time and walked out partway [apparently he's a bit hard of hearing] and told him there were no baserunners. So his bulb lights up dimly because when I got back behind the plate, he's now over in "B". We played on. After the inning, he claims he's just going to stay in "B" because there's too many baserunners [many on walks or hit batters].

We're close to a mercy game in the 5th, but home team scores a few to prolong. At the end of the 6th, he walks in from "C" and kicks the ball from the circle to the home dugout. I'm not convinced we're done. He claims that that was the 7th inning. I persist and check the score book and find we're only in the 6th. But he then claims that the run differential is in place. We're still not on the same page since there's a discrepancy between the books. As we're sorting through that, he's putting on his jacket and says he has to leave for another game. Tells us that the home team book is official [they have 12 run differential, and it looked like the visitors had 11 run differential]. And he proceeds to start walking out.

I'm over with the 2 coaches and their scorekeepers when they decided that enough was enough and they'd forego the last inning no matter the differential.

Home coach was not pleased. I got my game check, but no one went running after this guy to see that he got his.

Before the game he told me he was working the game as a favor to [insert higher UIC-type official name here], but I'd seen his name as my partner for over a month on the Arbiter. And that he ran a league and this guy worked for him on occasion. And that he was often asked to work with newbies.

Well, the game was a tough one, and I've had some like that before. But with him there it was just downright unpleasant.

Had one humorous moment. During one of those traps off third base where the runner tries to get the catcher to throw the ball and then runner takes off for home, the throw from F5 bonked the runner off the helmet and headed over to the dugout and another runner advanced another base. Time called, DC [varsity coach subbing for Freshman coach] coach comes out and asks if the runner was running in fair or foul territory. I said it didn't really matter, that she was in her "base path" and it wasn't like she was running to first base. Epiphanized, [yeah, made that up] the coach smiles and says, "Right, OK good. We never had this conversation." and walked back to the dugout.

Ted
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

What is the general rule of thumb (I have heard different, from different UICs) ASA mechanics. I am PU. No runners on. Batted ball BR going for 2nd. Slides in to 2nd and is stooped by the fielders foot. Fielder does not have the ball. Easy OBS, but my partner does not call it.

Question: Do you as the PU call this or do you let the OC talk to the BU and if he/she ask for help you tell him/her what you had? Like I said, I have heard it both ways from UICs at 16U and 18U tournaments.

Is this one of those find out what the UIC wants type of mechanics?
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Cecil and Mick both have the right idea about working with this type of partner.You simply have to prepare yourself mentally for who your working with and not let them throw you off your game.

We've all experienced this (some of us more than others)...you could pre-game until the cows come home with these guys and they generally just nod and just yes you to death as it goes in one ear and out the other. I mean the game starts and forget about wether they're correctly in B or C...these guys have their own alphabet when it comes to proper position.

Working a lot of adult SP as I do, what worries me about working with these type of umps, is that their incompetence, stubborness, lack of rules knowledge, etc. always seems to causes the s**t to hit the fan when they get involved in a situation.

I'm with one of these guys the other night. ASA Men's SP...rec league. He's got the P, (we're playing under a league 5HR limit rule), s**t hits the fan when he allows a team a 6th HR, (3 run shot BTW), because he said that one of the first 5 HR's had hit off the F7's glove as he leaped above the fence line trying to make the catch....he says.."that's an error, hence it's does not count as a HR." I came in from my position as I saw him getting tripled teamed in the ensuing argument, not having any idea at the time what the hell the arugment was about. As I'm getting the two guys who shouldn't be there away from him, I hear what he's telling the HC... and I can't believe what I'm hearing. I calm down the HC, partner and I get off to side, we review the sitch., I try to point out that he's not correct on this, I'm advised by my partner that he doesn't need my help he knows what is and isn't a HR.
OK partner, I'm going back out to my position....I get there just in time to hear the HC tell PU he's protesting the game.

I'd rather work alone. Then the only umpire I have to worry about is me.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post

I'm with one of these guys the other night. ASA Men's SP...rec league. He's got the P, (we're playing under a league 5HR limit rule), s**t hits the fan when he allows a team a 6th HR, (3 run shot BTW), because he said that one of the first 5 HR's had hit off the F7's glove as he leaped above the fence line trying to make the catch....he says.."that's an error, hence it's does not count as a HR." I came in from my position as I saw him getting tripled teamed in the ensuing argument, not having any idea at the time what the hell the arugment was about. As I'm getting the two guys who shouldn't be there away from him, I hear what he's telling the HC... and I can't believe what I'm hearing. I calm down the HC, partner and I get off to side, we review the sitch., I try to point out that he's not correct on this, I'm advised by my partner that he doesn't need my help he knows what is and isn't a HR.
OK partner, I'm going back out to my position....I get there just in time to hear the HC tell PU he's protesting the game.

I'd rather work alone. Then the only umpire I have to worry about is me.

Bad news. If you were working alone, you would have been wrong all by yourself.

I really don't care whether ruled an error or not, but your partner is right as far as counting against the HR total. Check page 58 of this years book, rule 8.8.A.Note.a

If the defense touches a fair fly ball that clears the fence, it IS a four-base award. And, no, it doesn't matter that the ball would have cleared or was already over the fence.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat May 09, 2009 at 09:08pm.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
What is the general rule of thumb (I have heard different, from different UICs) ASA mechanics. I am PU. No runners on. Batted ball BR going for 2nd. Slides in to 2nd and is stooped by the fielders foot. Fielder does not have the ball. Easy OBS, but my partner does not call it.

Question: Do you as the PU call this or do you let the OC talk to the BU and if he/she ask for help you tell him/her what you had? Like I said, I have heard it both ways from UICs at 16U and 18U tournaments.

Is this one of those find out what the UIC wants type of mechanics?
BU is on top of play , right in front of him, no other responsability?
PU about 75' away?

No way I'm butting in until BU asks.