The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

2010 FP Camp

Hey Ron, or anyone, has there been any mention of where the fp camp will be next year? I have heard it will be in California.
Thanks
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

They did not mention where for next year.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
... So, I think a play like that would be good to bring up in the ump's meeting before working with an unknown UIC. ...
You mean this guy?
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Gotta agree about rimming. I was working a NAFA tournament and practicing rim and I got caught behind the runner when left field pooched a can of corn that suddenly turned into a triple. Its not that great of positioning. I'm fast enough that it didnt hurt too badly, but had I been inside, I would have done better. Rim is great to be lazy. Its purpose is so you dont come in unnecessarily. Of course you never really know when that is. You never know. Rimming has no place in 2 man mechanics at all.
Wade - you say this (emphasized above), but in another post you say that an umpire should not be spectating while his partner is working.

My question on the situation posted above is: What was your PU doing? Assuming that you started in A position with no runners and were staying on the rim on the fly ball to left, your PU should pick up third for you. This is how I always pregame the rim mechanic. (except in any games I work for Darrell!)

I am a supporter of the rim mechanic for 2 and 3 umpire mechanics, but I see it as an advanced mechanic that should only be employed by experienced umpires.

Last edited by Andy; Wed Jun 17, 2009 at 01:49pm.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No comment on wade's notion that BU should rotate home in 2 man?

That's so easy, it is almost embarassing. One simple sentence, "Who is covering 2B?"
Dave,

Still waiting on an answer
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dave,

Still waiting on an answer
Wasn't my suggestion, so hell if I know.

Though I do agree with the concept in general. BU should be allowed to rotate home IF (and ONLY if) there are no other responsibilities at 1B or 2B (ie., batter hits a triple and could head home).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Wasn't my suggestion, so hell if I know.

Though I do agree with the concept in general. BU should be allowed to rotate home IF (and ONLY if) there are no other responsibilities at 1B or 2B (ie., batter hits a triple and could head home).
As long as there is a runner between 2B & 3B, how can there NOT be a potential play at 2B?

If a player hits a triple, it isn't the PUs call anyway.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I think that discussion of an umpire working outside the infield should be called working outside. Just sayin'. Rimming is an inappropriate term.
I agree about the nomenclature.

The NCAA does not have a strict adherence to the "inside-outside" theory. "Working the rim" is one specific case (base hit to LF with no runners on). Working "outside" has two underlying aspects: 1) there are two calling positions for every play (one inside and one outside); 2) the umpire can read the play and work inside or outside, which ever is beneficial to the play.

As for the first aspect, on runners on, and the BR tries to stretch a single (to LF) to a double. I can stay outside, work parallel with the runner, and be in a calling position at second that is outside. I've made a few out calls like this (2 umpire system), which I 1) never lost my priorities (obs at first, BR touching first, obs at second), 2) did not cross the path of the runner or 3) turned my back on the ball.

As for the second aspect, well, this is the key. Some umpires stay outside just for the sake of staying outside (i.e. laziness). If the BR hits a triple, or what looks to be a triple, then you can't stay outside. Staying outside does have it's place, but as Andy stated, it is an advanced technique, and should not be taught at the basic or LCD levels.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say i think it can be read when there is potential of a run down, and that mean that I dont believe the BU has reached the "unemployed spectator" status.

That status happens when the play at 3B is obvious and PU is then forced to trail the runner home on the broken play at 3B.

Lets say BU did go home early or read it incorrectly, PU would probably have to pick up the slack by taking 2B temporarily while BU readjusted.

Certianly, whatever reasoning would make someone think PU couldnt cover 2B on that, should preclude you from believe you could cover home and 3B on that. Both bases are 50-55 feet from you.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Big Slick. All systems are not fool proof for all situations. In order to work at any level, you need to be able to read and react. There are times that working the outside edge will work ,and other times it will bite you in a bad way.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think that discussion of an umpire working outside the infield should be called working outside. Just sayin'. Rimming is an inappropriate term.
Pardon my ignorance, but why is it inappropriate?
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but why is it inappropriate?
Check your private messages. I am NOT explaining this one publicly.

Rachel, you're sick.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Rachel, you're sick.
Unless I'm totally wrong. Then I'm sick.

Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Should we stop saying the player or umpire blew the play/call or the wind is blowing? Guess Bob Dylan can no longer perform "Blowin' in the Wind".

Now I know why the gallery emits oohs and aahs when a the golf ball rims the cup or the basketball rims the hoop. I always thought it was because it was such a close and exciting shot! And what is that thing called a rimshot? That must really be disgusting! And what about that Ride the Rails to the Rim Tour of the Grand Canyon? Probably don't want to go there.

Wish people would keep their "moral idealogy" in their own circles. Don't they realize that if they consider something inappropriate, vulgar or disgusting, it is their mind looking for the worst in something that causes it to be so? It's like shooting yourself in the foot and then wondering why you are having a difficult time walking!

Okay, done with that, at least here.

AFA the BU rotating home. I'm still trying to figure out how the BU can be unemployed anytime with a single runner. This "old" mechanic cannot be done without leaving 2B uncovered. Until the runner actually gets to 3B, there is always the possibility s/he can reverse course.

I actually had this happen last night. R1 tagged up at 1B on a long caught fly that was at about 320-325' deep. He had good speed and was more than 3/4 to 3B when he realized he was dead and reversed direction. I was in a holding zone watching my partner bring him to 3B.

If I had moved into the field to take the call and my partner broke off to cover home, neither of us would have been in position to make that out call on the throw back to 2B. Luckily, my partner (new umpire) correctly stayed with the runner and made the call.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

F.Y.I. This is a general comment and not directed toward Rachel or specifically to anyone else on this board.

Quote:
Should we stop saying the player or umpire blew the play/call or the wind is blowing? Guess Bob Dylan can no longer perform "Blowin' in the Wind".

Now I know why the gallery emits oohs and aahs when a the golf ball rims the cup or the basketball rims the hoop. I always thought it was because it was such a close and exciting shot! And what is that thing called a rimshot? That must really be disgusting! And what about that Ride the Rails to the Rim Tour of the Grand Canyon? Probably don't want to go there.

Wish people would keep their "moral idealogy" in their own circles. Don't they realize that if they consider something inappropriate, vulgar or disgusting, it is their mind looking for the worst in something that causes it to be so? It's like shooting yourself in the foot and then wondering why you are having a difficult time walking!

Okay, done with that, at least here.

AFA the BU rotating home. I'm still trying to figure out how the BU can be unemployed anytime with a single runner. This "old" mechanic cannot be done without leaving 2B uncovered. Until the runner actually gets to 3B, there is always the possibility s/he can reverse course.

I actually had this happen last night. R1 tagged up at 1B on a long caught fly that was at about 320-325' deep. He had good speed and was more than 3/4 to 3B when he realized he was dead and reversed direction. I was in a holding zone watching my partner bring him to 3B.

If I had moved into the field to take the call and my partner broke off to cover home, neither of us would have been in position to make that out call on the throw back to 2B. Luckily, my partner (new umpire) correctly stayed with the runner and made the call.