LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

ESPN Softball Article

Read this article

Life of Reilly: The softball coach with no heart - ESPN
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

sounds like something a coach would do to me. although I thought It was warnable on the first offense...but I could be wrong.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4 View Post
The author is just as stupid as those of which he speaks along with both coaches and players.

Shame on the umpires for not knowing the rule. Shame on the Rochester coach for abusing what little, inaccurate knowledge she has.

The problem is you just cannot ignore rules for "feel good" reasons. And it isn't because I believe in the Grinch, but because it becomes extremely difficult to draw that "good hearted" line.

Most umpires are aware that no good deed goes unpunished. Want to get into a jam? Work your games and try to be Mr. Niceguy. It will be appreciated until about the 5th inning.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The author is just as stupid as those of which he speaks along with both coaches and players.

Shame on the umpires for not knowing the rule. Shame on the Rochester coach for abusing what little, inaccurate knowledge she has.

The problem is you just cannot ignore rules for "feel good" reasons. And it isn't because I believe in the Grinch, but because it becomes extremely difficult to draw that "good hearted" line.

Most umpires are aware that no good deed goes unpunished. Want to get into a jam? Work your games and try to be Mr. Niceguy. It will be appreciated until about the 5th inning.
Its good to know that I was correct then. I do whole heartedly agree with the mr.niceguy thing too. working with guys like that gets people in TROUBLE

Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

yep... niceguy = trouble. Working Rec League All Star tournament as the BU. My partner saw the Pitcher go way out of the lane. Instead of calling illegal pitch he grabbed the bat from the batter, took it out to the circle and drew a line and explained that next week at districts they will call you on going outside the lane.

The OC coach called time went and talked to the PU and asked why he didn't call IP. It was a 3-1 count runner on 2nd, and he call a strike on the pitch. The coach (rightfully so, demanded the IP be called and the awards given. My partner who is known to BS with the fan too much said no and the coach protested. I was the senior official on site and told my partner the OC was right and make the awards.

Last edited by vcblue; Tue Jun 23, 2009 at 03:03pm.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
yep... niceguy = trouble. Working Rec League All Star tournament as the BU. My partner saw the Pitcher go way out of the lane. Instead of calling illegal pitch he grabbed the bat from the batter, took it out to the circle and drew a line and explained that next week at districts they will call you on going outside the lane.

The OC coach called time went and talked to the PU and asked why he didn't call IP. It was a 3-1 count runner on 2nd, and he call a strike on the pitch. The coach (rightfully so, demanded the IP be called and the awards given. My partner who is known to BS with the fan too much said no and the coach protested. I was the senior official on site and told my partner the OC coach was right and make the awards.
Agreed - that's what you do in a scrimmage, not a game.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Ive found more often than not if you call it then explain whats happened they learn rather than telling them. baptisim by fire BABY!!!!

Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I believe we have discussed this one before.
Blue should know the rules.
I noticed in the WCWS that anytime a ball was parked, the team gathered around home and did not touch the runner until she jumped on home. Then they celebrated and ran back to the dugout. I think this rule is a fairly well known rule.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
I believe we have discussed this one before.
Blue should know the rules.
I noticed in the WCWS that anytime a ball was parked, the team gathered around home and did not touch the runner until she jumped on home. Then they celebrated and ran back to the dugout. I think this rule is a fairly well known rule.
Yes, but it's possible the umpire may have confused rulesets together. ASA has no such warning if a coach physically assisted a runner.

Even if that's the case, that's no excuse. If you're calling a ruleset, you're calling that ruleset. Know it, apply it. Period.

There's a reason why I only call ASA. I only want to call one ruleset and know it as well as possible.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

But let's be equally clear; ASA doesn't have a warning, but ASA also doesn't consider it a violation of "physically assisting a runner" if coaches or players "high-five" or otherwise congratulate a player that has hit a home run over the fence (running the bases during a dead ball).

The only reason it is a warning in NCAA is the "coaches wrote the rulebook" response; not because anyone ever considered it assisting a runner.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
But let's be equally clear; ASA doesn't have a warning, but ASA also doesn't consider it a violation of "physically assisting a runner" if coaches or players "high-five" or otherwise congratulate a player that has hit a home run over the fence (running the bases during a dead ball).

The only reason it is a warning in NCAA is the "coaches wrote the rulebook" response; not because anyone ever considered it assisting a runner.
Absolutely, Steve. That's why I made sure I wrote "physically assisted" and not "touched."

Simply touching a runner is NOT an out in ASA. A runner who is physically assisted by an offensive team member other than another runner is out (ASA 8-7-E). A high-five, in my opinion, is not physically assisting a runner, especially on an over-the-fence homerun.

Physically congratulating, yes. Physically assisting, no.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

We had a somewhat similar incident in our county championship game. Girl hit a HR over the fence in a tie game. BR between 3B and Home removed her helmet then touched the plate. DC wanted umps to call her out. Protest ensued and ruling was that removing helmet was a safety rule during live ball situations. Since this was a dead ball HR counts.

What do you guys think?
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig View Post
We had a somewhat similar incident in our county championship game. Girl hit a HR over the fence in a tie game. BR between 3B and Home removed her helmet then touched the plate. DC wanted umps to call her out. Protest ensued and ruling was that removing helmet was a safety rule during live ball situations. Since this was a dead ball HR counts.

What do you guys think?
Even in NFHS, first team violation is a warning.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Nothing. Home run counts.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Dead Ball
Run Counts

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"