The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

UMass and 3BL Extended

Yesterday I was watching U mass vs someone on CBS College Sports Channel and the play I have stated on this forum many times happened...

Runners in scoring position, ball to RF with Runner coming home for a close play at the plate ----

The PU (a female I would have to google to get her name) as she saw the runner rounding 3rd and F2 set up for the play at the plate..

She went to 3rd Base Line Extended for the perfect call on the swipe attempt by F2.

The best position on that play, for the perfect vision, and a great call and reading of the developing play.

The D coach wanted the runner out for out of basepath - PU had perfect vision of that and replay showed that wasnt the case IMO.. although the announcers were clueless as to the rule and declared the runner should have been out.

IMO ASA ignores 3BL Extended to our detriment and for that play, that is the best position, and it is a teachable position for that play. It could be in a little diagram and everything

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu May 07, 2009 at 03:02pm.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
The PU (a female I would have to google to get her name) as she saw the runner rounding 3rd and F2 set up for the play at the plate..

She went to 3rd Base Line Extended for the perfect call on the swipe attempt by F2.
Did she "set up" in that position or "end up" in that position? Two different ideas. The SUIP does not endorse "setting up" in that position (emphasis at this year's regional clinic). By the manual, "Point of Plate" and then adjust to see the play. If she were to "end up" in that position after adjustment, well that's just dandy.

As this may have worked on this play, a few weeks ago (2 umpires for a DI game ), runner at third who takes off after the force play at first (on infield hit). PU (my partner) set up in 3BL extended, makes call with both feet off the ground because the runner was sliding into him.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Did she "set up" in that position or "end up" in that position? Two different ideas. The SUIP does not endorse "setting up" in that position (emphasis at this year's regional clinic). By the manual, "Point of Plate" and then adjust to see the play. If she were to "end up" in that position after adjustment, well that's just dandy.

As this may have worked on this play, a few weeks ago (2 umpires for a DI game ), runner at third who takes off after the force play at first (on infield hit). PU (my partner) set up in 3BL extended, makes call with both feet off the ground because the runner was sliding into him.
rofl.. now, thats one i wanna see pics or video of.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Doesn't sound like 3BL extended to me... Sounds more like 3BL Not Extended Enough.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
rofl.. now, thats one i wanna see pics or video of.
I wish I had it on video, and trust me, I did do a little b@11 busting after the game. On the serious side, can you believe the defensive coach wanted to argue a "safe" call? Talk about your third-dimension view!
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thats a good point. It depends on what you mean by set up..

IMO, when she saw how the play would develop, she went to 3BL. I think this play always developes this way and that is exactly where you should go when you see this developing. The only other realistic place to go would have been inside the diamond, which is terrible and where I think ASA would advocate the umpire going.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats a good point. It depends on what you mean by set up..

IMO, when she saw how the play would develop, she went to 3BL. I think this play always developes this way and that is exactly where you should go when you see this developing. The only other realistic place to go would have been inside the diamond, which is terrible and where I think ASA would advocate the umpire going.
You must remember the "base" system of the ASA: the two-umpire system (this is not a knock or ding on ASA, I consider myself a loyal, company man). Think of the other priorities of PU in 2-umpires . . . you are always returning to the plate from a holding position between home and third. 3BL is too difficult to obtain (even if it were a good position, which it isn't ).

The NCAA has a base system of 3-umpires and advocates "point of plate" and then adjusting. I don't know anything about the little ball umpires, but I've notice they have four umpires (at least the games on my television). I'm not sure what they advocate.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Now this is one I want to hear about tonight at the meeting - especially with a few Molson's downed.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Now this is one I want to hear about tonight at the meeting - especially with a few Molson's downed.
Switch to a better beer. It may help you enjoy the meeting more.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You must remember the "base" system of the ASA: the two-umpire system (this is not a knock or ding on ASA, I consider myself a loyal, company man). Think of the other priorities of PU in 2-umpires . . . you are always returning to the plate from a holding position between home and third. 3BL is too difficult to obtain (even if it were a good position, which it isn't ).

The NCAA has a base system of 3-umpires and advocates "point of plate" and then adjusting. I don't know anything about the little ball umpires, but I've notice they have four umpires (at least the games on my television). I'm not sure what they advocate.
MiLB (and probably CCA too) says read the play and go to the best position, and they use two and three umpire crews. MLB uses four.

I've long agreed with Wade on this--if you have experience and know when to use it it's a great position. I've gone there twice in HS games this year and I had a great look at the tag both times.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Well, correct me if I am am wrong but ASA says start at a 90 degree to the tag and adjust as necessary. So I could envision an ump moving to the point of the plate extended and see the play adequately. Plus, I have done it.

New DVD (ASA Championship mechanics) says to adjust so as to have an unobstructed view.

Would I like to start at tip of plate and adjust? Yeah but when in Rome do as the Romans do.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I mean like someone said earlier.

But what do you mean by litigation, Mike?
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
I mean like someone said earlier.

But what do you mean by litigation, Mike?
Not me. That is an impersonator, the s is a 5
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

That sucks, thought I was the only one cool enough for a personal stalker.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That sucks, thought I was the only one cool enough for a personal stalker.