The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Went to our local preseason meeting last night and didn't get much of an answer to this question. Will the new ASA possession of the ball stipulation for blocking a base have any bearing on how Fed games will be called this year? Fed still uses about to receive in their text. I asked our Fed interpreter but he dismissed my question with a "no one will no the difference" comment and then moved on to other "important" business. I do both ASA and Fed and am wondering if anyone else might see a potential problem keeping the two straight. Any other organization mention this at all?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Little Jimmy,

Since FED did not change it, think I would call it
by their interpretation. Several other associations
did not go with ASA as of yet. Catch a rule wise FED
coach and they would have valid reason for protest.
When in Rome, do as the Romans prescribe.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
Went to our local preseason meeting last night and didn't get much of an answer to this question. Will the new ASA possession of the ball stipulation for blocking a base have any bearing on how Fed games will be called this year? Fed still uses about to receive in their text. I asked our Fed interpreter but he dismissed my question with a "no one will no the difference" comment and then moved on to other "important" business. I do both ASA and Fed and am wondering if anyone else might see a potential problem keeping the two straight. Any other organization mention this at all?
A few years back at a Regional ASA Umpire Clinic, the clinian hosting the break-out on pitching was asked: "Our local leagues use ASA rules for everything, but pitching. They use USSSA rules for that. When are you going to cover U-trip pitching rules?"

The clinician just noted the ASA on his shirt and continued with covering ASA pitching rules.

Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS and USSSA still have the "about to recieve" wording in the rule. However, I don't think that this will present much of a problem in keeping them straight, for the simple reason that glen has already noted.

Just remember, as a rule of thumb, in ASA, the fielder needs to be in possession of the ball. In all others, the ball needs to be between the runner and the fielder.

I have a sneaking suspicion that next year, this discussion will be moot! There is already talk in the USSSA camp that there will be a wording change next year.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

To my knowledge (which just includes the last couple of years for NFHS), Fed has never used the "ball closer to the fielder than the runner" to officially interpret "about to receive." (At least, I've never seen it in writing.)

It is what I used for Fed games, since I was used to the ASA way and Fed had no contrary explanation.

If Fed has not changed to the international rule, then you should still call it their way.

Those with more Fed experience than I can perhaps shed some light on how Fed clinicians have interpreted the "about to receive" language in the past.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

NFHS 2002/2003 Umpires Manual, page 47.

"Obstruction is the act of a fielder who is in the base path without the ball, and is not attempting to field a batted ball or about to receive a thrown ball, and who impedes the progress of a runner. A general rule of thumb, on "about to receive a thrown ball philosophies," is that when the ball is beween the runner and the fielder catching it, the fielder is "about to receive it."

So - an NHFS umpire can use his own judgement of about to receive, or he can use the offered "rule of thumb" interpretation.

If he uses the "rule of thumb" then 99.99999% of the time he negates "about to receive." Thus obstruction becomes "the act of a fielder who is in the base path without the ball."

IMO (as you well know, Dakota!) there never has been "about to receive" as long as that "closer to fielder" interpretation has been around. All ASA did was clean up the language and officially get rid of "about to receive" in 2004. I assume that NFHS and others will follow in 2005.

WMB
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I guess I was just so glad to see ASA clear up the wording that I was hoping the locals might use that interpretation for Fed this year. Your right, call what your organization says untill they don't say it anymore ("dance with the one that brung ya").
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

"Obstruction is the act of a fielder who is in the base path without the ball, and is not attempting to field a batted ball or about to receive a thrown ball, and who impedes the progress of a runner. A general rule of thumb, on "about to receive a thrown ball philosophies," is that when the ball is beween the runner and the fielder catching it, the fielder is "about to receive it."
So - an NHFS umpire can use his own judgement of about to receive, or he can use the offered "rule of thumb" interpretation.
I know I'm going straight to hell for bringing the "other game" into this discussion, but only doing so for demonstrative purposes.

The only problem I would have with that is the baseball application to a softball rule. Remember, a lot of the Fed softball rules were drawn from the baseball side of Fed. Every little ball umpire I've had this discussion with insist that the defender is about to receive the ball once their teammate has released the throw in their direction, not when it gets between the runner and fielder.

Quote:

IMO (as you well know, Dakota!) there never has been "about to receive" as long as that "closer to fielder" interpretation has been around. All ASA did was clean up the language and officially get rid of "about to receive" in 2004. I assume that NFHS and others will follow in 2005.
Say what!? The "about to receive" has been in ASA for as long as I've been working softball and I never had a problem with it. The "ball closer to the fielder than the runner" was basically introduced because too many could not grasp the geometric dynamics of the situation if the ball and the runner were not coming from the same direction. All ASA did was align themselves with the international rule and it didn't happen overnight. It had nothing to do with the wording and everything to do with safety.

Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I know I'm going straight to hell for bringing the "other game" into this discussion, but only doing so for demonstrative purposes.

The only problem I would have with that is the baseball application to a softball rule. Remember, a lot of the Fed softball rules were drawn from the baseball side of Fed. Every little ball umpire I've had this discussion with insist that the defender is about to receive the ball once their teammate has released the throw in their direction, not when it gets between the runner and fielder.

Quote:

Say what!? The "about to receive" has been in ASA for as long as I've been working softball and I never had a problem with it. The "ball closer to the fielder than the runner" was basically introduced because too many could not grasp the geometric dynamics of the situation if the ball and the runner were not coming from the same direction. All ASA did was aline themselves with the international rule and it didn't happen overnight. It had nothing to do with the wording and everything to do with safety.

Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

"Say what!? The "about to receive" has been in ASA for as long as I've been working softball and I never had a problem with it."

Nor have I. I always felt comfortable making an "about to receive" judgment. What I have always objected to is replacing my judgment with an interpretation (ball is closer), a physics theorem, which is indefensible under the cold light of common sense and logic.

And you, Mike, are on record on this forum as stating that, "when the ball is closer," that it will reach the defender before the runner 99.99999999999999% of the time. Thus the defender has the ball - no "about to receive."

So if "about to receive" basically does not exist, then why not just get rid of it totally. And I applaud ASA for following the ISF rule, and I believe that NFHS will follow in 2005. It definitely should clean up the game, and yes, make it safer.

WMB
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And you, Mike, are on record on this forum as stating that, "when the ball is closer," that it will reach the defender before the runner 99.99999999999999% of the time. Thus the defender has the ball - no "about to receive."

So if "about to receive" basically does not exist, then why not just get rid of it totally.
Because the fielder is "about to receive" or the ball is "closer to the fielder" is not even in the same ball park as a fielder "not in possession of the ball."

The previous rule allowed the fielder to move into the basepath as the ball approached. Much like the retired runner between bases, we can not expect the fielder to just go "poof" and disappear the moment they muff the attempt to catch the ball or miss it all together.

The new rule changes the mechanics of the fielder in their attempt to retire a runner via a tag out. The new rule attempts to push the fielder out of way and give the runner a clear base path unless that fielder actually gains possession of the ball prior to moving into the runner's path.

This will alleviate many dangerous collisions and not so much because of the change, but because the change is drastic to the point that coaches have been forced to realize that there is no longer a grey area and they are more likely to lose an out and risk player injury for no good reason. Please don't read that as condoning the risk of injury for an out, I do not. However, we have all seen coaches teach kids to drop to their knee an block a sliding runner without the ball hoping to get the ball and the call.