The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Obstruction

Once again, I don't agree with my UIC's opinion of my call in a post-game conversation. So I come to you for the final word, for good or bad...

F4 hurries the throw & fires to F3 for the putout at 1b. Errant throw a little down 1b line (towards home), F3 misses the throw. Ball already hits the fence by the time BR reaches 1B. Contact made between BR & F3, BR goes around outside edge of 1B & reaches foot in to touch base before heading to 2B.

No stop at 1B, no doubt in my mind she intended 2B from the get-go.

Bang-bang at 2B, dead ball, I protect her to 2B, as she would have been safe by a mile without the contact at 1B.

I thought it was a no-brainer, as F3 had her chance for the out if she came off the base to make the catch & put the tag on BR.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Once again, I don't agree with my UIC's opinion of my call in a post-game conversation. So I come to you for the final word, for good or bad...

F4 hurries the throw & fires to F3 for the putout at 1b. Errant throw a little down 1b line (towards home), F3 misses the throw. Ball already hits the fence by the time BR reaches 1B. Contact made between BR & F3, BR goes around outside edge of 1B & reaches foot in to touch base before heading to 2B.

No stop at 1B, no doubt in my mind she intended 2B from the get-go.

Bang-bang at 2B, dead ball, I protect her to 2B, as she would have been safe by a mile without the contact at 1B.

I thought it was a no-brainer, as F3 had her chance for the out if she came off the base to make the catch & put the tag on BR.
The case looks like OBS, but thesequence of events in your description is a bit confusing. Was F3 "down the line" trying for the throw or still at the base keeping BR from open access?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

What was your UIC's reasoning? Sounds like a good call to me.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Cecil,
F3 didn't lose contact with the base in order to make the catch, so she was on the bag when the BR got there. F2 retrieved the ball and made the throw to 2B.

Dakota,
UIC was protecting her to 1B, since it happened between Home & 1B; if she was out by a mile at 2B, I still would have protected her back to 1B.

Thanks for the replies guys
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...UIC was protecting her to 1B, since it happened between Home & 1B;
But that is irrelevant if, in your judgment, she would have made 2B without the obstruction.
Quote:
...if she was out by a mile at 2B, I still would have protected her back to 1B.

Thanks for the replies guys
If the obs happened between home and 1B, and she proceeds beyond 1B, she is only protected if you judged she would have made 2B without the obs. If she is tagged out at 2B, you cannot return her to 1B. It is either 2B or the out stands.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Excellent point, but it's occurring ON 1B, so is that still considered between Home & 1B.

I was equating this to F3 watching a fly ball in left field while standing on 1B, in my conversation with UIC. In that case, is it still considered between Home & 1B?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

My edit didn't take...

It was UIC's opinion that it was between Home & 1B.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Excellent point, but it's occurring ON 1B, so is that still considered between Home & 1B.
You clearly stated that the BR took an outside route to avoid F3 and then touched 1B. By rule, the runner is protected between the bases (with few exceptions which do not apply here) where the OBS occurred.

You have every right to protect the runner to 2B. However, if you place a runner back to a base which they passed, you have misapplied the rule.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You have every right to protect the runner to 2B. However, if you place a runner back to a base which they passed, you have misapplied the rule.
Just to clarify, that means that if you place a runner back to a base they passed **after the obstruction**, you have misapplied the rule.
________
Cannabis seeds

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:00pm.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Just to clarify, that means that if you place a runner back to a base they passed **after the obstruction**, you have misapplied the rule.
Considering the context of the thread, I thought that would be obvious, but the answer is yes.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Fortunately, events allowed me to apply the rule correctly, and the misapplication won't happen in the future on my watch.
Thanks all.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Coach got pretty lucky if he was coaching your DDB signal and not his runner, thats for sure.