Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Ronald,

What was the instructor/umpire ratio? How was that phone in the stadium?
The ratio was 7.5 to 1. I did not get to work on the stadium field. I saw someone try to use the phone but do not know if it was working. Another ump said it was not.

I have company so will get back to you on the other points.

Ron

Last edited by ronald; Fri Jun 19, 2009 at 07:26pm. Reason: bad math
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Found this via the other thread
ASA Softball's Photos - 2009 Advanced Umpire Fast Pitch Clinc | Facebook
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Looking at the photos, 2 of our umps went. I had thought only 1 had gone. We represent yo!
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

I am the ump at the plate in pic row 1 column 5, ie all the way to the right.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
I am the ump at the plate in pic row 1 column 5, ie all the way to the right.
Oh yeah, that IS you! Funny, I saw these pics before, and I didn't catch that...

Glad to hear you went, man! It's a great way to move up the ranks.

I also have a picture of you from the NUS on Day 2. It's from the plate drills, and you were the runner.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ronald,

So, how did you like the camp? Was it what you expected? Do you think you gained anything from it?
Overall, I enjoyed the camp, instructors and fellow umps. For me, the best part was the attitude and availability of the instructors. They made it a point to tell us they were there for us and to ask questions and gain as much info and wisdom from them. They surpassed that standard IMO and I took advantage to talk with them about mechanics or softball. Malcolm Boyles is passionate about softball and umpiring and enjoys discussing it and you often saw him talking about some topic related to softball with a small group of umpires. The staff realized that changes need to be made to parts of the first 2 days. A pertinent example concerns the DVD. Most umps had already seen it and so that could have been skipped.

We received a schedule of the events for the 2 days of instruction so we knew what to expect. So those expectations were met but there was a couple of little things I had not heard before. For example, no need for a strong sell hammer on every strike. The verbal is the sell. Do a hammer like Keith Kerney and you nailed it. On the third stike, Julie likes you to look at the area where the ball was caught, and after the punch out or bow out, make sure you square up again. Kevin and Julie thoroughly covered plate mechanics, stance/timing/tracking/set up, etc. I had hoped for a deeper discussion and guidance concerning interference/obstruction and things to look for to assist in calling this.

I gained a better appreciation and understanding for the staff who dedicate their time to improving umpires. I had been to the National School earlier and given the number of students, the staff was overwhelmed with everything they were trying to accomplish. It was much easier to see and sense how the staff enjoys teaching and assisting umps in a smaller group.
They are more relaxed and energized. 75-100 students is way too many, unless you get 10 or so NUS there.

The fields at the complex are set down from the stands. This allows those who want to study umpiring a perfect view to see plays develop and how umps move. There were some who thought it was impossible to go in on a hit to right field. I saw a couple of instances where an ump did it and a couple where they did not. It is possible. I can put that in my experience and be assured that I can get in when the play happens. I used to do it automatically and will have to retrain myself on that one.

That's enough writing

Ron
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Well this weekend both of the attendees from are area were at the same tourney as me and I worked several games with one of them. He gave me several pointers. Tweeking things such as one step to get set, knee is one fist back from the catch etc. It was good to work with them with this clinic so fresh in their mind. I was able to fine tune myself a little I think. Some other things -

Had two elite FP umps there as well and both were suprised at the strictness of no calling form the out side on a ball hit to FP - both were Merle FP advanced camps and had different takes but definately listened to them so they learned what NUS is wanting taught so we can all pass this info on to the other umpires..
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Well this weekend both of the attendees from are area were at the same tourney as me and I worked several games with one of them. He gave me several pointers. Tweeking things such as one step to get set, knee is one fist back from the catch etc. It was good to work with them with this clinic so fresh in their mind. I was able to fine tune myself a little I think. Some other things -

Had two elite FP umps there as well and both were suprised at the strictness of no calling form the out side on a ball hit to FP - both were Merle FP advanced camps and had different takes but definately listened to them so they learned what NUS is wanting taught so we can all pass this info on to the other umpires..
Wade,

Did they tell you about how to set up based on the arch of the catcher's foot?
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Wade,

Did they tell you about how to set up based on the arch of the catcher's foot?
Yes, because it was the assoc championship and 1 game on 1 game off, we set up a little mini clinic and they ran through the entire set up it between a few of the games. Good stuff.

Not that I agree with everything, but when it comes down to performance, I do the mechanics to the best of my ability and want to do it right. .. then I come here and whine.

They also took a little heat when ever anything happened on the field.. like "they teach you that at advanced camp.. "
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post

More detail, please:
"one step to get set, knee is one fist back from the catch "
"no calling form the out side on a ball hit to FP"
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Please, I'm curious as well. BTW you'd think that ASA would consider selling a packet with a DVD of highlights as well as presentations of the weekend. I'd buy it.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Was able to debrief some over the past weekend and got it in two languages, American and Canadian.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtotheB View Post
Please, I'm curious as well. BTW you'd think that ASA would consider selling a packet with a DVD of highlights as well as presentations of the weekend. I'd buy it.
Unfortunately, this would probably damage the camp.

As with things like the mechanics DVD, this board and a few other resources, too many umpires would sit back and figure they have it covered instead of attending the appropriate clinics, schools and camps.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, this would probably damage the camp.

As with things like the mechanics DVD, this board and a few other resources, too many umpires would sit back and figure they have it covered instead of attending the appropriate clinics, schools and camps.
I don't buy it (No pun intended) . The umpires that want the knowledge and instruction will still get it. If ASA's intentions are altruistic then they would want to get this knowledge out to as many umpires as possible.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtotheB View Post
I don't buy it (No pun intended) . The umpires that want the knowledge and instruction will still get it. If ASA's intentions are altruistic then they would want to get this knowledge out to as many umpires as possible.
That is why there are clinics and schools. The information is already there, you just need to go get it.