The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but why is it inappropriate?
You can't be that "out of it" or ignorant as you say....

In the politically correct invironment we choose to be involved with..it is an extremely offensive term to some coaches and players. Maybe not to you....but to them!!

Just like "rubber" was...and is now refered to as pitchers plate or pitching plate...simple enough.

We can work the mens game and their political correctness (what they are offended by) is different than a female game and their political correctness (what they are offended by)..the question is... are either more correct than the other?

I agree with Rachel...it's inapropriate verbage in the female game.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthegame View Post

In the politically correct invironment we choose to be involved with..it is an extremely offensive term to some coaches and players. Maybe not to you....but to them!!

Just like "rubber" was...and is now refered to as pitchers plate or pitching plate...simple enough.

We can work the mens game and their political correctness (what they are offended by) is different than a female game and their political correctness (what they are offended by)..the question is... are either more correct than the other?

I had no idea what it meant until I googled it. But the meaning that disturbs some is endemic to a discrete linguistic and social subculture. And until the wider linguistic community socially ostracizes those who use the verb rim within its current and most understood etymological boundaries, I can only politely respond--take a hike.

In the context of softball, the context is absolutely clear and making the verb into a gerund is a function of our linguistic box. Language evolves and you ain't telling me what it means. No sexual context is implied. In my Alice in the Wonderland, the word means exactly what I say it does.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthegame View Post

Maybe be your environment, it isn't mine. If you find it offensive, that is your option, one that I do not care to share. I've more important things to worry about in life.

Quote:
Again, your environment. Never thought much about it, but as part of the rules I learned and have referred to it as the pitcher's plate since I started umpiring in 1966. In the 1936 version of the "Softball Official Rules" publication, it is defined on page three as the Pitcher's Plate. So, if you find that phrase "rubber" as offensive, it is something that you and those with whom you associate were using, not those who love the game. Yet, if you listen to those who announce softball games including females, they will occasionally refer the PP as the rubber as a matter of simple reference. I do not.

Quote:

I don't care if the participants are male, female or pink transexuals with purple polka dots, it is simply a word or phrase that carries no more inference or power than what you are willing to fear.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Maybe be your environment, it isn't mine. If you find it offensive, that is your option, one that I do not care to share. I've more important things to worry about in life.

Again, your environment. Never thought much about it, but as part of the rules I learned and have referred to it as the pitcher's plate since I started umpiring in 1966. In the 1936 version of the "Softball Official Rules" publication, it is defined on page three as the Pitcher's Plate. So, if you find that phrase "rubber" as offensive, it is something that you and those with whom you associate were using, not those who love the game. Yet, if you listen to those who announce softball games including females, they will occasionally refer the PP as the rubber as a matter of simple reference. I do not.

I don't care if the participants are male, female or pink transexuals with purple polka dots, it is simply a word or phrase that carries no more inference or power than what you are willing to fear.
Which is why our society has evolved..or devolved..depending on your point of view...

Because some people do care about color, sex, sexual preference...there were many who thought the "N" word was simply a word or phrase. That has changed?

Put yourself in the other persons world... if you dare.

They may care more than you about color, sexual innuendo, or sexual preference...does that make you right? Or ignorant as you suggested?

Otherwise...I can't believe you are using the "talking heads" as you have so many time called them...as your frame of reference and justification!
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
I had no idea what it meant until I googled it. But the meaning that disturbs some is endemic to a discrete linguistic and social subculture. And until the wider linguistic community socially ostracizes those who use the verb rim within its current and most understood etymological boundaries, I can only politely respond--take a hike.

In the context of softball, the context is absolutely clear and making the verb into a gerund is a function of our linguistic box. Language evolves and you ain't telling me what it means. No sexual context is implied. In my Alice in the Wonderland, the word means exactly what I say it does.
Might be why there is value in knowing your audience??

Doesn't always matter what you think it means!!
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

So, if one of our umpires uses one of her favorite catchphrases about someone "blowing it out of their @$$," we should do what, stone her? And which method of stoning her, throwing rocks at her or forcing her to party with Michael Phelps?

Sometimes some of us doth protest too much. This is not a PC world, and this is definitely not a PC avocation.

Oh, and I can go back into the 1800s on the whole pitcher's plate thing (it's baseball, but still...), so if you are going to blow the PC whistle on something bring some credibility to the table there, fella, er, ma'am, er, sir, er, oh, just shut up and get over the whole PC thing.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
So, if one of our umpires uses one of her favorite catchphrases about someone "blowing it out of their @$$," we should do what, stone her? And which method of stoning her, throwing rocks at her or forcing her to party with Michael Phelps?

Sometimes some of us doth protest too much. This is not a PC world, and this is definitely not a PC avocation.

Oh, and I can go back into the 1800s on the whole pitcher's plate thing (it's baseball, but still...), so if you are going to blow the PC whistle on something bring some credibility to the table there, fella, er, ma'am, er, sir, er, oh, just shut up and get over the whole PC thing.
I am the first to complain about the whole political correct concept...don't get me wrong...I would never give some things a second thought in men's ball.

If you are naive enough to believe it doesn"t matter in other arena's...then who am I to try and enlighten you?

This is absolutely however... a PC world...and absolutely a PC avocation...

I remember my parent's...missionaries...who would not travel to a different culture until extensively studying a specific culture. Their language, customs, clothing, food...etc..careful not to offend someone different than they.

If you don't think there are different cultures within umpiring...then good luck doing the alternative life style nationals in Monroe!!
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Oh hell, what did I start?

Guys, let's just stick with the NCAA definition for today, m'kay?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Oh hell, ...
Careful, there...
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Careful, there...
Oh hell...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I didnt invent it. I use the term to describe a term in active use as part of softball officiating.

I cant worry about if a particular umpire is offended by it and its not my job to ensure you live your life offense free. Unfortunately, I have real troubles and concerns in life, so there just is not room for your particular hang ups. Sorry.

In a word,

Get over it.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
This is not a PC world...
I'm Mac!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
...m'kay?
Been watching a little too much South Park lately???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Been watching a little too much South Park lately???
Office Space. This year's the 10-year anniversary.

Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Ronald,

Sorry this got off topic.

So, how did you like the camp? Was it what you expected? Do you think you gained anything from it?

What was the instructor/umpire ratio? How was that phone in the stadium?