The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Contacts in NC & SC

I'm cosidering a move to the Charlotte NC/Rock Hill SC area in the fall and would llike to establish some contacts for both ASA and high school ball.

I work girls HS FP in the spring and Girls JO FP in the spring and summer.

Does anyone reside and officiate in that area?
Does anyone know others who I can contact to help get me started once I complete the move.

Thanks so much!
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I don't, but you need to be aware of the difference between a Yankee and a damned-Yankee.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE View Post
I'm cosidering a move to the Charlotte NC/Rock Hill SC area in the fall and would llike to establish some contacts for both ASA and high school ball.

I work girls HS FP in the spring and Girls JO FP in the spring and summer.

Does anyone reside and officiate in that area?
Does anyone know others who I can contact to help get me started once I complete the move.

Thanks so much!
Didn't I talk with you on Facebook?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I don't, but you need to be aware of the difference between a Yankee and a damned-Yankee.
The SC High School League has a good web site, www.schsl.org, which notes the softball officiating contact in the Rock Hill Area as Brown Simpson, [email protected].

Note there is a line between the Charlotte and Rock Hill. Which will you be living/working in? Or perhaps somewhere in the middle: Pineville, Fort Mill, Tega Cay or Indian Rocks. That area has some very good soft ball and in my opinion is a nice place to live. I spent the 80's in that area but I'm an hour or so south of that now.

I am not currently active in ASA but do know the long time state director who retired last year. If others do not respond, let me know and I will get you more info.

For softball or other questions about the area, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

As for Tru_in_Blu's comment, just try not to say, "The way we did it up north was..." That should keep the 'damned' off the front of your label.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
As for Tru_in_Blu's comment, just try not to say, "The way we did it up north was..." That should keep the 'damned' off the front of your label.
I'm actually going to second this comment. Being a northerner in the South, I can vouch that these kinds of statements will NOT help you.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I'm very much aware of that difference and have experienced it first hand. BTW, it has nothing to do with phrases used, though anything suggesting that someone else does anything better will not help
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm very much aware of that difference and have experienced it first hand. BTW, it has nothing to do with phrases used, though anything suggesting that someone else does anything better will not help
We actually had a guy in our crew straight outta Lawng Isl'nd. He would never stop b1tching about this, that and the other thing. "We need to get paid more" or "we need to start doing this or that." The fella would not stop complaining. He knew the game very well, but he didn't know how to play the other game: politics. He caused more controversy than any other umpire I ever met. It rubbed way too many people the wrong way.

Eventually, he stopped getting assignments, especially for tourneys. Life's been much simpler since then.

Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

BTW, a yankee is someone from the Northeast who travels through the South.

A damn yankee is someone from the Northeast who moves to the South and stays, right Grey?
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW, a yankee is someone from the Northeast who travels through the South.

A damn yankee is someone from the Northeast who moves to the South and stays, right Grey?
Let's not forget halfbacks: Yankees who move to Florida, then move halfway back up the coast to live in NC.

Yes, that's an actual term 'round here!

Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
We actually had a guy in our crew straight outta Lawng Isl'nd...
Though the country has shrunk with today's ease of travel, there are still regional differences of the level of "civility" that is expected from one another. That's not to say my redneck friends don't whine about things, they just try to do it without offending the other people in the trailer park.

I was at a full service gas station in Newark, apparently they don't allow self-serve gas, and while getting a fill-up I asked for directions to the airport. The attendant responded, "What? I look like a f*^$ing map?" Unfortunately I was in a rental or I'd've sicced my dog on him from the bed of my pickup.

By the way, you might want to study: Etiquette for Yankees Visiting the South.

And before we travel, here's the refresher course we take: UMPTEEN WAYS TO ANNOY YANKEES

Last edited by SC Ump; Sun Jun 14, 2009 at 08:03am.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was at a full service gas station in Newark, apparently they don't allow self-serve gas, and while getting a fill-up I asked for directions to the airport. The attendant responded, "What? I look like a f*^$ing map?"
Well, you may think it was a "full service" gas station, but I seriously doubt it. If it were a full service station, you would have had the oil checked, tires checked and windows cleaned.

I'll assume you are referring to New Jersey since in that state you are not allowed to pump your own fuel and the culturally accurate response.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By the way, you might want to study: Etiquette for Yankees Visiting the South.
Most of those are pretty damn accurate, with the exception of #12. The locals around here absolutely LOVE Hurricanes hockey. I think it's all the fighting... Plus the fact that Ric Flair of WWF fame is on the scoreboard whenever the 'Canes score. I think that legitimizes it.

After moving here, I dropped whatever was left of my Wisconsin accent in a heartbeat. I picked up the accent pretty quickly down here, and whenever I tell someone that I'm from Wisconsin, I usually get a double-take. "Really?!"

"Yeah, son. Rully."

Of course, whenever I visit Wisconsin, I'm always told I talk funny now.

Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, you may think it was a "full service" gas station, but I seriously doubt it. If it were a full service station, you would have had the oil checked, tires checked and windows cleaned.

I'll assume you are referring to New Jersey since in that state you are not allowed to pump your own fuel and the culturally accurate response.
You are not allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon either. But we won't cuss you out if you ask directions.

Just remember bicyclists own the road in Portland.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
You are not allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon either. But we won't cuss you out if you ask directions.

Just remember bicyclists own the road in Portland.
And here I thought the runners owned the roads in Oregon
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Didn't I talk with you on Facebook?
Wow! I guess you did.

Now, you see how desperate I am to establish these contacts before I make the move , eh?

I can't thank you enough for helping me out!

I realize being from NY will not help me much to start and I don't plan to introduce myself leading with the "we did it like this up north" talk.
I'll spend however it long it takes proving myself if I must.
Hopefully, they'll look upon me as an upstater better than they would someone from NYC.

Last edited by NYBLUE; Sun Jun 14, 2009 at 10:06pm.