The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Grand Slam taken away

Ok last night I'm doing a varsity high school game. Bases loaded, 2 outs and the girl up to bat hits a shot to left field. When it left that bat there was no doubt if it was leaving the park but more like how far out of the park is this thing going.

R1, R2 touch home with no problem and turn around to congratulate the girl that has hit the HR, R3 misses home by a foot. Assistant coach sees this and starts telling the girl that she needs to go back and touch home. Just as R3 is getting ready to touch home, R4 (home run hitter) put her foot in the middle of home plate.

R3 is out for out #3 and only two runs score.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming the defense did appeal... Anyway, 3B coach shoulda told R4 to hold up.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

No they did not. I killed it when I have R4 touching the plate as R3 trying to touch it because she missed it. In my estimation R4 passed R3 by legally touching home before R3 did.

Maybe I dropped the ball on this. Partner agreed with it and neither on of the coaches said a word about it.

If I'm wrong I would like someone to reference the rule where I'm wrong int he way I handled this.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasoftballump View Post
No they did not. I killed it when I have R4 touching the plate as R3 trying to touch it because she missed it. In my estimation R4 passed R3 by legally touching home before R3 did.

Maybe I dropped the ball on this. Partner agreed with it and neither on of the coaches said a word about it.

If I'm wrong I would like someone to reference the rule where I'm wrong int he way I handled this.
You dropped the ball big time.

R3 legally scored unless properly appealed by the defense.

Wow.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

no I dont have NFHS rule books, I'm at work.. but someone will set you striaght.

Maybe I'm wrong NFHS but I think you blew that in a huge way.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

You were right in Fed for one year about ten years ago. They had the appeal process taken out and it was an automatic call by the umpire who saw the missed base. It went about as well as you can all imagine. Getting away with this call without a LOT of grief from coaches is enough to get Cudos from me though.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
You were right in Fed for one year about ten years ago. They had the appeal process taken out and it was an automatic call by the umpire who saw the missed base. It went about as well as you can all imagine. Getting away with this call without a LOT of grief from coaches is enough to get Cudos from me though.
Like most, I tend to read posts sequentially, so your first sentence was very confusing as to who you were referring to, even though I already knew who was correct and who was wrong. Clear after reading the whole post, but started .