The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ESPN Softball Article (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53726-espn-softball-article.html)

strike4 Tue Jun 23, 2009 08:07am

ESPN Softball Article

Read this article

Life of Reilly: The softball coach with no heart - ESPN

kcg NC2Ablu Tue Jun 23, 2009 08:57am

sounds like something a coach would do to me. although I thought It was warnable on the first offense...but I could be wrong.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 610320)

The author is just as stupid as those of which he speaks along with both coaches and players.

Shame on the umpires for not knowing the rule. Shame on the Rochester coach for abusing what little, inaccurate knowledge she has.

The problem is you just cannot ignore rules for "feel good" reasons. And it isn't because I believe in the Grinch, but because it becomes extremely difficult to draw that "good hearted" line.

Most umpires are aware that no good deed goes unpunished. Want to get into a jam? Work your games and try to be Mr. Niceguy. It will be appreciated until about the 5th inning.

kcg NC2Ablu Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 610348)
The author is just as stupid as those of which he speaks along with both coaches and players.

Shame on the umpires for not knowing the rule. Shame on the Rochester coach for abusing what little, inaccurate knowledge she has.

The problem is you just cannot ignore rules for "feel good" reasons. And it isn't because I believe in the Grinch, but because it becomes extremely difficult to draw that "good hearted" line.

Most umpires are aware that no good deed goes unpunished. Want to get into a jam? Work your games and try to be Mr. Niceguy. It will be appreciated until about the 5th inning.

Its good to know that I was correct then. I do whole heartedly agree with the mr.niceguy thing too. working with guys like that gets people in TROUBLE

vcblue Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:28pm

yep... niceguy = trouble. Working Rec League All Star tournament as the BU. My partner saw the Pitcher go way out of the lane. Instead of calling illegal pitch he grabbed the bat from the batter, took it out to the circle and drew a line and explained that next week at districts they will call you on going outside the lane.

The OC coach called time went and talked to the PU and asked why he didn't call IP. It was a 3-1 count runner on 2nd, and he call a strike on the pitch. The coach (rightfully so, demanded the IP be called and the awards given. My partner who is known to BS with the fan too much said no and the coach protested. I was the senior official on site and told my partner the OC was right and make the awards.

Steve M Tue Jun 23, 2009 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcblue (Post 610370)
yep... niceguy = trouble. Working Rec League All Star tournament as the BU. My partner saw the Pitcher go way out of the lane. Instead of calling illegal pitch he grabbed the bat from the batter, took it out to the circle and drew a line and explained that next week at districts they will call you on going outside the lane.

The OC coach called time went and talked to the PU and asked why he didn't call IP. It was a 3-1 count runner on 2nd, and he call a strike on the pitch. The coach (rightfully so, demanded the IP be called and the awards given. My partner who is known to BS with the fan too much said no and the coach protested. I was the senior official on site and told my partner the OC coach was right and make the awards.

Agreed - that's what you do in a scrimmage, not a game.

kcg NC2Ablu Wed Jun 24, 2009 08:25am

Ive found more often than not if you call it then explain whats happened they learn rather than telling them. baptisim by fire BABY!!!!

tcblue13 Wed Jun 24, 2009 02:00pm

I believe we have discussed this one before.
Blue should know the rules.
I noticed in the WCWS that anytime a ball was parked, the team gathered around home and did not touch the runner until she jumped on home. Then they celebrated and ran back to the dugout. I think this rule is a fairly well known rule.

NCASAUmp Wed Jun 24, 2009 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcblue13 (Post 610606)
I believe we have discussed this one before.
Blue should know the rules.
I noticed in the WCWS that anytime a ball was parked, the team gathered around home and did not touch the runner until she jumped on home. Then they celebrated and ran back to the dugout. I think this rule is a fairly well known rule.

Yes, but it's possible the umpire may have confused rulesets together. ASA has no such warning if a coach physically assisted a runner.

Even if that's the case, that's no excuse. If you're calling a ruleset, you're calling that ruleset. Know it, apply it. Period.

There's a reason why I only call ASA. I only want to call one ruleset and know it as well as possible.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Jun 24, 2009 02:50pm

But let's be equally clear; ASA doesn't have a warning, but ASA also doesn't consider it a violation of "physically assisting a runner" if coaches or players "high-five" or otherwise congratulate a player that has hit a home run over the fence (running the bases during a dead ball).

The only reason it is a warning in NCAA is the "coaches wrote the rulebook" response; not because anyone ever considered it assisting a runner.

NCASAUmp Wed Jun 24, 2009 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 610618)
But let's be equally clear; ASA doesn't have a warning, but ASA also doesn't consider it a violation of "physically assisting a runner" if coaches or players "high-five" or otherwise congratulate a player that has hit a home run over the fence (running the bases during a dead ball).

The only reason it is a warning in NCAA is the "coaches wrote the rulebook" response; not because anyone ever considered it assisting a runner.

Absolutely, Steve. That's why I made sure I wrote "physically assisted" and not "touched."

Simply touching a runner is NOT an out in ASA. A runner who is physically assisted by an offensive team member other than another runner is out (ASA 8-7-E). A high-five, in my opinion, is not physically assisting a runner, especially on an over-the-fence homerun.

Physically congratulating, yes. Physically assisting, no. :)

bigsig Wed Jun 24, 2009 07:18pm

We had a somewhat similar incident in our county championship game. Girl hit a HR over the fence in a tie game. BR between 3B and Home removed her helmet then touched the plate. DC wanted umps to call her out. Protest ensued and ruling was that removing helmet was a safety rule during live ball situations. Since this was a dead ball HR counts.

What do you guys think?

argodad Wed Jun 24, 2009 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsig (Post 610649)
We had a somewhat similar incident in our county championship game. Girl hit a HR over the fence in a tie game. BR between 3B and Home removed her helmet then touched the plate. DC wanted umps to call her out. Protest ensued and ruling was that removing helmet was a safety rule during live ball situations. Since this was a dead ball HR counts.

What do you guys think?

Even in NFHS, first team violation is a warning.

ronald Wed Jun 24, 2009 09:25pm

Quote:

What do you guys think?

Nothing. Home run counts.

tcblue13 Thu Jun 25, 2009 01:15am

Quote:

What do you guys think?

Dead Ball
Run Counts